News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fillup420

Quote from: Dirt Roads on February 02, 2022, 10:42:21 AM
It's now official.  I-40 from Hillborough to the Durham County line is now posted as the "Roy Williams Highway" and from there to NC-147 (future I-885) is the "Dean Smith Highway".  It wasn't posted along the route as of this Monday morning, as I've been watching to see when the "Harriett Morehead Berry Highway" and "John Motley Morehead III Highway" signs would come down.  This is sad in many ways, as Harriett was perhaps the first female Roadgeek.  She was pioneer of the Good Roads movement in North Carolina, and was singly responsible for increasing membership in that state organization from from 252 members in 1918 to over 5,500 members in two years.

Anyhow, there is still the roadside Historical Marker for Harriett Morehead Berry at the corner of NC-86 and Whitfield Road, which is just north of Exit 266 from I-40.

Yes, passed that marker today.

Also, not sure how I feel about Roy and Dean getting the highway name.... coming from an NC State guy

Dirt Roads

It's now official.  I-40 from Hillborough to the Durham County line is now posted as the "Roy Williams Highway" and from there to NC-147 (future I-885) is the "Dean Smith Highway".  It wasn't posted along the route as of this Monday morning, as I've been watching to see when the "Harriett Morehead Berry Highway" and "John Motley Morehead III Highway" signs would come down.  This is sad in many ways, as Harriett was perhaps the first female Roadgeek.  She was pioneer of the Good Roads movement in North Carolina, and was singly responsible for increasing membership in that state organization from from 252 members in 1918 to over 5,500 members in two years.

Anyhow, there is still the roadside Historical Marker for Harriett Morehead Berry at the corner of NC-86 and Whitfield Road, which is just north of Exit 266 from I-40.

Quote from: fillup420 on February 02, 2022, 05:13:30 PM

Also, not sure how I feel about Roy and Dean getting the highway name.... coming from an NC State guy

Go Pack!  I forgot to mention that a couple of weeks ago, the traffic reporter on WPTF mentioned "No delays on 'The Dean' and 'The Roy'" when referring to those particular stretches of I-40.  I had been watching and the "Harriett Morehead Berry Highway" was still up, so I knew that he was jumping the gun.

VTGoose

It's now official.  I-40 from Hillborough to the Durham County line is now posted as the "Roy Williams Highway" and from there to NC-147 (future I-885) is the "Dean Smith Highway".

So which road will be paved with gold to become the "Coach K Superhighway"? You know dook has to do it better.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Strider

Quote from: VTGoose on February 03, 2022, 09:25:40 AM
It's now official.  I-40 from Hillborough to the Durham County line is now posted as the "Roy Williams Highway" and from there to NC-147 (future I-885) is the "Dean Smith Highway".

So which road will be paved with gold to become the "Coach K Superhighway"? You know dook has to do it better.

You spelled Duke wrong. LOL. And I will not be surprised if I-85 through Durham turns into "Coach K Highway". But on a serious note, why are we giving names of highways... when the route numbers are already there. I hate things like that.

hbelkins

Quote from: Dirt Roads on February 02, 2022, 06:35:44 PM"No delays on 'The Dean'

How can anyone with a knowledge of basketball history say that with a straight face?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cowboy_wilhelm

Corridor K

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on February 02, 2022, 06:35:44 PM
"No delays on 'The Dean'

Quote from: hbelkins on February 03, 2022, 02:06:12 PM
How can anyone with a knowledge of basketball history say that with a straight face?

Glad that somebody got it.  The Dean will be playing stall ball two or three days a week eastbound in the mornings, and most every night westbound.

One correction.  Had to go down further towards RTP today, and there is still a duplicate "John Motley Morehead III Highway" sign between Exit 273 (NC-54/Raleigh Road) and Exit 274 (NC-751/Jordan Lake) that had not been replaced with a Dean Smith sign.

wdcrft63

Quote from: Strider on February 03, 2022, 01:54:55 PM

You spelled Duke wrong. LOL. And I will not be surprised if I-85 through Durham turns into "Coach K Highway". But on a serious note, why are we giving names of highways... when the route numbers are already there. I hate things like that.

Back in 1991 I-440 was named the Chris Benson Beltline. I suppose that is still its name, but in 30 years I have never heard anyone use the name in conversation or in news stories.

Fixed quote. - rmf67

Alex

Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 03, 2022, 05:56:33 PM
Back in 1991 I-440 was named the Chris Benson Beltline. I suppose that is still its name, but in 30 years I have never heard anyone use the name in conversation or in news stories.

Probably because it was named the Cliff Benson Beltline.  ;-)

LM117

Beginning Sunday, the Athens Drive bridge over I-440 will be closed for a year so that it can be replaced. This is part of the I-440 improvements project.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-02-04-athens-dr-bridge-i-440-closure.aspx
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

wdcrft63

Quote from: Alex on February 03, 2022, 11:34:13 PM

Sorry. But it kind of makes my point: no one knows the name.

wdcrft63

There will be nighttime lane closures next week, starting Tuesday night, on I40/85 so that the original Mebane-Oaks bridge over the freeway can be removed. After midnight only one lane will be open in each direction. Lanes should reopen by 6 am. This is part of the interchange improvement project at Exit 154.

Alex

Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 04, 2022, 05:47:17 PM

Heh, that it does.  :thumbsup:

architect77

Quote from: fillup420 on February 02, 2022, 05:13:30 PM

Fortify zone could be the Jimmy V section, but it's already the Tom Bradshaw Fwy.

CanesFan27

Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 04, 2022, 05:47:17 PM

I knew the name - Cliff Benson founded Carolina Builders where I worked for 11 years.  At the Yonkers Road store, they had a replica of the sign honoring him. He also was a former Transportation Secretary.

tolbs17

Finally...... This is coming. The 5th street improvements is supposed to start around the same time as this project is. Evans St going to 10th (which should be extended to 14th) needs it as well. Makes our town less dull looking! I can't wait to see those black light poles!

https://www.reflector.com/news/local/ncdot-plans-may-start-to-dickinson-avenue-improvements/article_ec52a8fa-3b20-598d-9019-fae345b32510.html

tolbs17

This has been updated, and now the Mid-Currituck bridge has been pushed back indefinitely. I have to assume it's unfunded now. Unless they are planning on when it will actually start but idk.

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/mid-currituck-bridge/Pages/default.aspx

architect77

What is up with the gas tax component in NC?

South Carolina and Georgia have higher priced gas per gallon.

Neither of those states's DOTs maintain all roads including county roads like NC does and historically NC's gas tax was the highest due to over 80,000 miles of roads under their responsibility.

Mapmikey

Quote from: architect77 on February 06, 2022, 05:56:49 PM

Neither of those states's DOTs maintain all roads including county roads like NC does and historically NC's gas tax was the highest due to over 80,000 miles of roads under their responsibility.

Actually SC does maintain its secondary system.  They are in the midst of a slow modest gas tax increase over multiple years.

VTGoose

You spelled Duke wrong.

No, dook is how those who don't worship the coach and the basketball team properly spell it. It is a long-standing tradition inside and outside the ACC.

Bruce in the Home of the Hokies
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

jdunlop

Quote from: VTGoose on February 07, 2022, 11:55:40 AM
You spelled Duke wrong.

No, dook is how those who don't worship the coach and the basketball team properly spell it. It is a long-standing tradition inside and outside the ACC.

Just jealous, I guess.  Certainly better than being a Turkey.  (Excuse me, Gobbler.)

(Probably going to be censored by the moderator for going off topic. :-) )

architect77

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 06, 2022, 09:14:12 PM
Quote from: architect77 on February 06, 2022, 05:56:49 PM

Actually SC does maintain its secondary system.  They are in the midst of a slow modest gas tax increase over multiple years.

OK, but I wish someone could find out if the gas tax is pegged to inflation or if it's capped (temporarily) as a gift to those struggling.

SC did good by raising its tax because I-85 is being partially rebuilt and it's an important industrial corridor worth billions to Georgia and the Caroiinas.

SC's secondary roads are not built to high standards. The grading isn't gentle, there are often no shoulders and sometime they resemble privately-owned roads in the rural areas.

Florida seems to require the very highest standards in terms of water drainage, culverts, and the adjunct infrastructure. NC is somewhere in the middle.

tolbs17

When talking about I-85, I assume you mean concrete is less fuel-consuming than asphalt is.

hbelkins

You spelled Duke wrong.

Oft-used phrase around these parts: "You can't spell dUKe without UK."

Oft-seen T-shirt and bumper sticker around these parts, 30 years later: "I Still Hate Laettner."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jdunlop

Quote from: hbelkins on February 08, 2022, 11:12:53 AM
You spelled Duke wrong.

Oft-used phrase around these parts: "You can't spell dUKe without UK."

Oft-seen T-shirt and bumper sticker around these parts, 30 years later: "I Still Hate Laettner."

And we have the "We Still Love Laettner" shirts around here.

Driving back to Durham after THAT game, we stopped at the service area in either Delaware or Maryland.  On my way in, a young lady was coming out wearing a shirt that showed "uk" under her jacket.  I said hi, she growled, I realized there wasn't a D and an e on either end of that shirt covered by her jacket.  Pantone 287 (Duke) and Pantone 288 (UK) aren't very different!

(See, mentioning the service area on I-95 brings it back to a highway discussion!  I'll stop now.  :cool: )

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.