News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebrickproductions

A long standing error over on Moulton Street in Decatur, AL:
Old US 72 Shield by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Old US 72 Shield by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
US 72 doesn't run through Decatur (although US 72 Alt. does) and this sign is approaching US 31. Though one could argue that it's correct since going north from here does take you to US 72, but you'd have to go all the way up to Athens before you reach it.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

SidS1045

Quote from: jbnv on May 21, 2015, 02:54:26 PM
(MS is Mississippi.)

...unless you're on a boat, in which case MS is Massachusetts.  The USCG state abbreviations are not necessarily in sync with the USPS ones.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Scott5114

Maybe a bit subtle at first glance. Read carefully.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Kacie Jane

Reading carefully isn't giving it to me (unless I'm blind).  Unless the exit is actually on the left, I'm thinking this is Dept. of Redundancy Department material, and possibly Signs with Design Errors, but nothing that's actually erroneous.

(Or unless the "exit" is an at-grade 90-degree turn, but that's a bit anal for my tastes, and definitely nothing I haven't seen before.)

Scott5114

Should be "Britton Road – Right Lane, Exit Only." Upon exiting, you can, in fact, go left on Britton.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Kacie Jane

Oh, I see what you're saying, that might qualify. But I mean, it's still a right off the mainline, so...

jakeroot

That's as may be, Scott, but "right" isn't a cardinal direction. I can't think of any DOT that posts "right" and "left" as directions on a road. It's always south, north, east, or west.

SignGeek101

Quote from: jakeroot on June 07, 2015, 02:08:10 AM
It's always south, north, east, or west.

What about EST, OUEST, NORD & SUD?  :bigass:

yakra

But don't they drive on the left in Britain?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

roadman65

I noticed one on the Exit 10 ramp to CR 514 east in Edison,NJ.  Fords, which was one of the two control cities for the ramp departing the complex interchange for that roadway, is been replaced with Raritan Center.

The problem is Raritan Center is the other way on 514.  It is signed as such for the proper ramp, which leads me to conclude that either NJTA or NJDOT goofed on the sign gantry as if you head east on 514 you will not find any follow ups for U Turn, or even one directing you east on CR 501 to Old Post Road which also gets you into the Raritan Center.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alex

Quote from: Zeffy on June 08, 2015, 03:52:51 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.008907,-81.052273,3a,44.4y,70.53h,95.8t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sxC2e2qIjzrR-rEow08LTrQ!2e0

Erroneous because at this point I-126 has ended; you are solely on US 76.

The addition of that shield may have been related to the Business Spur I-126 concept. South Carolina has erroneously signed business spurs with tri-color Interstate shields before.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Zeffy on June 08, 2015, 03:52:51 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.008907,-81.052273,3a,44.4y,70.53h,95.8t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sxC2e2qIjzrR-rEow08LTrQ!2e0

Erroneous because at this point I-126 has ended; you are solely on US 76.
Technically, I would not call it an error because it is still freeway status. Except I-180 in Wyoming, if there is an at grade intersection/ends sign at the end point, I can safely say that it has ended.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Zeffy

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 08, 2015, 05:07:58 PM
Technically, I would not call it an error because it is still freeway status. Except I-180 in Wyoming, if there is an at grade intersection/ends sign at the end point, I can safely say that it has ended.

The speed limit at this point is 35 miles per hour though, which automatically disqualifies it from being a freeway in my book. Plus, I believe I-126 effectively ends at this sign; on Google Maps, it is marked as US 76 only. I can't find any official document stating where I-126 ends, but there is a diamond warning sign less than 1/4 of a mile away that says "FREEWAY ENDS". Still, that 35 MPH sign to me says "the freeway is done" to me. Not to mention the shoulder line disappearing after the gore.

Quote from: Alex on June 08, 2015, 05:03:52 PM
The addition of that shield may have been related to the Business Spur I-126 concept. South Carolina has erroneously signed business spurs with tri-color Interstate shields before.

Interesting. I suppose it's possible, but this shield is just a standard I-126 shield, with "INTERSTATE" in the top portion and not BUSINESS. I'm not too versed in this region though, so perhaps someone else can shed some more light on if it was intended or not.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.861727,-80.630623,3a,75y,343.6h,95.88t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sA4uR8syprepZlJxzFnfjcQ!2e0!6m1!1e1  What happened to US 98?

All other routes are correct though, but they left out a key US route here as 98 is concurrent with US 441 here.

Sheryl Crowe

SignGeek101

Supposed to be Hwy 75 (different shield), not 100.

100 goes East-West and is the bridge which this sign is posted on.

https://goo.gl/maps/HCdM9

Takumi

These two shields are on US 1/460 Business at VA 226. They're for a future construction project (a roundabout or two, I think). In addition to the erroneous US shield the direction is erroneous as VA 226, being an old alignment of US 460, is universally posted East-West.

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

noelbotevera

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

noelbotevera

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

spooky

I realize it's not an apples to apples comparison because your link is the continuation of US 76 WB, which is not the same as the ramp shown in my example. I could be interpreting the street view wrong, but it looks to me that if you stay in the right two lanes designated by the two signs you posted, you will end up on I-126, so I don't see any reason NOT to sign them in the same manner as if they were ramps leading to I-126.

roadman65

www.google.com/maps/@40.866551,-73.83157,3a,37.5y,45.92h,85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syNR7L4KOWGcD83HygCmV8A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1
This is not an error of google, its an error of somebody being careless in the NYSTA.  Taken in The Bronx at Exit 11 for Co-op City Road.

Sheryl Crowe

apeman33

I'm about ready to go down to Crestline and points south and snap photos of all the improper signage at the U.S. 400/Alt 69/160 junction as well as the 69-160-400/K-171 junction south of town. They're driving me nuts.

hbelkins

What's wrong with it, other than (as best I can recall) some odd shield shapes? I've been through those intersections a couple of times and don't recall anything that much out of the ordinary.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mwb1848

High-flying, directional stack interchanges don't come cheap. So the state of Texas has been building the new stack interchange at IH-10 and Loop 375 in East El Paso two ramps at a time. Each pair of ramps is treated as a unique project and let separately from all the rest. This approach has lead to a piece-meal approach to signage.

Ramps five and six just opened and accompanying signage went up.

Under the new alignment, eastbound traffic on IH-10 uses Exit 34A to get to the northbound and southbound Loop 375 freeway lanes, while using Exit 34B to get to Joe Battle Boulevard and Americas Avenue, which are the Loop 375 frontage roads. These errant signs were up for about a month before the Loop 375 shields were removed leaving WAAAY too much green space.

A handful of other signs have had to be greened-out because they indicated the Exit 34A direct connector only sent to Loop 375 north.

Of all the recently installed eastbound signage, this sign bridge is the only one that didn't have to be modified.

By contrast, all the westbound signage got it right.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.