News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theline

No danger that it was me if that was a Caddy.  :bigass:

I was fearing ice on the return trip on Monday, but didn't see any despite the frigid temps until I got to Indiana. The Hoosier State was a mess.

PHLBOS

Quote from: theline on January 09, 2014, 10:10:34 PM
formulanone, were you following me? I just drove through there on Saturday on my way to Mobile, and that looks kinda like the Chevy Impala I was driving.
Quote from: formulanone on January 09, 2014, 10:33:54 PMIt's a Cadillac CTS coupe that served as the "radar bait" until jumping off at Birmingham.

FYI theline, no Chevy Impala to date ever featured single, long, vertical tail-lights and last Impala coupe was the '81 model. 
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alex

Quote from: formulanone on January 09, 2014, 06:34:23 PM
South of the I-65 and AL 69 overlap, there must have been some confusion...

Must be a rather new sign; StreetView is from September 2013, and it has the right shield (and no Clearview).

And yet another sign where the letter height in Clearview must be Taller than needed. Since they added Dodge City to that exit, they must have replaced all the other signs, including the barely old Clearview sign at one half mile out:

mass_citizen

vtk

Just found this on Street View...

Southwestbound on Market St in Washington CH, Ohio:
[East]
[US 62]
[OH 3]

Should be:
[West]
[US 62]
[South]
[OH 3]
[OH 38]

https://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=39.543094,-83.431431&spn=0.004459,0.00707&t=m&z=17&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=39.543164,-83.43133&panoid=AAtHPMmjnWKzljhlc2NuWw&cbp=12,241.81,,1,3.35
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

hotdogPi

Quote from: vtk on January 12, 2014, 08:17:09 PM
Just found this on Street View...

Southwestbound on Market St in Washington CH, Ohio:
[East]
[US 62]
[OH 3]

Should be:
[West]
[US 62]
[South]
[OH 3]
[OH 38]

https://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=39.543094,-83.431431&spn=0.004459,0.00707&t=m&z=17&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=39.543164,-83.43133&panoid=AAtHPMmjnWKzljhlc2NuWw&cbp=12,241.81,,1,3.35

Who thought it was EAST? It's more west than east!
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

PurdueBill

Quote from: 1 on January 12, 2014, 08:50:38 PM
Who thought it was EAST? It's more west than east!

US 62 in Ohio can't decide whether it is North-South or East-West.  It used to be N-East/S-West in places but that is long gone now.  Panning around and going down the street you can find another error with OH 3 posted as East-West along with 62, but at least 62's directions are correct.

hotdogPi

It's the fact that they signed it 180° opposite. If it was a 90˚ mistake, it would not have been as much of an error.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

vtk

Yes, if it were:
[South]
[US 62]
[OH 3]
[OH 38]

I would deem that as perfectly acceptable.  (I firmly believe US 62 should be signed N—S in Ohio; particularly south of Columbus, but might as well do the whole thing since PA and NY also sign it N—S.)  But if you're going technically west on one route and south on two others, putting an EAST banner over two of the routes and forgetting the third is just plain wrong.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

PurdueBill

Not disagreeing that EAST is wrong--just find it amusing that not only can't they decide on N-S or E-W for it, but they manage to get it wrong with 50-50 odds of randomly pulling a correct direction out of four.  EAST with OH 3 is even more unforgivable. 

roadman65

Here is one that lacks good placement of an exit number tab that could make it look like LA 1 South has no official exit number.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on January 15, 2014, 12:18:43 PM
Here is one that lacks good placement of an exit number tab that could make it look like LA 1 South has no official exit number.

Those BGS' right there are probably the most blatant examples of where not to use the Clearview font (route numbers, all-CAPs & dark-on-light background).  Something tells me that that exit tab (the only thing in Highway Gothic) was placed later on.  Is that true?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

NE2

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=25.822704,-80.279653&spn=0.015664,0.028346&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=25.822691,-80.279871&panoid=h4kz2EjwMxBXQoKlg0B8zA&cbp=12,277.44,,0,9.39
You can't turn left on US 27, dunce. (Though it could be referring to continuing straight at a 45 degree angle to the left and looping back around, but I don't see any signage for that.)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Zeffy

Quote from: roadman65 on January 15, 2014, 12:18:43 PM

Obligatory redesign:

A few notes:

* I did not find a BGS-suitable Louisiana route shield anywhere on Wikipedia. Therefore, I used the standalone marker and expanded it's width slightly. I am well aware that this is probably not a good method at all (actually, it isn't), so if anyone would like to donate a Louisiana shield for guide sign use, that would be great.

* I renumbered the exits to 153A-B because I feel that exits that reference the same route should be considered the same - but differentiated with A or B (exceptions apply to this rule). I do not know anything about this area of the United States to know where this was taken, therefore I renumbered the exits for my redesign.

* I opted to keep the Clearview legend as that is what Clearview may be used for, but reverted everything else back into it's Highway Gothic equivalent because the other uses were incorrect (especially the shield digits and the 'EXIT ONLY' text).
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

PHLBOS

Quote from: Zeffy on January 15, 2014, 01:47:41 PMObligatory redesign:

Nice redesign; but I would have placed the exit tabs to the top-right of each message.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

1995hoo

I was chagrined when I saw this earlier this afternoon, as I've walked past it hundreds of times (it's in front of the Fairfax County courthouse) and I'd never noticed the error before. I guess that's just proof how you often ignore signs in familiar places.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sammi

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 15, 2014, 02:50:23 PM

They're supposed to be state routes, right? Because US 23 and 36 are nowhere close.

Zeffy

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 15, 2014, 02:48:33 PM
Nice redesign; but I would have placed the exit tabs to the top-right of each message.

Normally I would've as well. But, when I was designing the sign, I thought it looked better if they were both aligned in the center rather than the right edge. However, I'll let you be the judge of that:

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

bassoon1986

Quote from: Zeffy on January 15, 2014, 02:57:47 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on January 15, 2014, 02:48:33 PM

Normally I would've as well. But, when I was designing the sign, I thought it looked better if they were both aligned in the center rather than the right edge. However, I'll let you be the judge of that:

And what's funny is this is generally how the sign looked before it was redone. Except without Clearview, and it had one exit number, 153. It was one sign with a line separating the cities and directions like you've done.

1995hoo

Quote from: sammi on January 15, 2014, 02:54:11 PM
They're supposed to be state routes, right? Because US 23 and 36 are nowhere close.

Correct, Virginia state primary routes.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

GA 135 signed as non-existent US 135 (I counted three of them along the route)...

Edited link.

JoePCool14

Quote from: formulanone on January 16, 2014, 01:24:58 PM
GA 135 signed as non-existent US 135 (I counted three of them along the route)...

Not to mention, those are pretty ugly shields.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

formulanone

Georgia seems to commonly use 2dus shields for 3dus, but then shrinks them down a further 10% and keeps the bottoms extra pointy for no reason at all.

hbelkins

Georgia has a lot of different shield shapes for both state and US routes. I should really post some of my limited number of Georgia photos in that "differences in US route markers" thread.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Eth

That particular state shield design is the one that was most commonly used for signs erected in roughly the 2000-2008 time period. It is by far my least favorite of the common designs.

I don't really have a huge issue with those US shields, except that I'd probably reduce the inter-digit spacing a bit (and, of course, swap out the US 135 for a GA 135).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.