News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

A Right Turn Only Lane And A Slip Lane Doing The Same Movement?

Started by CoreySamson, March 14, 2021, 06:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreySamson

I thought this was interesting enough to have its own thread: a right turn only lane and a slip lane doing the same movement...

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.1631833,-95.4523737,3a,25.6y,23.51h,87.14t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8uO5SGWHPbekSSaGBKssSA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

This exists here to provide Western Avenue with access from the light without creating a dangerous turning situation from the slip lane across the traffic. I was wondering how many other junctions with this setup exist around the world. Any other examples?
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

sprjus4

I-64 West / US-13 Northampton Blvd off ramp in Norfolk, VA.

The slip right turn lane is intended for traffic turning right onto Northampton Blvd to then turn right again onto Wesleyan Dr, the middle and left right turn lanes are intended for traffic turning right onto Northampton Blvd and continuing, and the left right turn lane is intended for traffic turning right onto Northampton Blvd then left onto Premium Outlets Blvd. All of these movements are outlined on an overhead sign.

Since there's no restrictions on the slip lane though, it's not uncommon for through traffic on Northampton Blvd to use it then merge into traffic to avoid the signal. If they want through traffic to turn at the light and to truly restrict that slip lane for traffic destined to Wesleyan Dr, then they need to put up a barrier or something along those lines.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

The Fredericksburg area has a couple and I know of one in Manassas.

The newest one of these, I-95 SB ramp to VA 3 WB is really more about the right turn that comes quickly, as the weaving on VA 3 was a nightmare most any time of the day.  There is a left turn at that intersection but it is only for Burger King and a small hotel, which I'm sure was difficult when this was still a free-flowing clover interchange.

Triple right turn lane, which is to stop backing up onto the mainline of 95 (C/D lane eventually) in afternoon rush!  https://goo.gl/maps/GFS3dA9J5792mKvA6

The signal movement at that intersection is complex, as the two sets of right turn signals are not green at the same time
https://goo.gl/maps/aX97f9yLTdPupVEt8

TheHighwayMan3561

I've never seen this, since a lot of the time signage expressly prohibits taking a right turn if you miss the slip lane.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Big John

webny99

I suspect this isn't what's being looked for, but there would be many more examples if we included roundabouts.

jeffandnicole

In exaggerated examples, some NJ jughandles allow right turns at the jughandle before the intersection, then again at the intersection itself.  I say exaggerated, as those double right turn options are usually much further in distance than the examples mentioned by the OP and others.

ilpt4u

One I passed on the way to STL Airport parking this afternoon. This is the exit ramp from I-70 WB to Natural Bridge Road, where some of the Airport Economy Parking options are

https://goo.gl/maps/bconaEJMCqaNyMoEA

rickmastfan67

This is the only one I know of in the Pittsburgh area.  It's on US-19 going NB @ Pine Creek Road.  My guess it was done to allow another option for people to turn left due to the very short left turn lane.  That, or the former Ice Cream place that was there at the corner where the First Commonwealth Bank is now located.

SkyPesos

Bruce

Plenty of them around the Seattle metro area, especially for interchanges where buses need to use the outside lane to avoid merging across too many lanes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.