News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"Second Right" "Next right" on BGS

Started by colinstu, September 12, 2012, 09:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinstu

What exactly are the rules for design and when/where these words should be used for signs?

Examples:
Next right:

Second right:

I never noticed these ... suggestions ... I guess you'd call them until just recently.

Thanks

roadfro

I believe both applications are supposed to be used as "advance" notice signs; not at the exit, but at a distance less than 1/4 mile ahead of the sign location.

My interpretation is that "Second Right" really should only be used in conjunction with another sign that already says "Next Right". I.e. If the signs in the second photo were about 1/8 mile from exit 76A, the sign for Capitol Dr would say "Next Right" on the bottom, the other would be unaltered.

That's all an educated guess without looking at what the MUTCD has to say...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

myosh_tino

In California, the use of "NEXT RIGHT" and "SECOND RIGHT" are supposed to be limited to Supplemental Destination (G86-CA series) signs.  AFAIK, these signs are meant to be ground-mounted rather than overhead signs and are not placed near an exit or in combination with an exit direction sign.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

mcdonaat

In Louisiana, on LA 1 North at I-10, there is a BGS showing SECOND RIGHT for I-10 West, along with the arrow for I-10 East. Reasoning is explained by the small intersection for the Port of Baton Rouge, located between I-10 East and I-10 West. Makes perfect sense to me. http://goo.gl/maps/k4vsQ

Central Avenue

I think the most common application of "NEXT RIGHT" I've seen here in Ohio is services signs for unnumbered exits. So instead of "FOOD - EXIT 31" you'll see something like "FOOD - NEXT RIGHT".

It seems a bit awkward to me--obviously real exit numbers would be preferable--but I suppose I can understand the reasoning.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Scott5114

Oklahoma uses "NEXT RIGHT" even when exit numbers are available on supplemental destination signs. So not "Univ. of Phoenix, Exit 110", but "Univ. of Phoenix, Next Right".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Takumi

Virginia generally only uses it on freeways/expressways that don't have exit numbers.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alps

The MUTCD is your friend. (Full text is online.) The text is used when you're already at the interchange (or just in advance) and a distance would be inappropriate.

Scott5114

Kansas is apt to use a down arrow in this case.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

The High Plains Traveler

I'm seeing some "2nd RIGHT" (or "...LEFT TURN") in this area. When did the ordinal number become acceptable?
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Takumi

There's a "Third Right" on a BGS on southbound VA 288 near the US 360 interchange. The third right is for Commonwealth Centre Parkway, which serves several businesses.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Special K

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on September 13, 2012, 10:36:15 PM
I'm seeing some "2nd RIGHT" (or "...LEFT TURN") in this area. When did the ordinal number become acceptable?

It's not.

Alps

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on September 13, 2012, 10:36:15 PM
Strictly speaking, the text message on the sign is up to the agency, be it NEXT RIGHT, KEEP RIGHT, SECOND, 2nd, etc. I don't believe the MUTCD delves into anything beyond NEXT/KEEp.

mukade

The following seems to me to be a good use of SECOND RIGHT on a freeway where two interchanges are close together.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=41.125207,-85.186057&spn=0.01584,0.042272&t=h&z=15

colinstu

Yep Mukade, both of the examples I have shown the exits are pretty close to each other. ~500 feet for my first picture, ~1000 feet for my second picture. (0.1 and 0.2 miles)

zorb58

I think they should say "This Exit" or "Next Exit" all the time.

colinstu

Quote from: zorb58 on September 15, 2012, 11:04:11 PM

I think that's indicated by the arrow that points to the right and the fact it's to the right of another upcoming exit sign.

Alps

"This Exit" should never be used. Normally, if the rightmost sign has an arrow, the next sign would have "Next Exit." In the case depicted, where you have a bend to the right and the actual gore point isn't immediately visible, "Second Right" lends some clarity that "Next Exit" would not - namely, that you should not consider that gore point around the corner the "Next Exit" you are looking for.

zorb58

Quote from: Steve on September 16, 2012, 03:11:59 AM
"This Exit" should never be used. Normally, if the rightmost sign has an arrow, the next sign would have "Next Exit." In the case depicted, where you have a bend to the right and the actual gore point isn't immediately visible, "Second Right" lends some clarity that "Next Exit" would not - namely, that you should not consider that gore point around the corner the "Next Exit" you are looking for.

My point is that they're exits, not primarily right turns.  Why call them rights?

I feel that "Next Exit" is descriptive enough. I don't think it's hard for a person to read it and think "not this one in sequence, but the next one."

And I mentioned "This Exit" not to go on actual exit signs, but signs with destinations... shoulda explained better, sorry! Example: Airport/Car Rentals THIS EXIT

DaBigE

Quote from: zorb58 on September 16, 2012, 02:19:46 PM
Quote from: Steve on September 16, 2012, 03:11:59 AM

My point is that they're exits, not primarily right turns.  Why call them rights?

I feel that "Next Exit" is descriptive enough. I don't think it's hard for a person to read it and think "not this one in sequence, but the next one."

And I mentioned "This Exit" not to go on actual exit signs, but signs with destinations... shoulda explained better, sorry! Example: Airport/Car Rentals THIS EXIT

In the case of the photo posted by mukade, I believe saying "Second Right" is more appropriate in this situation than "Next Exit", since there are no other indications as to whether the exit is a right or left exit (no tabs on the top). As for "This Exit", I would reserve that phrase as a last resort. IMO, the signs should be as descriptive as possible, so the only time "This Exit" should be used is when there is no exit number to reference.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

myosh_tino

Signs like your example I quoted above should be located upstream from the exit, not *at* the exit and the wording should be "Airport/Car Rentals NEXT EXIT".  I don't there is a practical use for "THIS EXIT".

Here's a quick illustration of what I'm saying...

Putting the "San Jose Int'l Airport NEXT EXIT" sign (called a supplemental guide sign in California) near the exit direction sign for CA-87 doesn't give drivers enough time to process both signs and realize they need to exit now to get to the airport.  By placing the supplemental guide sign upstream from the exit should provide enough time for drivers to exit the freeway.

Note: for those of you familiar with this stretch of US 101, the signs in the above drawing do not reflect what's out in the field.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

zorb58

Quote from: myosh_tino on September 16, 2012, 06:51:16 PM
Signs like your example I quoted above should be located upstream from the exit, not *at* the exit and the wording should be "Airport/Car Rentals NEXT EXIT".  I don't there is a practical use for "THIS EXIT".

Here's a quick illustration of what I'm saying...

Putting the "San Jose Int'l Airport NEXT EXIT" sign (called a supplemental guide sign in California) near the exit direction sign for CA-87 doesn't give drivers enough time to process both signs and realize they need to exit now to get to the airport.  By placing the supplemental guide sign upstream from the exit should provide enough time for drivers to exit the freeway.

I think it does make sense to say "this exit."  To me it just means "this upcoming exit." This makes sense especially if they are mounted directly next to each other or if the supplemental sign is after one or more regular signs for the exit.  Obviously I'm in the minority, but I find it's use could be more practical.

By the way, I'd be alright with the example that you made because it uses the word "Exit" as opposed to "Right."  That's really the root of my original post.

PurdueBill

Heck, why go "THIS EXIT" when you can go "THESE EXITS"?  Which exits are these exits? How do I know when I have left these exits and have reached those exits?

On US 30 near Van Wert, Ohio recently I saw a couple blue button copy services signs that mentioned "NEXT EXIT" while most say "NEXT RIGHT", and at least one of them struck me as one that I thought should say EXIT instead of RIGHT for a long time because it came before at least one crossroad preceding the exit the sign refers to.  (This is on one of the many sections of US 30 with crossroads for minor country roads and interchanges for major routes.)  I have to look on an old street view and see if they did change them sometime recently.  Ohio has been known to actually use "new" button copy pieces parts on services signs, like the ones on I-71 at exit 209 where they added button copy letter Bs when the exit became an A-B, and on US 30 west of Mansfield in 2009 they installed a pair of button copy blue services signs that were obviously recycled but it was still exciting to see "new" button copy erected on a stretch of road that opened in 2005 with otherwise only reflective signs for miles and miles.

roadman65

In Puerto Rico they do.  Proxima Salida which translates to that.

Virginia did "THIS EXIT" on I-64 for the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway back in the 80s for the US 250 interchange in Afton on an auxilllary guide there.  I am sure now they use the exit number instead like many other states do I would think. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

I love the way private company billboards near an exit use EXIT NOW!  It is good for them, but it would not go over for proper public road signs.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.