News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most absurd VMS messages

Started by Pete from Boston, July 10, 2015, 12:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeTheActuary

Not so much absurd as somewhat passive-aggressive,  ConnDOT CT 2A @ Exit for Mohegan Sun / Mohegan Reservation

DON'
GAMBLE
W/ HEALTH

Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun reopened on Monday despite Governor's request that they stay closed until CT's Phase 2 begins, tentatively on the 20th.  However, since the Mashuntucket Pequots and Mohegans have sovereignty on their lands....

KEVIN_224

That next phase of reopening will now be June 17th, according to ABC channel 8 of New Haven.

US71

Quote from: Eth on May 23, 2020, 02:06:52 PM
Seen today on eastbound US 29/78 approaching the beginning of the Stone Mountain Freeway:

Do you have a hotline to the hereafter?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ozarkman417

Found this off of Instagram, so I can't confirm if this is true or not (should it be true, the message likely had to do with the riots).

SM-G965U

Bruce

In response to the protests in Seattle:

webny99

NY has had recently:

WE ARE
NY TOUGH

Not sure if that's specific to upstate, or in use downstate as well.

kphoger

During my morning commute, both yesterday and today:

BE ALERT
FOR
ORANGE SIGNS

OK, why?  Is there a construction project starting soon?  If so, when?  And where?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on July 02, 2020, 08:47:49 AM

BE ALERT
FOR
ORANGE SIGNS

OK, why?  Is there a construction project starting soon?  If so, when?  And where?

I don't know, but when you find out, you won't be able to say you weren't warned.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on July 02, 2020, 12:56:19 PM

BE ALERT
FOR
ORANGE SIGNS

I don't know, but when you find out, you won't be able to say you weren't warned.

If I suddenly disappear from the forum soon, you can be sure an orange sign fell on my car and put me in the hospital.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

If you're alert, hopefully you can get out of the way in time and that won't happen!

roadman

Quote from: Ben114 on May 27, 2020, 01:53:45 PM
Reminds me of the "Practice vehicle distancing, observe speed limit" in MA.

I'd forgotten about that one.  But I do recall the time they tried using the spacing 'dots' on the upper section of I-91.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on July 02, 2020, 01:23:48 PM
Quote from: webny99 on July 02, 2020, 12:56:19 PM

BE ALERT
FOR
ORANGE SIGNS

If I suddenly disappear from the forum soon, you can be sure an orange sign fell on my car and put me in the hospital.

Will insurance pay, or will they claim you weren't alert enough?

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Takumi

You're not a firework
Don't drive lit
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: ozarkman417 on June 06, 2020, 11:20:02 AM
Found this off of Instagram, so I can't confirm if this is true or not (should it be true, the message likely had to do with the riots).

SM-G965U
It's true.   We saw one of those when the riots were going on.

wanderer2575

Seen today on southbound M-10 in Southfield, MI.  Umm, this VMS is located *at* Mt. Vernon Street, right at the end of the construction zone.

GaryV

Channeling Aretha (I-696 in Royal Oak, among others):

SHOW SOME
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
  MASK UP!

MCRoads

seen on several signs in Louisville, KY.

I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

skquinn

Quote from: Bruce on July 10, 2015, 01:22:12 AM
Technically a VMS, but Seattle's buses often switch to a "GO SEAHAWKS", "GO SOUNDERS" or "GO MARINERS" sign instead of their destination. It's a nice gesture, but it actually makes things inconvenient for bus riders and thus should be limited to stretches without any stops.

Metro 2716 "Go Sounders" at 3rd & Pine by SounderBruce, on Flickr

(Sorry for the blurry pic)

Houston has been doing this as well, with "GO ASTROS!", "GO ROCKETS!", "GO TEXANS!" depending on the season (possibly variations for the Dynamo and Dash as well but I have not seen them).

webny99

Here's the latest from NY:

(screen 1)
SPEED LIMIT
STRICTLY ENFORCED

(screen 2)
BETTER LATE
THAN NEVER

That leaves quite a bit to the imagination. Are they referring to their enforcement?

STLmapboy

Quote from: webny99 on August 07, 2020, 03:45:58 PM
Here's the latest from NY:

(screen 1)
SPEED LIMIT
STRICTLY ENFORCED

(screen 2)
BETTER LATE
THAN NEVER

That leaves quite a bit to the imagination. Are they referring to their enforcement?

I mean, given the unfortunately lackluster police presence in NYC over the past several weeks, it very much could.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

kphoger

On the way to work this morning, I saw...

EXIT CLOSED
NB I135 AT I235

...which seems useful and clear.

Except that it didn't use a serif font.  So it ended up looking like 'NB 1135 AT 1235' instead.
Male pronouns, please.

D-Dey65

Quote from: skquinn on August 03, 2020, 06:23:52 AM
Quote from: Bruce on July 10, 2015, 01:22:12 AM
Technically a VMS, but Seattle's buses often switch to a "GO SEAHAWKS", "GO SOUNDERS" or "GO MARINERS" sign instead of their destination. It's a nice gesture, but it actually makes things inconvenient for bus riders and thus should be limited to stretches without any stops.

Metro 2716 "Go Sounders" at 3rd & Pine by SounderBruce, on Flickr

(Sorry for the blurry pic)

Houston has been doing this as well, with "GO ASTROS!", "GO ROCKETS!", "GO TEXANS!" depending on the season (possibly variations for the Dynamo and Dash as well but I have not seen them).
Oh, SEPTA does it too on their buses and trolleys too. I caught a "GO SIXERS!" sign on a K-Car on my first full ride on the Route 36 trolley in 2011.

kphoger

You know, when I'm looking at the front of a bus, I really just want to know if it's the right route.  Show me the route number and name/destination.  Flip between the two.  Whatever.  But don't make me wait through a nonsense message that doesn't tell me if I need to flag the driver down or not.
Male pronouns, please.

ozarkman417

Portable VMSs were installed on some of the major throughfares entering Springfield, MO city limits (excluding freeways). They read the following message:

FOR AGES 12+

FACE COVERING REQUIRED

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.