News:

The server restarts at 2 AM daily. This results in a short period of downtime, so if you get a 502 error at that time, that is why.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: LilianaUwU on September 24, 2025, 11:43:46 PMI would say that they shouldn't be allowed on roads that already have imagery of less than a certain number of years ago.

Then, whenever a road construction project wraps up, we'd all be complaining about how they don't update their imagery often enough.

It's almost like Google's purpose in having Street View isn't so roadgeeks can armchair-road-trip down a highway, but so normal people can see a panorama from a given point.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.


Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on September 25, 2025, 01:56:39 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on September 24, 2025, 11:43:46 PMI would say that they shouldn't be allowed on roads that already have imagery of less than a certain number of years ago.

Then, whenever a road construction project wraps up, we'd all be complaining about how they don't update their imagery often enough.

It's almost like Google's purpose in having Street View isn't so roadgeeks can armchair-road-trip down a highway, but so normal people can see a panorama from a given point.
Street view is still surprisingly fantastic for armchair road trips. Yes there are still small areas of no modern coverage but they are frequently out giving those areas new coverage. For example, WA 20 in the Cascades, US 3 near Canada, and practically all of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
My username has been outdated since August 2023 but I'm too lazy to change it

vdeane

Quote from: kphoger on September 25, 2025, 01:56:39 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on September 24, 2025, 11:43:46 PMI would say that they shouldn't be allowed on roads that already have imagery of less than a certain number of years ago.

Then, whenever a road construction project wraps up, we'd all be complaining about how they don't update their imagery often enough.

It's almost like Google's purpose in having Street View isn't so roadgeeks can armchair-road-trip down a highway, but so normal people can see a panorama from a given point.
The thing is, having recent coverage on even remote roads helps that too.  Street View is an important navigational tool - whenever I go somewhere unfamiliar, I use street view to check turns and potential TOTSOs so that I know where I'm going and can make sure that everything is well-signed (or at least has landmarks).  That's no possible if there's no street view or the street view is ancient.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Quote from: vdeane on September 25, 2025, 08:17:31 PMThe thing is, having recent coverage on even remote roads helps that too.  Street View is an important navigational tool - whenever I go somewhere unfamiliar, I use street view to check turns and potential TOTSOs so that I know where I'm going and can make sure that everything is well-signed (or at least has landmarks).  That's no possible if there's no street view or the street view is ancient.

I've reached a new level of roadgeekiness in travel planning.  I plot out all turns and intermediate towns, along with the mile marker for each, then an expected timetable for the whole dang trip.

On a trip last year that had us going from Goodland KS to Wray CO, which included a lot of old GSV imagery and also the aforementioned gap along US-24, I couldn't make out the mileage markers.  So I had to do a bunch of math to figure out what they probably were going to be.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

pderocco

Quote from: kphoger on September 25, 2025, 08:30:06 PM
Quote from: vdeane on September 25, 2025, 08:17:31 PMThe thing is, having recent coverage on even remote roads helps that too.  Street View is an important navigational tool - whenever I go somewhere unfamiliar, I use street view to check turns and potential TOTSOs so that I know where I'm going and can make sure that everything is well-signed (or at least has landmarks).  That's no possible if there's no street view or the street view is ancient.

I've reached a new level of roadgeekiness in travel planning.  I plot out all turns and intermediate towns, along with the mile marker for each, then an expected timetable for the whole dang trip.

On a trip last year that had us going from Goodland KS to Wray CO, which included a lot of old GSV imagery and also the aforementioned gap along US-24, I couldn't make out the mileage markers.  So I had to do a bunch of math to figure out what they probably were going to be.
We'll get you the best doctors.  :-D

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 25, 2025, 02:02:00 PMStreet view is still surprisingly fantastic for armchair road trips.

With all the futzing around you have to do due to getting tossed off of bridges or somehow getting stuck, it feels like it'd be faster to just actually drive there.

Or walk.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 26, 2025, 09:16:28 AMWith all the futzing around you have to do due to getting tossed off of bridges or somehow getting stuck, it feels like it'd be faster to just actually drive there.

Or walk.

Pro tip:  I don't think I've ever been dumped off a bridge in GSV while using the up-arrow on the keyboard instead of clicking with the mouse.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

I-55

Quote from: kphoger on September 26, 2025, 10:26:28 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 26, 2025, 09:16:28 AMWith all the futzing around you have to do due to getting tossed off of bridges or somehow getting stuck, it feels like it'd be faster to just actually drive there.

Or walk.

Pro tip:  I don't think I've ever been dumped off a bridge in GSV while using the up-arrow on the keyboard instead of clicking with the mouse.

Same thing with toll plazas. Sometimes it gives you the "box" instead of the forward arrow. Using the up-arrow will still drive you through
Purdue Civil Engineering '24
Quote from: I-55 on April 13, 2025, 09:39:41 PMThe correct question is "if ARDOT hasn't signed it, why does Google show it?" and the answer as usual is "because Google Maps signs stuff incorrectly all the time"

vdeane

Of course, this all had the downside that the arrow keys cause the imagery to move at a glacial pace.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: vdeane on September 26, 2025, 12:48:38 PMOf course, this all had the downside that the arrow keys cause the imagery to move at a glacial pace.
It is very slow but it suffices for going over short bridges.
My username has been outdated since August 2023 but I'm too lazy to change it

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on September 26, 2025, 10:26:28 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 26, 2025, 09:16:28 AMWith all the futzing around you have to do due to getting tossed off of bridges or somehow getting stuck, it feels like it'd be faster to just actually drive there.

Or walk.

Pro tip:  I don't think I've ever been dumped off a bridge in GSV while using the up-arrow on the keyboard instead of clicking with the mouse.

Yes, but the arrow key doesn't advance nearly as far as I'd like it to, and I feel like it might get "stuck" more often than clicking does.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Molandfreak

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 26, 2025, 08:22:36 PM
Quote from: kphoger on September 26, 2025, 10:26:28 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 26, 2025, 09:16:28 AMWith all the futzing around you have to do due to getting tossed off of bridges or somehow getting stuck, it feels like it'd be faster to just actually drive there.

Or walk.

Pro tip:  I don't think I've ever been dumped off a bridge in GSV while using the up-arrow on the keyboard instead of clicking with the mouse.

Yes, but the arrow key doesn't advance nearly as far as I'd like it to, and I feel like it might get "stuck" more often than clicking does.
I miss the old mobile version that would let you zip by on the straight line through multiple frames. Now you're stuck going frame... by... frame...

Inclusive infrastructure advocate

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of Morrison County, its cities and townships, or affiliated organizations.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 26, 2025, 08:22:36 PMYes, but the arrow key doesn't advance nearly as far as I'd like it to, and I feel like it might get "stuck" more often than clicking does.

Agreed.  I don't usually use it.  But it's handy for when you know you might get dumped off a bridge.  Then, once you're past the bridge, resume mouse clicking.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Is it true that Google Maps no longer stores timelines in the cloud, only locally on your device?
My username has been outdated since August 2023 but I'm too lazy to change it

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 03, 2025, 10:24:38 PMIs it true that Google Maps no longer stores timelines in the cloud, only locally on your device?

Of course.  Didn't you go through that whole nonsense they notified everyone about six times over?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on October 03, 2025, 11:26:22 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 03, 2025, 10:24:38 PMIs it true that Google Maps no longer stores timelines in the cloud, only locally on your device?

Of course.  Didn't you go through that whole nonsense they notified everyone about six times over?
I remember hearing about it a bunch of months back when I could no longer access my timeline on my computer. Not sure if they have any plans to fix this or change this.
My username has been outdated since August 2023 but I'm too lazy to change it

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 03, 2025, 11:59:03 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 03, 2025, 11:26:22 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 03, 2025, 10:24:38 PMIs it true that Google Maps no longer stores timelines in the cloud, only locally on your device?

Of course.  Didn't you go through that whole nonsense they notified everyone about six times over?
I remember hearing about it a bunch of months back when I could no longer access my timeline on my computer. Not sure if they have any plans to fix this or change this.

None whatsoever.  It was changed due to a European lawsuit over data privacy.  It's not coming back.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on October 04, 2025, 12:02:24 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 03, 2025, 11:59:03 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 03, 2025, 11:26:22 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 03, 2025, 10:24:38 PMIs it true that Google Maps no longer stores timelines in the cloud, only locally on your device?

Of course.  Didn't you go through that whole nonsense they notified everyone about six times over?
I remember hearing about it a bunch of months back when I could no longer access my timeline on my computer. Not sure if they have any plans to fix this or change this.

None whatsoever.  It was changed due to a European lawsuit over data privacy.  It's not coming back.
Man, those dang Europoors always ruining everything... /s/

Really, I wonder if this would be fixed by making the timeline opt-in only if you want it. Lots of people go their history deleted and are pissed about it. Wonder if Google is actually also trying to save server money.

My username has been outdated since August 2023 but I'm too lazy to change it

vdeane

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 04, 2025, 12:05:19 AMReally, I wonder if this would be fixed by making the timeline opt-in only if you want it. Lots of people go their history deleted and are pissed about it. Wonder if Google is actually also trying to save server money.
It wouldn't be the first time Google implemented something in the most user-unfriendly way possible because they didn't like a law.  Just look at YouTube's "for children" videos.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 04, 2025, 12:05:19 AM
Quote from: Rothman on October 04, 2025, 12:02:24 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 03, 2025, 11:59:03 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 03, 2025, 11:26:22 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 03, 2025, 10:24:38 PMIs it true that Google Maps no longer stores timelines in the cloud, only locally on your device?

Of course.  Didn't you go through that whole nonsense they notified everyone about six times over?
I remember hearing about it a bunch of months back when I could no longer access my timeline on my computer. Not sure if they have any plans to fix this or change this.

None whatsoever.  It was changed due to a European lawsuit over data privacy.  It's not coming back.
Man, those dang Europoors always ruining everything... /s/

Really, I wonder if this would be fixed by making the timeline opt-in only if you want it. Lots of people go their history deleted and are pissed about it. Wonder if Google is actually also trying to save server money.



This all happened over a year ago (June 2024 or so?).  Kind of strange to gripe about it now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

LilianaUwU

Speaking of privacy nuts, it's beyond time Google stops bending over to the paranoid pieces of shit that think it's a good idea to blur their house, ruining all the GMSV coverage. They should realize that people are more inclined to rob their ass if their house is blurred.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her, no matter what you think about that.

Profile picture by antcerka.bsky.social!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 04, 2025, 04:12:13 PMSpeaking of privacy nuts, it's beyond time Google stops bending over to the paranoid pieces of shit that think it's a good idea to blur their house, ruining all the GMSV coverage. They should realize that people are more inclined to rob their ass if their house is blurred.
I've never really thought that house blurring impacted anything, granted I don't scroll much on small residential streets.
My username has been outdated since August 2023 but I'm too lazy to change it

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 04, 2025, 05:45:41 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 04, 2025, 04:12:13 PMSpeaking of privacy nuts, it's beyond time Google stops bending over to the paranoid pieces of shit that think it's a good idea to blur their house, ruining all the GMSV coverage. They should realize that people are more inclined to rob their ass if their house is blurred.
I've never really thought that house blurring impacted anything, granted I don't scroll much on small residential streets.
It's not just small residential streets. Some major roads are impacted by this.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her, no matter what you think about that.

Profile picture by antcerka.bsky.social!

TheCatalyst31

Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 04, 2025, 04:12:13 PMSpeaking of privacy nuts, it's beyond time Google stops bending over to the paranoid pieces of shit that think it's a good idea to blur their house, ruining all the GMSV coverage. They should realize that people are more inclined to rob their ass if their house is blurred.
When Google first started adding Street View coverage in Germany, some tabloid there made a big stink about it and told people how to blur their houses. Google only got imagery in the major cities before pulling back because of the bad PR, but there were still so many blurred houses Geoguessr players called it "Blurmany" until Google started getting new imagery again.

cjw2001

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 04, 2025, 12:05:19 AM
Quote from: Rothman on October 04, 2025, 12:02:24 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 03, 2025, 11:59:03 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 03, 2025, 11:26:22 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 03, 2025, 10:24:38 PMIs it true that Google Maps no longer stores timelines in the cloud, only locally on your device?

Of course.  Didn't you go through that whole nonsense they notified everyone about six times over?
I remember hearing about it a bunch of months back when I could no longer access my timeline on my computer. Not sure if they have any plans to fix this or change this.

None whatsoever.  It was changed due to a European lawsuit over data privacy.  It's not coming back.
Man, those dang Europoors always ruining everything... /s/

Really, I wonder if this would be fixed by making the timeline opt-in only if you want it. Lots of people go their history deleted and are pissed about it. Wonder if Google is actually also trying to save server money.


Quote from: Rothman on October 04, 2025, 12:02:24 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 03, 2025, 11:59:03 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 03, 2025, 11:26:22 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 03, 2025, 10:24:38 PMIs it true that Google Maps no longer stores timelines in the cloud, only locally on your device?

Of course.  Didn't you go through that whole nonsense they notified everyone about six times over?
I remember hearing about it a bunch of months back when I could no longer access my timeline on my computer. Not sure if they have any plans to fix this or change this.

None whatsoever.  It was changed due to a European lawsuit over data privacy.  It's not coming back.
I believe this had more to do with the increasing number of police requests for user's travel history - by making the change to have the data exist only on the user's mobile it puts the data out of reach for those police requests.