News:

The server restarts at 2 AM daily. This results in a short period of downtime, so if you get a 502 error at that time, that is why.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darmstarm

Quote from: hbelkins on September 08, 2026, 04:25:13 PMThat's a Pennsylvania acorn and they're more common than you might think.

Interesting... never heard of that! Do you know of other examples, or where this is documented? Having a bit of trouble finding information online.


hotdogPi

Quote from: darmstarm on September 08, 2026, 04:50:58 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 08, 2026, 04:25:13 PMThat's a Pennsylvania acorn and they're more common than you might think.

Interesting... never heard of that! Do you know of other examples, or where this is documented? Having a bit of trouble finding information online.

alpsroads.net/roads/pa has them, although mixed in with everything else in the state.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 50
MA 35, 40, 53, 63, 79, 109, 126, 138, 141, 151
NH 78, 111A(E); CA 90; NY 40, 366; CT 193, 320; VT 2A, 5A; ME 11, 17, 172; PA 3, 51, 60; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; WA 202; QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 36

Declan127

Quote from: hotdogPi on September 08, 2026, 05:10:10 PM
Quote from: darmstarm on September 08, 2026, 04:50:58 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 08, 2026, 04:25:13 PMThat's a Pennsylvania acorn and they're more common than you might think.

Interesting... never heard of that! Do you know of other examples, or where this is documented? Having a bit of trouble finding information online.

alpsroads.net/roads/pa has them, although mixed in with everything else in the state.

Iirc there's a bunch on the US 6 page
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

kphoger

Of course, the MUTCD isn't exactly perfect when it comes to US Route shields, either.  Remember how hideous the examples were in previous editions?

https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/pdfs/millennium/12.18.00/2E.pdf

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CoreySamson

Well, screw it... here's some weird local signs near me in the Brazosport area...

This is a very weird pseudo-mileage sign/pull-through hybrid on TX 288 SB in Angleton, TX, with up arrows instead of distances and the inclusion of the local airport. It also does not mention that the airport is in 3 exits when it would probably behoove them to do so:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/gCzccNv7uKTmwzfv7


Like several signs in the area (ask me and I can give more examples), it seems to have been installed to replace an old sign without modernizing it or fixing its flaws... the old sign had the same issues, and the inclusion of the airport was tacked on. This also means the new sign is actually a unisign.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/39HjCq7xCCHsRYWFA

The sign also happens to have a cousin (based on the airport part of the original SB sign) going NB in the same general area that also happens to be fairly vague:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/iKywbQs5Pq6W8yXF9



Speaking of vague, here's a sign for the Lake Jackson city hall, stating that it is on the left in 3 blocks:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/7dfA4zziw2AnLLjC7


The problem is, if you look at the satellite image of Lake Jackson, using the word "block" to describe the city layout is awfully creative. Also, it seems like it should say 4 blocks instead of 3. The placement of the sign is also odd.


Lastly, the city of Clute cannot craft a good-looking school speed limit sign:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/L64Qos396MsyFQJs5


(this one is wretched)
https://maps.app.goo.gl/AqJPNn9RY7zcPA8D6
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of 45 FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn. Unabashed HAWK hater. ORU '26.

Route Log
Clinches
Counties
TM

Rothman

Arrow signs like those, including the city hall one, are pretty common.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

CoreySamson

#11206
Quote from: Rothman on September 08, 2026, 09:14:56 PMArrow signs like those, including the city hall one, are pretty common.
I would at least argue that the first two signs are at least odd (especially for Texas) for being on the mainline of a freeway rather than on a ramp. Perhaps you're right about the city hall one, but it is unique in the area.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of 45 FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn. Unabashed HAWK hater. ORU '26.

Route Log
Clinches
Counties
TM

epzik8

I was just going through my pictures from my June trip to Connecticut, which involved me going through NEPA, and according to this sign there were apparently no services in either direction at exit 131 along I-81 in Schuylkill County.

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.
____________________________

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Declan127

Quote from: epzik8 on September 09, 2026, 04:41:09 PMI was just going through my pictures from my June trip to Connecticut, which involved me going through NEPA, and according to this sign there were apparently no services in either direction at exit 131 along I-81 in Schuylkill County.



Huh. Never seen the top sign for an exit before, usually it's just a blank services sign
Also never seen a Clearview services sign
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

74/171FAN

Quote from: epzik8 on September 09, 2026, 04:41:09 PMI was just going through my pictures from my June trip to Connecticut, which involved me going through NEPA, and according to this sign there were apparently no services in either direction at exit 131 along I-81 in Schuylkill County.

I guess the Comfort Inn did not want to pay to be on the blue sign.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?units=miles&u=markkos1992
Mob-Rule:  https://mob-rule.com/user/markkos1992

epzik8

Quote from: Declan127 on September 09, 2026, 05:34:43 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on September 09, 2026, 04:41:09 PMI was just going through my pictures from my June trip to Connecticut, which involved me going through NEPA, and according to this sign there were apparently no services in either direction at exit 131 along I-81 in Schuylkill County.



Huh. Never seen the top sign for an exit before, usually it's just a blank services sign
Also never seen a Clearview services sign

Most of Virginia's Interstate service signs are in Clearview. In PA it's probably a rarity.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.
____________________________

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Declan127

I'm mainly not used to Clearview since I live in NYC and we only have a few Clearview signs (specifically here in Rockaway we have one pointing to the Marine Pkwy Bridge from Rockaway Pt Blvd and some of our Belt Pkwy shields ("Belt" is in Clearview, "Pkwy" is in I believe Helvetica but might be Arial)
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

Scott5114

Quote from: Declan127 on September 09, 2026, 07:34:51 PMI'm mainly not used to Clearview since I live in NYC and we only have a few Clearview signs (specifically here in Rockaway we have one pointing to the Marine Pkwy Bridge from Rockaway Pt Blvd and some of our Belt Pkwy shields ("Belt" is in Clearview, "Pkwy" is in I believe Helvetica but might be Arial)

NYCDOT was using it for street blades for a while. They've since stopped, though.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Declan127

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 08:26:33 PM
Quote from: Declan127 on September 09, 2026, 07:34:51 PMI'm mainly not used to Clearview since I live in NYC and we only have a few Clearview signs (specifically here in Rockaway we have one pointing to the Marine Pkwy Bridge from Rockaway Pt Blvd and some of our Belt Pkwy shields ("Belt" is in Clearview, "Pkwy" is in I believe Helvetica but might be Arial)

NYCDOT was using it for street blades for a while. They've since stopped, though.
They stopped? Haven't seen any new ones lately
Honestly I forgot about the street signs since we still have a small number of older ones around
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

Scott5114

Quote from: Declan127 on September 09, 2026, 08:55:10 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 08:26:33 PM
Quote from: Declan127 on September 09, 2026, 07:34:51 PMI'm mainly not used to Clearview since I live in NYC and we only have a few Clearview signs (specifically here in Rockaway we have one pointing to the Marine Pkwy Bridge from Rockaway Pt Blvd and some of our Belt Pkwy shields ("Belt" is in Clearview, "Pkwy" is in I believe Helvetica but might be Arial)

NYCDOT was using it for street blades for a while. They've since stopped, though.
They stopped? Haven't seen any new ones lately
Honestly I forgot about the street signs since we still have a small number of older ones around

Did it not go all caps FHWA→mixed case Clearview→mixed case FHWA? That was the impression that I got.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Declan127

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 08:58:45 PM
Quote from: Declan127 on September 09, 2026, 08:55:10 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 08:26:33 PM
Quote from: Declan127 on September 09, 2026, 07:34:51 PMI'm mainly not used to Clearview since I live in NYC and we only have a few Clearview signs (specifically here in Rockaway we have one pointing to the Marine Pkwy Bridge from Rockaway Pt Blvd and some of our Belt Pkwy shields ("Belt" is in Clearview, "Pkwy" is in I believe Helvetica but might be Arial)

NYCDOT was using it for street blades for a while. They've since stopped, though.
They stopped? Haven't seen any new ones lately
Honestly I forgot about the street signs since we still have a small number of older ones around

Did it not go all caps FHWA→mixed case Clearview→mixed case FHWA? That was the impression that I got.

I'm going to be honest, I can't tell the difference between Clearview and the thinner highway Gothic series sometimes, you're probably right

https://maps.app.goo.gl/xTuo2D6x9unWP7qs7

Also here's an interesting sign. I genuinely have no idea why anyone would care that Atlantic Avenue ends in 100 feet, unless the DNE signs weren't there when this sign was put up or if when the block ahead was made one way people kept going down anyway and they had to put that sign up

Still wouldn't really help anyone since it's welllll into the right turn bay and the remaining block is closer to the left.
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

Scott5114

Quote from: Declan127 on September 09, 2026, 09:16:34 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 08:58:45 PM
Quote from: Declan127 on September 09, 2026, 08:55:10 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 08:26:33 PM
Quote from: Declan127 on September 09, 2026, 07:34:51 PMI'm mainly not used to Clearview since I live in NYC and we only have a few Clearview signs (specifically here in Rockaway we have one pointing to the Marine Pkwy Bridge from Rockaway Pt Blvd and some of our Belt Pkwy shields ("Belt" is in Clearview, "Pkwy" is in I believe Helvetica but might be Arial)

NYCDOT was using it for street blades for a while. They've since stopped, though.
They stopped? Haven't seen any new ones lately
Honestly I forgot about the street signs since we still have a small number of older ones around

Did it not go all caps FHWA→mixed case Clearview→mixed case FHWA? That was the impression that I got.

I'm going to be honest, I can't tell the difference between Clearview and the thinner highway Gothic series sometimes, you're probably right

https://maps.app.goo.gl/xTuo2D6x9unWP7qs7

Also here's an interesting sign. I genuinely have no idea why anyone would care that Atlantic Avenue ends in 100 feet, unless the DNE signs weren't there when this sign was put up or if when the block ahead was made one way people kept going down anyway and they had to put that sign up

Still wouldn't really help anyone since it's welllll into the right turn bay and the remaining block is closer to the left.

Another interesting sign at that intersection, which is using the Switzerland road sign font for God knows what reason. https://maps.app.goo.gl/3UD2AbArroyRSRSEA
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Declan127

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 10:16:52 PM
Quote from: Declan127 on September 09, 2026, 09:16:34 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 08:58:45 PM
Quote from: Declan127 on September 09, 2026, 08:55:10 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 08:26:33 PM
Quote from: Declan127 on September 09, 2026, 07:34:51 PMI'm mainly not used to Clearview since I live in NYC and we only have a few Clearview signs (specifically here in Rockaway we have one pointing to the Marine Pkwy Bridge from Rockaway Pt Blvd and some of our Belt Pkwy shields ("Belt" is in Clearview, "Pkwy" is in I believe Helvetica but might be Arial)

NYCDOT was using it for street blades for a while. They've since stopped, though.
They stopped? Haven't seen any new ones lately
Honestly I forgot about the street signs since we still have a small number of older ones around

Did it not go all caps FHWA→mixed case Clearview→mixed case FHWA? That was the impression that I got.

I'm going to be honest, I can't tell the difference between Clearview and the thinner highway Gothic series sometimes, you're probably right

https://maps.app.goo.gl/xTuo2D6x9unWP7qs7

Also here's an interesting sign. I genuinely have no idea why anyone would care that Atlantic Avenue ends in 100 feet, unless the DNE signs weren't there when this sign was put up or if when the block ahead was made one way people kept going down anyway and they had to put that sign up

Still wouldn't really help anyone since it's welllll into the right turn bay and the remaining block is closer to the left.

Another interesting sign at that intersection, which is using the Switzerland road sign font for God knows what reason. https://maps.app.goo.gl/3UD2AbArroyRSRSEA
oh no thats just standard in Oceanside
Barely any of the towns in Nassau use Highway Gothic, and even the County itself doesn't
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

Scott5114

Quote from: Declan127 on September 09, 2026, 10:33:34 PMoh no thats just standard in Oceanside

All of the other signs on that street seem to be Highway Gothic...?  :hmmm:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Declan127

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 10:48:53 PM
Quote from: Declan127 on September 09, 2026, 10:33:34 PMoh no thats just standard in Oceanside

All of the other signs on that street seem to be Highway Gothic...?  :hmmm:

You know i knew that and happened to conveniently forget despite having been on Atlantic dozens of times  :-/

That being said that is pretty standard on Long Beach Rd in Oceanside, at the very least there's another one just like it at Daly Blvd on the other side of town. LBR is a County highway but I doubt that has anything to do with it
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

ObsidianTheFox

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 10:16:52 PM
Quote from: Declan127 on September 09, 2026, 09:16:34 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 08:58:45 PM
Quote from: Declan127 on September 09, 2026, 08:55:10 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 08:26:33 PM
Quote from: Declan127 on September 09, 2026, 07:34:51 PMI'm mainly not used to Clearview since I live in NYC and we only have a few Clearview signs (specifically here in Rockaway we have one pointing to the Marine Pkwy Bridge from Rockaway Pt Blvd and some of our Belt Pkwy shields ("Belt" is in Clearview, "Pkwy" is in I believe Helvetica but might be Arial)

NYCDOT was using it for street blades for a while. They've since stopped, though.
They stopped? Haven't seen any new ones lately
Honestly I forgot about the street signs since we still have a small number of older ones around

Did it not go all caps FHWA→mixed case Clearview→mixed case FHWA? That was the impression that I got.

I'm going to be honest, I can't tell the difference between Clearview and the thinner highway Gothic series sometimes, you're probably right

https://maps.app.goo.gl/xTuo2D6x9unWP7qs7

Also here's an interesting sign. I genuinely have no idea why anyone would care that Atlantic Avenue ends in 100 feet, unless the DNE signs weren't there when this sign was put up or if when the block ahead was made one way people kept going down anyway and they had to put that sign up

Still wouldn't really help anyone since it's welllll into the right turn bay and the remaining block is closer to the left.

Another interesting sign at that intersection, which is using the Switzerland road sign font for God knows what reason. https://maps.app.goo.gl/3UD2AbArroyRSRSEA

I was expecting that to be DIN 1451 (which IMO would be a better font for US signs than either of the ones we use now - Mittelschrift specifically), but got jumpscared by it being Helvetiway Gothic instead. (And the font that Switzerland uses now just looks like discount Clearview.)

Scott5114

Quote from: ObsidianTheFox on September 12, 2026, 07:48:10 PMI was expecting that to be DIN 1451 (which IMO would be a better font for US signs than either of the ones we use now - Mittelschrift specifically), but got jumpscared by it being Helvetiway Gothic instead. (And the font that Switzerland uses now just looks like discount Clearview.)

The Swiss font is called SNV. Somehow, it's been up popping up randomly across the US for no reason I can discern, especially in Arkansas, Texas, and Oklahoma. I need to put together a thread listing instances of that because I'm baffled as to why it keeps happening.

(Speaking of nice European fonts, check out Norway's.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CoreySamson

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 12, 2026, 07:54:48 PM
Quote from: ObsidianTheFox on September 12, 2026, 07:48:10 PMI was expecting that to be DIN 1451 (which IMO would be a better font for US signs than either of the ones we use now - Mittelschrift specifically), but got jumpscared by it being Helvetiway Gothic instead. (And the font that Switzerland uses now just looks like discount Clearview.)

The Swiss font is called SNV. Somehow, it's been up popping up randomly across the US for no reason I can discern, especially in Arkansas, Texas, and Oklahoma. I need to put together a thread listing instances of that because I'm baffled as to why it keeps happening.

(Speaking of nice European fonts, check out Norway's.)
Interesting... what are these examples of SNV? I feel like I might have seen it before but am not sure where.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of 45 FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn. Unabashed HAWK hater. ORU '26.

Route Log
Clinches
Counties
TM

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?units=miles&u=markkos1992
Mob-Rule:  https://mob-rule.com/user/markkos1992