News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Does anyone here own a monkey suit?

Started by roadman65, July 23, 2014, 11:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 23, 2014, 12:06:54 PM
I've heard that you can buy used ones fairly cheap.  I don't know the best place to do that, but that's one option that won't cost you hundreds of dollars.

To answer the OP, yes, I do.

You can also buy a new one fairly inexpensively (~$100 to ~$200 or so).  JCPenney has them, and they look pretty good.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

PHLBOS

Quote from: Brandon on July 24, 2014, 10:34:58 AMYou can also buy a new one fairly inexpensively (~$100 to ~$200 or so).  JCPenney has them, and they look pretty good.
Are the above-listed prices for tuxedos or just suits (there is a difference)?  The OP's monkey suit reference in the thread title was referring to tuxedos.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Brandon

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 24, 2014, 11:07:03 AM
Quote from: Brandon on July 24, 2014, 10:34:58 AMYou can also buy a new one fairly inexpensively (~$100 to ~$200 or so).  JCPenney has them, and they look pretty good.
Are the above-listed prices for tuxedos or just suits (there is a difference)?  The OP's monkey suit reference in the thread title was referring to tuxedos.

That was for a tux.  Coat, pants, tie, cummerbund, shirt, and studs.  I think I paid less than $200.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

realjd

Quote from: english si on July 24, 2014, 10:27:13 AM
Way to miss my point, which was that if you are going to impose a formal dress code, even if it is the wrong one, do it properly.

I have no problem with semi-formal weddings, or with nudist weddings, or with hawaiian shirt weddings. It's the pretend attempts at black tie weddings without actually following black tie.

Just think of it as a quirky cultural difference - similar to how they can wear shorts with suits in Bermuda and it's perfectly acceptable. Keep in mind to that outside of state dinners at the White House, we don't do white tie dress. If an invitation says formal wear, it means a tux (although a dark suit is often acceptable). Semi-formal or business formal on an invitation means suits. Our rules are just different than yours.

kkt

Quote from: realjd on July 24, 2014, 01:09:26 PM
Quote from: english si on July 24, 2014, 10:27:13 AM
Way to miss my point, which was that if you are going to impose a formal dress code, even if it is the wrong one, do it properly.

I have no problem with semi-formal weddings, or with nudist weddings, or with hawaiian shirt weddings. It's the pretend attempts at black tie weddings without actually following black tie.
Just think of it as a quirky cultural difference - similar to how they can wear shorts with suits in Bermuda and it's perfectly acceptable. Keep in mind to that outside of state dinners at the White House, we don't do white tie dress. If an invitation says formal wear, it means a tux (although a dark suit is often acceptable). Semi-formal or business formal on an invitation means suits. Our rules are just different than yours.

No place in the U.S. at all uses white tie?  Not even a New York high society evening wedding -- a Vanderbilt, Rockefeller, or Kennedy getting married in the evening at a grand hotel wouldn't specify white tie?  (Okay, June is traditional for weddings, and so there wouldn't be white tie then because of being summer, but in case one was in winter or spring.)  No charity balls?  Not at first night of the opera season?

"Formal" can mean different things for different people.  It could mean suits for a crowd that's usually more casual.  That's why invitations usually say "black tie" if they want people to wear tuxedos or "dark suits" if they want people to wear that.

Scott5114

On a practical level, how are you going to enforce the dress code at a wedding? I couldn't stomach the thought of one of our friends or family being turned away from my wedding simply because they didn't meet some arbitrary rule of dress, and if you can't enforce a dress code you may as well not have one.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kkt

For a wedding with family and friends, you wouldn't turn people away.  The dress code is enforced by guests wishing to feel comfortable by dressing as others are, and honoring the wishes of their hosts.

At a state dinner, I think the Secret Service can still turn away guests who are not dressed appropriately.

vdeane

When I first read the thread title, I thought it was referring to halloween costumes and had thoughts along the lines of "WTF!?".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Duke87

No wedding I have ever been to has been so precise as to spell out what color clothing I should wear. Granted, I have only been to four weddings thus far in my life, but still - I have not heard of such a thing.

I only own one formal jacket and it is black. It has been nearly a year since I last wore it, and I do not wear it except for really special occasions. Hell, I rarely even wear a tie. Not my thing.

As for Tuxedos, no, I do not own one, and no, I have never worn one. I have, however, been to the town of Tuxedo, NY. So I can claim I've been in a Tuxedo if I leave it vague what I mean by that. :P

Also...

Quote from: vdeane on July 23, 2014, 07:12:47 PM
But when you get your tuxedo, make sure you become a superhero and attack with roses.

+1
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

I've been in a few weddings (all of those marriages ended in divorce, so I guess I wasn't a good-luck charm) and thus had to wear a tux in them. Can't say I was fond of having to do so. I hate to put on a tie. To me, "dressing up" is wearing khakis and having to tuck the shirt tail in on my logo polo shirts that I wear to work. I tend to dress for comfort instead of style.

My high school did not have a prom when I was a student, and even if it had, I probably would not have gone. They revived the prom about eight years after I graduated and tuxes are the dress of choice for males who attend.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: vdeane on July 24, 2014, 07:34:16 PM
When I first read the thread title, I thought it was referring to halloween costumes and had thoughts along the lines of "WTF!?".

If I owned an actual monkey suit (gorilla, whatever), I would wear it as much as possible.  I'd ride the bus in the damn thing. 

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on July 24, 2014, 09:21:17 PM
I've been in a few weddings (all of those marriages ended in divorce, so I guess I wasn't a good-luck charm)

I take it you'll forgive me if I don't invite you to mine when it happens? :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 25, 2014, 03:44:05 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 24, 2014, 09:21:17 PM
I've been in a few weddings (all of those marriages ended in divorce, so I guess I wasn't a good-luck charm)

I take it you'll forgive me if I don't invite you to mine when it happens? :P

You can invite me, just don't ask me to be a groomsman.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.