News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

America's oldest watering holes

Started by cjk374, September 28, 2014, 09:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Duke87

I would not have guessed that a bunch of states still have an operating bar from the 18th century and that a couple from the 17th century even still exist. But then, I wonder how many of these places are actually in the original building. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't count if it's not in the original building, you can only count the place as being as old as the current standing structure.

The list explicitly states that one of these establishments occupies a building nearly 40 years younger than the establishment itself (because the original burned down), so clearly the people who compiled it aren't following this rule.

As to the question posed, no, I have not been to any of these places. As interesting as they seem, I have this habit of not combining alcohol consumption and road trips, for obvious reasons. :P
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

6a

Quote from: Duke87 on September 28, 2014, 10:16:57 PM
The list explicitly states that one of these establishments occupies a building nearly 40 years younger than the establishment itself (because the original burned down), so clearly the people who compiled it aren't following this rule.

And the entry for Ohio is off by at least a decade (Jury Room, 1831.)

english si

Nothing survived (save one bar) from the 17th century? that's a shock. Everyone loved an inn in those days, and its not like there weren't roads and such like that would require such places, nor people to visit them or materials to build them.

When I turned 18 ten years ago, my town of less than 20k population had as many pubs from before 1776 than your whole country does now (9) - though it only has about 9 pubs in total now (the others have turned into restaurants or been demolished for housing).

Duke87

Quote from: english si on September 29, 2014, 01:49:48 PM
Nothing survived (save one bar) from the 17th century? that's a shock. Everyone loved an inn in those days, and its not like there weren't roads and such like that would require such places, nor people to visit them or materials to build them.

When I turned 18 ten years ago, my town of less than 20k population had as many pubs from before 1776 than your whole country does now (9) - though it only has about 9 pubs in total now (the others have turned into restaurants or been demolished for housing).

Not a shock at all. Your armies burned a lot of our pre-1776 structures down in the Revolutionary war. :P If you find a town with pre-revolutionary structures remaining there is a good chance it was a loyalist town. Otherwise the British army would have burned it when they arrived.

Likewise, a lot of southern towns lack structures that were built before 1865, because the union army torched them in the civil war.

Meanwhile, in 1776 for the most part only the east coast had been settled by Europeans. So in most of the country everything is newer than that by default because those towns had not been founded yet.

Also, the number of pre-1776 establishments surviving may be greater than 9, this list only lists the oldest one in each state. So if any state has multiple pre-revolutionary bars, the total is greater.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

mgk920

I don't know where they found this place that opened in the mid-1890s in Milwaukee as being the 'oldest' in WI - there is a place just a couple of blocks from me here in Appleton (Fox River House) that is at least 20 years older.  It has undergone several ownership and name changes over the years, but it is still in its original building and aside from the Prohibition years, has pretty much operated continually since first opening as the Fox River House in 1870.  It is very popular with today's local hipster crowd.

There are a few other watering holes in central Appleton that also date back to the late 19th century.

Mike

Pete from Boston

You will always be older and more experienced than us.  We will always be younger and prettier. 

Zeffy

There used to be the old French Arms Tavern in Trenton, where the Congress of the Confederation would meet up back in 1784. (So, for a brief period of time, Trenton was the capital of the United States) The building itself I believe was built in 1730. Unfortunately, you're not going to find that building in the city today, because it's been replaced with a Wells Fargo branch. Oh well.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Laura

Quote from: Zeffy on September 29, 2014, 11:08:51 PM
There used to be the old French Arms Tavern in Trenton, where the Congress of the Confederation would meet up back in 1784. (So, for a brief period of time, Trenton was the capital of the United States) The building itself I believe was built in 1730. Unfortunately, you're not going to find that building in the city today, because it's been replaced with a Wells Fargo branch. Oh well.

That reminds me of the 200 year old inn in Hunt Valley, MD that was replaced by a BB&T bank about 10-15 years ago. There was a high fine for tearing down the building; the bank saw it as a "cost of business" and paid for it. :angry:

iPhone

Laura

1995hoo

Quote from: Duke87 on September 29, 2014, 08:43:38 PM

Not a shock at all. Your armies burned a lot of our pre-1776 structures down in the Revolutionary war. :P If you find a town with pre-revolutionary structures remaining there is a good chance it was a loyalist town. Otherwise the British army would have burned it when they arrived.

Likewise, a lot of southern towns lack structures that were built before 1865, because the union army torched them in the civil war.

Meanwhile, in 1776 for the most part only the east coast had been settled by Europeans. So in most of the country everything is newer than that by default because those towns had not been founded yet.

Also, the number of pre-1776 establishments surviving may be greater than 9, this list only lists the oldest one in each state. So if any state has multiple pre-revolutionary bars, the total is greater.

Also, don't forget this small matter of the Eighteenth Amendment (Prohibition), which didn't help the fortunes of many drinking places.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.