What VMS manufacturers does your state use?

Started by Pink Jazz, March 09, 2015, 07:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

I would like to know, what manufacturers of VMS does your state use?

Here in Arizona, the older installations (and still the most common) are fiber-optic signs made by Sylvia.  When ADOT switched to LED, Daktronics became the vendor.  ADOT's current vendor is Skyline Products, and all the new installations are now full matrix instead of fixed character.  And according to Skyline's website, ADOT has ordered some full color VMS with their latest contract (although I have yet to see one in person).

PurdueBill

From what I've seen around, ODOT (Ohio) VMSs seem to be Daktronics, not full-color and stuff but functional enough for the purpose.

6a

Quote from: PurdueBill on March 09, 2015, 08:57:21 PM
From what I've seen around, ODOT (Ohio) VMSs seem to be Daktronics, not full-color and stuff but functional enough for the purpose.

Yeah, Columbus is all Daktronics from what I can tell. There used to be another older type here but I did not live here at the time and never got a picture of it. I never noticed the manufacturer - the last one I remember seeing was I-71 S near Crew Stadium and if it wasn't flipped discs it had some kind of light behind it.

Pink Jazz

Also, I know this isn't my state anymore, however, New Mexico was a late entrant into the VMS market.  All older permanent installations installed in the late 1990s and early 2000s were roadside models made by ADDCO.  New Mexico didn't install overhead VMS until the mid 2000s, and are a mix of models from Skyline Products and Adaptive Displays, all full matrix (the Skyline models have their logo on the lower left corner, while the Adaptive models do not have any external logos on them).

Quote from: 6a on March 09, 2015, 09:34:53 PM

Yeah, Columbus is all Daktronics from what I can tell. There used to be another older type here but I did not live here at the time and never got a picture of it. I never noticed the manufacturer - the last one I remember seeing was I-71 S near Crew Stadium and if it wasn't flipped discs it had some kind of light behind it.

It was probably fiber-optic.  Also, another type that is less common today is bulb matrix, which uses a matrix of incandescent bulbs.

Also, there are also flip-dot/LED combo signs, which use either amber or green (traditional yellow-green, not traffic signal pure green) LEDs behind the discs, where during the daytime the signs appear as flip-dot signs while at night the dots are illuminated by the LEDs.

AsphaltPlanet

I have a related question. In how many states are the DOT's installing full colour variable message signs?
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

jeffandnicole

NJ uses Daktronics, although they tend to get a more narrow version compared to most states.  NJTA uses Daktronics full-color models.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on March 09, 2015, 09:45:00 PM
I have a related question. In how many states are the DOT's installing full colour variable message signs?

I know CDOT in Colorado has installed a huge full color Skyline Products VMS in the eastbound direction approaching the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70.  It is typically used to display speed limits.  It's pretty obvious why CDOT would buy their VMS from Skyline, since Skyline is based in Colorado Springs and CDOT prefers to support in-state businesses.

jeffandnicole

The PA Turnpike uses full-color Daktronics, mostly in the middle of the mainline turnpike. This past fall they used them to show a photo of the cop killer who eventually was caught.

myosh_tino

Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

NJRoadfan

SignGeek101

Ontario seems to have an agreement with IBI Group when it comes to VMSes according to several documents regarding VMSes and the new ones being made:

http://www.itscanada.ca/files/5%20Lovicsek_Presentation_Bilingual%20Pictogram%20Messages%20on%20Ontario%20VMS_30apr2013.pdf

Pink Jazz

Quote from: NJRoadfan on March 09, 2015, 11:11:16 PM
Daktronics has a nice gallery of their sign installs on their site: http://www.daktronics.com/en-us/products/its-dynamic-message-signs

I think Daktronics has the largest market share of all manufacturers.

Now it would be interesting to know what manufacturers VDOT uses.  The VMS used in Virginia seem to be very different from district to district (example: fixed row matrix in Hampton Roads vs. full matrix in Richmond).  I think Northern Virginia uses Daktronics (the one-row VMS used on the I-66 HOV lanes I know are Daktronics).  Skyline Products' website also lists VDOT as a customer.

roadfro

I'm fairly sure Nevada DOT currently installs single color LED, full-matrix Daktronics VMSs.  The original displays were fixed-line, possibly incandescent, VMSs...not sure who the manufacturer was, and there's not too many of these left.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

slorydn1

Daktronics here, too. I wish their user interface was a little easier to use when trying to create uncanned messages on the fly.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

roadman

For both permanent and portable CMS boards, Massachusetts has traditionally been an ADDCO state, as reflected in the permanent installations on the recent I-95 Georgetown to Salisbury and I-95 Lexington projects.  However, permanent Daktronics boards were installed on the Big Dig and the I-91 ATMS project, and are being provided on the new I-93 Boston to Randolph installations as well.  Also, permanent Skyline boards were provided on the I-93 Somerville to WIlmington and I-93 WIlmington to Methuen installations.

The original mid-1990s overhead CMS installations in Massachusetts were a combination of the FiberOptic Display Systems "Sylvia" boards and the Mark IV (Canada) boards.  There is a project under design to replace these original boards with newer LED signs, minus the walk-in cabinets.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pink Jazz

Quote from: roadfro on March 10, 2015, 12:13:14 AM
I'm fairly sure Nevada DOT currently installs single color LED, full-matrix Daktronics VMSs.  The original displays were fixed-line, possibly incandescent, VMSs...not sure who the manufacturer was, and there's not too many of these left.

Skyline's website also lists NDOT as a customer.  Perhaps NDOT has switched between vendors from time to time and has used Skyline in the past before switching to Daktronics.  This page on Skyline's website has a list of their customers:
http://www.skylineproducts.com/traffic-information-signs/its-projects/

jeffandnicole

roadman

Quote from: Pink Jazz on March 10, 2015, 11:15:32 AM
Perhaps NDOT has switched between vendors from time to time and has used Skyline in the past before switching to Daktronics.

Or it could be that NDOT provides a general specification that multiple CMS manufacturers can meet, and leaves the actual vendor selection up to the project contractor.  That's how it works in Massachusetts and most other states, especially if Federal-Aid monies are involved in the procurement.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pink Jazz

Quote from: roadman on March 10, 2015, 12:49:22 PM

Or it could be that NDOT provides a general specification that multiple CMS manufacturers can meet, and leaves the actual vendor selection up to the project contractor.  That's how it works in Massachusetts and most other states, especially if Federal-Aid monies are involved in the procurement.

I presume the same is true in New Mexico, as New Mexico installs VMS boards by both Skyline and Adaptive.

Also, I know until early 2014 ADOT actually had a contract with both Skyline and Daktronics, but apparently the contract with Daktronics was not renewed and ADOT expanded their relationship with Skyline.

roadfro

Quote from: Pink Jazz on March 10, 2015, 11:15:32 AM
Quote from: roadfro on March 10, 2015, 12:13:14 AM

Skyline's website also lists NDOT as a customer.  Perhaps NDOT has switched between vendors from time to time and has used Skyline in the past before switching to Daktronics.  This page on Skyline's website has a list of their customers:
http://www.skylineproducts.com/traffic-information-signs/its-projects/

Actually, now that I think about it... Daktronics might have been a prior VMS vendor and Skyline the current vendor. The Skyline logo looks more recent to me.

NDOT seems to be removing/covering the vendor logos on the VMSs, so it's not easy to verify.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

In Washington State:

- New model ATM VMSs and accompanying standard VMSs are made by Telegra
- Old model ATM VMSs (along Snoqualmie Pass) are made by Daktronics
- New model VMSs made by Skyline Products
- Old model VMSs made by Sylvia

Notes:

- I am not aware of any fixed character VMSs (though I'm sure there are some for the I-5 express lanes that I don't know of).
- The ATM VMSs (made by Telegra) are full color.

roadman

Quote from: roadfro on March 12, 2015, 11:00:45 PM
NDOT seems to be removing/covering the vendor logos on the VMSs, so it's not easy to verify.
The recently installed CMS boards on I-93 in New Hampshire originally had logos for both the vendor (Daktronics) and the installer (Liddell Brothers).  When I drove up I-93 a couple of weeks ago, I noticed the Liddell logos had been removed from the signs.  Perhaps CMS manufacturer logos should be classified as "lettering too small to read at highway speeds."

cjk374

I guess LA DOTD uses Daktronics signs also.  That's the name on the bottom of the new VMS installed at MP 111 on I-20 EB at the edge of West Monroe.  I haven't noticed what was used in Shreveport/Bossier City.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Pink Jazz

Sorry to bump, but ADOT has exercised an extension option with its contract with Skyline through July 2017.  There is one more extension option remaining through October 2017.

Once ADOT's contract with Skyline expires next year, I wonder who will bid this time.  In the last RFP, in addition to Skyline, ADOT also received bids from Daktronics and Digital Traffic Systems, Inc. (the latter which would have provided and maintained signs made by Adaptive Displays).  Daktronics' bid was more than double the price of Skyline, and DTS' bid was deemed non-responsive.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.