News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Jackie Robinson Pkwy safety improvements

Started by route17fan, August 22, 2014, 10:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

route17fan

D262685 are plans for safety improvements along the Jackie Robinson Pkwy - I suppose this means bye-bye to the button copy here too.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D262685
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: route17fan on August 22, 2014, 10:52:23 AM
D262685 are plans for safety improvements along the Jackie Robinson Pkwy - I suppose this means bye-bye to the button copy here too.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D262685

Wasn't the button copy there reflective?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

route17fan

The last I was there, granted 2009, there was some between exits 8-6. And you're right, the rest was reflective.

cl94

Yeah, a decent amount of the button copy in Regions 10 and 11 is reflective. Lots of signs and a relatively small amount have been replaced. That being said, the Jackie Robinson needs the work. The current state is nothing short of a death trap. Why the heck Moses routed it there is something I cannot determine.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

route17fan

cl94

Quote from: route17fan on August 23, 2014, 10:48:18 AM
Agreed.

Specifically, I was thinking of this assembly from GSV:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.712482,-73.83455,3a,75y,42.04h,91.75t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1saf6BvwKeA1Q2N2MePq2Qfw!2e0

It's double sided :)

Always loved that one. Didn't love that the lanes were narrower than an SUV or pickup truck eligible for non-commercial plates.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Zeffy

Agreed.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.712482,-73.83455,3a,75y,42.04h,91.75t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1saf6BvwKeA1Q2N2MePq2Qfw!2e0

Two things:

1. What is the definition of a New York Parkway? I always thought parkways were scenic filled with trees and whatnot. Of course, that can be because the Garden State Parkway is pretty much just what I described.

2. Why is there a highway running THROUGH an arterial with jersey barriers? Those lanes look incredibly small - and it's amazing that it occupies the middle of another road. Is that a one-time thing, or is that common within NYC?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

cl94

Quote from: Zeffy on August 23, 2014, 11:03:22 AM
Agreed.

Two things:

1. What is the definition of a New York Parkway? I always thought parkways were scenic filled with trees and whatnot. Of course, that can be because the Garden State Parkway is pretty much just what I described.

2. Why is there a highway running THROUGH an arterial with jersey barriers? Those lanes look incredibly small - and it's amazing that it occupies the middle of another road. Is that a one-time thing, or is that common within NYC?

I'll answer each question individually:

1. A New York parkway is an early expressway designed by Robert Moses that only accommodates passenger cars. As most were built before WWII, modern design standards did not exist. Most were designed to get people out of the City and to scenic areas in Westchester or on the Island. Supposedly, RM designed the overpasses extremely low so poor people couldn't take the bus to the beach, most of which were built with their only access via parkways. Outside of NYC, parkways tend to be scenic, with stone overpasses and trees blocking all development from the road. The Jackie Robinson does run through a park, but this was not feasible in the eastern half.

2. This is NOT the norm. Typically, the expressway is depressed beneath the arterial, in rare occasions elevated. The Grans Central Parkway, for example, has service roads cantilevered over the parkway. For the JRP, this was not feasible. Both the LIRR and NYC Subway run immediately beneath the roadbed at or near Queens Boulevard, preventing use of a cut. Forest Hills and Kew Gardens, both wealthy neighborhoods, fought long and hard against it, so Moses was unable to push a better road through there. Additionally, it has a design speed of 35 mph, common among the early parkways, as it was meant for leisurely drives to and from parks. As we all know, that didn't last long.

SidS1045

Let's not forget another aspect of the answer to item 1:  Robert Moses never obtained a driver's license.  He was chauffeured everywhere and never looked out the windows of his limos, preferring to spend his time working instead.  Thus, he never realized that his roads had become commuting routes and were often clogged with traffic, even during off-peak hours.

Robert Caro, the author of the Moses bio The Power Broker, recalled arriving late for one of his few interviews with Moses.  He told Moses he was delayed by a traffic backup on one of the arterials Moses had built.  RM's answer to that was: "Impossible!"
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

D-Dey65

One other thing; When the Jackie Robinson/Interborough Parkway was originally built, it was proposed to run south of Jamaica Avenue towards the Belt Parkway. Another road that was unfinished and rendered dysfunctional.

NE2

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 12, 2014, 01:33:48 AM
One other thing; When the Jackie Robinson/Interborough Parkway was originally built, it was proposed to run south of Jamaica Avenue towards the Belt Parkway. Another road that was unfinished and rendered dysfunctional.
Right. If it had been extended, the sharp curves and narrow right-of-way would have been magically fixed.

As for "a highway running THROUGH an arterial", see the Bruckner east of the Sheridan.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 12, 2014, 01:33:48 AM

The plans I saw always ended it at the Bushwick Expressway.

D-Dey65

Quote from: NE2 on October 12, 2014, 03:08:42 AM
Right. If it had been extended, the sharp curves and narrow right-of-way would have been magically fixed.
No, it would've just gotten rid of that dead end at Jamaica Avenue.

Quote from: Alps on October 12, 2014, 11:32:26 PM
That's funny. The Interborough and Belt Parkways were built before the expressways. I can't imagine a pre-WW2 era parkway terminating at a more modern, not yet conceived expressway.

Alps

Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 26, 2014, 01:05:03 AM

That's funny. The Interborough and Belt Parkways were built before the expressways. I can't imagine a pre-WW2 era parkway terminating at a more modern, not yet conceived expressway.
It just so happened that the Bushwick would have run right by the current terminus. Imagine that. Now show some evidence of your extension claim? NYCRoads says that such an extension was considered in 1963, decades after the road was built AND decades after consideration of the Cross-Brooklyn Expressway terminus.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Alps on November 26, 2014, 05:39:42 AM

It just so happened that the Bushwick would have run right by the current terminus. Imagine that. Now show some evidence of your extension claim? NYCRoads says that such an extension was considered in 1963, decades after the road was built AND decades after consideration of the Cross-Brooklyn Expressway terminus.
Woah! Chill out, Steve! I'm not calling you a liar here. I'm just saying extending it to the Belt Parkway seemed like the more likely scenario at the time.

BTW, speaking of Steve Anderson's site, did anybody else have trouble going to any of his pages a few days ago? Because I did.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 26, 2014, 01:33:08 PM
Quote from: Alps on November 26, 2014, 05:39:42 AM

Woah! Chill out, Steve! I'm not calling you a liar here. I'm just saying extending it to the Belt Parkway seemed like the more likely scenario at the time.

Stop. Steve called you out on wanting some evidence (physical evidence).  Not that you called him a liar.

By the lack of response, just like on Wikipedia, you are missing evidence you don't have.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

D-Dey65

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on November 26, 2014, 01:43:16 PM
Stop. Steve called you out on wanting some evidence (physical evidence).  Not that you called him a liar.

By the lack of response, just like on Wikipedia, you are missing evidence you don't have.
I'm basing this on what I've seen on maps of Brooklyn. That and the abrupt no-bridge interchange with Jamaica Avenue, as well as the usual road construction trends at the time. In the meantime, let me quote one other line from Steve's website (bold words mine):

Quote"In 1963, Moses proposed a 3.4-mile-long southern extension of the Interborough Parkway through southeast Brooklyn. The $30 million extension, which was to be routed through the East New York, New Lots and Starrett City communities, was scheduled for completion in 1976."

I'm sure you already know Starrett City can be found along the Belt Parkway.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 26, 2014, 01:33:08 PM
BTW, speaking of Steve Anderson's site, did anybody else have trouble going to any of his pages a few days ago? Because I did.
The site was being moved to a new server.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 24, 2016, 09:23:03 PM
Hey, people; Dig this map:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:30_years_of_progress,_1934-1964_-_Department_of_Parks_-_300th_anniversary_of_the_City_of_New_York_-_New_York_World%27s_Fair._(1964)_(16478136350).jpg

I just emitted a string of words that can't be repeated on this forum. Damn. I wonder if the spur off the Deegan at I-95 is just representing the Highbridge interchange, or if there was really envisioned some sort of bypass for that whole cluster.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.