News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Numbered highways in remote places

Started by RoadMaster, December 11, 2009, 04:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadMaster

This is a very interesting topic, and I'm sure you will say the same thing.

This is about numbered highways being in an area inaccessible by connecting roads (state routes on islands, e.g.), even if a ferry connects them.

I know there's a lot in Canada, but I think there's a few in the U.S., too. (Please do not bring up Hawaii in this.)

SSOWorld

Well not exactly 'numbered' but Door County W in Wisconsin is on Washington Island - connected by Ferry only
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Hellfighter

The one that comes to my mind is Ontario Secondary Highway 599.

TheStranger

The one that I think of first is Michigan's M-185, on Mackinac Island (with no direct road access to the mainland).
Chris Sampang

Hellfighter

oscar

Quote from: Hellfighter link=topic=2098.msg45703#msg45703
Oh, I see. How about AK-7?

That's a nifty triple play.  Four disconnected fragments, three of which (Juneau, Petersburg, Ketchikan) connect to other highways only by auto ferry.

The Cordova segment of AK 10 is similar, though while the route number is official enough (appearing on state highway maps), unlike the rest of AK 10 there are no route shields.

I know Hawaii's off-limits because the whole state is isolated, but even within Hawaii you have some really isolated numbered routes:  Lanai's HI 440 (only one state highway on the island, no auto ferry link to other islands), and Kahoolawe's K-1 and K-2 (not only no auto ferry connection, but visitation to the entire island is heavily restricted).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

froggie

Lake of the Woods CSAH 49...in Minnesota's Northwest Angle.  One of only two places I'm aware of in the Lower 48 where you have to drive through a different country (Canada in both cases) to access the location.  And the other one, AFAIK, doesn't involve a route number.

A similar case exists with Campobello Island, NB, where NB 774 is "land accessible" only by going through Maine...though this one has ferry access to the rest of New Brunswick.

mgk920

Quote from: Master son on December 11, 2009, 04:27:24 PM
Well not exactly 'numbered' but Door County W in Wisconsin is on Washington Island - connected by Ferry only
Also in Wisconsin, Ashland County 'M' (it's on Madeline Island) is only accessible via a ferry or winter ice road.

Mike

Brandon

Quote from: TheStranger on December 11, 2009, 04:44:37 PM
The one that I think of first is Michigan's M-185, on Mackinac Island (with no direct road access to the mainland).

That one works, as does part of M-134 on Drummond Island.
There's M-154 in the Lake St. Clair delta region, near Sans Souci.

Mike, County H is also on Madeline Island according to the Wisconsin state map.

One would think with all the river changes over the years on the Mississippi and Ohio that Illinois night have a few, but Illinois has none like this.  Kaskaskia, the first state capitol, is connected to Missouri by local roads.  Not a single state nor county route accesses it in Illinois.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

Quote from: oscar on December 11, 2009, 05:10:54 PM
I know Hawaii's off-limits because the whole state is isolated, but even within Hawaii you have some really isolated numbered routes:  Lanai's HI 440 (only one state highway on the island, no auto ferry link to other islands), and Kahoolawe's K-1 and K-2 (not only no auto ferry connection, but visitation to the entire island is heavily restricted).
Are K-1 and K-2 signed?  I looked at the island and only saw one road that could reasonably be called a through road (the island's ring road).

deathtopumpkins

NC State Route 615 on Knotts Island is only accessible VIA a ferry to the NC mainland or across the Virginia border on Princess Anne Rd (fmr VA-615)
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

J N Winkler

I would like to ask a subsidary question.  Are there any examples of state highways, not necessarily on islands or in areas isolated by bodies of water, which do not intersect or otherwise connect directly with other roads on the state highway system?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

oscar

Quote from: AlpsROADS on December 12, 2009, 11:40:28 AM
Quote from: oscar on December 11, 2009, 05:10:54 PM
I know Hawaii's off-limits because the whole state is isolated, but even within Hawaii you have some really isolated numbered routes:  Lanai's HI 440 (only one state highway on the island, no auto ferry link to other islands), and Kahoolawe's K-1 and K-2 (not only no auto ferry connection, but visitation to the entire island is heavily restricted).
Are K-1 and K-2 signed?  I looked at the island and only saw one road that could reasonably be called a through road (the island's ring road).

AFAIK, Kahoolawe doesn't have a "ring road," though there is some talk about building a ring foot trail.  K-1, an unpaved two-lane road, runs along the island's west-east ridge; K-2 is a short spur from K-1.  Satellite photos indicate some additional roads or trails, especially at the island's west end where what passes for visitor facilities are located, but I'm not aware of their having assigned numbers.

My only info about the roads is from planning documents for the island. The plans, and related websites, have some photos but none of the roads.  So I have no idea whether they are signed. 

AFAIK, even though a state agency manages the island (with help from the private Protect Kahoolawe Ohana), Hawaii DOT doesn't do road maintenance on Kahoolawe.

Since visitation is so heavily restricted (basically, by permit only, for Hawaiian religious or cultural events, or environmental restoration projects), I doubt I or any other roadgeek will get to visit anytime soon.  Kahoolawe road photos are on my Hawaii Highway site's public "wish list," but none of my readers has obliged.   
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

City

Quote from: froggie on December 11, 2009, 09:14:10 PM
Lake of the Woods CSAH 49...in Minnesota's Northwest Angle.  One of only two places I'm aware of in the Lower 48 where you have to drive through a different country (Canada in both cases) to access the location.  And the other one, AFAIK, doesn't involve a route number.

A similar case exists with Campobello Island, NB, where NB 774 is "land accessible" only by going through Maine...though this one has ferry access to the rest of New Brunswick.

Just curious... but what does CSAH stand for?

froggie

QuoteI would like to ask a subsidary question.  Are there any examples of state highways, not necessarily on islands or in areas isolated by bodies of water, which do not intersect or otherwise connect directly with other roads on the state highway system?

MN 297 in Fergus Falls fits that bill.  It hasn't touched another route since US 59 was rerouted onto I-94 in the early 1990s.

QuoteJust curious... but what does CSAH stand for?

County State Aid Highway.  MnDOT uses the route designation specifically for county routes that are on the state aid system.

rawmustard

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 12, 2009, 02:24:42 PM
I would like to ask a subsidary question.  Are there any examples of state highways, not necessarily on islands or in areas isolated by bodies of water, which do not intersect or otherwise connect directly with other roads on the state highway system?

Business M-32 in Hillman no longer connects to another state trunkline, as M-32 was realigned, and the old alignment was turned back. Business M-32 itself is very likely to be turned back very shortly after a reconstruction project wraps up.

MikeTheActuary

I don't have a MD state highway map handy, and a very quick look in Google maps didn't turn up any examples, but I have a very distinct memory of a couple of bridges in Maryland having been assigned MD highway numbers, even though the road using the bridge wasn't otherwise a state highway.

Scott5114

As an answer to Johnathan's question: MO SSR-V connects only to Iowa state highways, none in MO.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

akotchi

Quote from: HighwayMaster on December 13, 2009, 09:55:03 AM

NJ-64 is another good example. That is simply a bridge over the NJ Transit tracks in Princeton Junction, and is also signed as CR-571.

There are a few others in New Jersey like that, such as NJ-13 and NJ-162.

A full state highway (not just a bridge) that is similarly isolated is NJ-161 in Passaic County, just over a mile long.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

hbelkins

Kentucky has a number of these, mostly unsigned and mostly frontage routes along interstates or parkways, or bridges on county routes across interstates or parkways. I also recall one instance of this in Madison County where a state-numbered segment of road was in the middle of a highway that was county-maintained on either end, but have never been in that part of Madison County and don't know if that's still the case or not.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mgk920

Quote from: Brandon on December 12, 2009, 12:24:25 AM
Quote from: TheStranger on December 11, 2009, 04:44:37 PM
Mike, County H is also on Madeline Island according to the Wisconsin state map.

Thanx, for some-odd reason 'M' was stuck in my mind on that one.

Mike

njroadhorse

NJ 324 has indirect access to US 322, but it does not actually touch it.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Dougtone

NY 171 in Frankfort, Herkimer County does not intersect with any other state route.  However, NY 171 does cross over NY 5S and end at an old alignment of NY 5S.  It's southern terminus is at a county route.

florida

The eastern section of FL 2 is both remote and does not connect to any other state route in Florida.

Also, FDOT uploaded the A. Max Brewer Bridge in Titusville as SR 406 for the new replacement bridge; this section does not touch US 1 at all (it starts about 1/2 mile to the east).
So many roads...so little time.

OracleUsr

Quote from: froggie on December 11, 2009, 09:14:10 PM
Lake of the Woods CSAH 49...in Minnesota's Northwest Angle.  One of only two places I'm aware of in the Lower 48 where you have to drive through a different country (Canada in both cases) to access the location.  And the other one, AFAIK, doesn't involve a route number.

How does that square with the Border crossing?  I ask because I want to get to the Head Harbour Lighthouse in a couple of years, and it seems the border agents would frown on a quick dart across the border, only to return to New Brunswick later...
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.