News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Longest travel time on a VMS

Started by Kniwt, May 25, 2020, 08:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kniwt

Now that some states -- especially Arizona -- are posting travel times outside metro areas, I started wondering what the longest posted normal travel time (excluding incidents and emergencies) might be. I suspect this one isn't the biggest, but it's a start: I-40 westbound at Holbrook AZ:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Kniwt on May 25, 2020, 08:32:50 PM
Now that some states -- especially Arizona -- are posting travel times outside metro areas, I started wondering what the longest posted normal travel time (excluding incidents and emergencies) might be. I suspect this one isn't the biggest, but it's a start: I-40 westbound at Holbrook AZ:

That's interesting ADOT is now promoting AZ 377 as a short cut to Phoenix from I-40.  It was very much a local favorite of mine when heading to New Mexico and definitely more viable as 260 expanded. 

mrsman

What program allows you to see what the message boards are saying?

roadfro

Quote from: mrsman on May 26, 2020, 07:59:59 AM
What program allows you to see what the message boards are saying?

A few of the states' 511 road conditions websites have options that will show what message signs are saying, either by clicking an icon on a map (AZ) or sifting through a list of sign locations (NV).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

TheHighwayMan3561

I think it would have made a lot more sense to render it in H-M format that purely in minutes. At 75 MPH how many average joes are going to be able to figure out what 230 minutes is in hours?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

STLmapboy

That's by far the longest I've seen. On Caltrans' quickmap tool I've seen 90- to 120-minute travel times listed on I-15 in the Cajon Pass (to Baker, Barstow, and/or the NV line).
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

jeffandnicole

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 26, 2020, 11:33:36 AM
I think it would have made a lot more sense to render it in H-M format that purely in minutes. At 75 MPH how many average joes are going to be able to figure out what 230 minutes is in hours?

In most cases, that time is unrealistic due to needing fuel, bathroom breaks or food at some point during that period of time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.