News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Best (blank) you had was at (blank)

Started by TheHighwayMan3561, February 05, 2021, 02:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Big John

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Big John

^^ Chicago suburb, don't know which one.

roadman65

The best pizza I had was at the Saw Mill in Seaside Heights, NJ.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Takumi

Quote from: kphoger on February 05, 2021, 11:33:44 AM
It's the only place I've ever been solicited by a prostitute, too.  With meth mouth.  Yikes!
I don't know why, but the thought of a prostitute with a Chicago accent cracks me up.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

ftballfan

Quote from: kphoger on February 05, 2021, 11:21:21 AM
Take note, everybody:

French fries – Pizza Hut
Speaking of Pizza Hut, their potato soup (only available at some locations) is among the best soup I've had.

For other categories:
BBQ: Smokehouse 52 in Chelsea, MI (also has the best Mac and cheese)
Pizza: Buddy's Pizza (several locations in Michigan)
Breakfast: Red Geranium Cafe in Kentwood, MI

OCGuy81

Breakfast is a tough one to narrow down as there's so many options. I'm going to break down my favorite breakfast dishes and where I had them.

Biscuits and gravy: Big Bad Breakfast- Nashville, TN
Chicken fried steak: Ozona Bar & Grill - Dallas, TX
Best bacon: Stacks Pancake House - Irvine, CA
Best pancakes: Kens Pancake House - Hilo, HI

Pink Jazz

Rothman

Quote from: Pink Jazz on February 06, 2021, 06:15:12 PM
Chicken Parmesan - Buca di Beppo
What?  Oh no.

Blue Ribbon Diner in Schenectady, NY has great chicken parm.  Isopo's in the same city has a great chicken parm sub.  Lots of better chicken parm out there than from that average chain.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Rothman on February 06, 2021, 07:14:48 PM
What?  Oh no.

Blue Ribbon Diner in Schenectady, NY has great chicken parm.  Isopo's in the same city has a great chicken parm sub.  Lots of better chicken parm out there than from that average chain.

And the anti-chain bias kicks in. Just because a restaurant is family-owned doesn't automatically make the food better. I once went to a horrible local Italian restaurant in Colorado. I have the legal and God-given right to prefer Buca di Beppo and nobody can change that.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

webny99

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 06, 2021, 08:03:58 PM
Best custard?

For me I'd go with one of two local places: Abbott's or Pittsford Dairy.

Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 06, 2021, 04:58:53 PM
Breakfast is a tough one ...

I agree. Bob Evans and Cracker Barrel are both good for chains, but I do feel that local places often have the edge when it comes to breakfast. I've been to a few great ones including one in Vermont who's name has escaped me at the moment.

Rothman

Quote from: Pink Jazz on February 06, 2021, 07:50:03 PM
What?  Oh no.

And the anti-chain bias kicks in. Just because a restaurant is family-owned doesn't automatically make the food better. I once went to a horrible local Italian restaurant in Colorado. I have the legal and God-given right to prefer Buca di Beppo and nobody can change that.

We are talking best of, though, and there is indeed a lot of lousy chicken parm out there.  But, there is definitely a lot of better chicken parm than what is served at Buca di Beppo, chain bias or not (like I said, it's average).

And, you are entitled to your opinion, true.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Rothman on February 06, 2021, 09:06:50 PM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on February 06, 2021, 07:50:03 PM
What?  Oh no.

We are talking best of, though, and there is indeed a lot of lousy chicken parm out there.  But, there is definitely a lot of better chicken parm than what is served at Buca di Beppo, chain bias or not (like I said, it's average).

And, you are entitled to your opinion, true.

Well, when we make chicken parm at home, we usually make it with a pink Parma Rosa sauce.

hbelkins

Since someone brought up chicken parm, a now-defunct place called Charlie's in Morehead, Ky. Loved eating there when I was in college.

Milkshake -- Dairy Cheer. Once a regional chain in eastern Kentucky, they're now down to just a couple of locations, Pikeville and Prestonsburg. There was one in Morehead when I was in college and their shakes were excellent. I had one on a visit to Pikeville a couple of years ago and it was just as good as I remembered.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kevinb1994

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 06, 2021, 08:03:58 PM
Best custard? Culvers
I guess that's why they're that good! Mmm...

Still waiting on more locations around here, but that shouldn't be much longer.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.