News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Longest Warning for Ending Lane

Started by MASTERNC, January 13, 2013, 11:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MASTERNC

I know this is another random topic but I was wondering what is the most advance warning anyone has seen for a lane ending.  I've seen two signs that give 3 miles' notice.  One sign is on the Ohio Turnpike and the other on the sweeping ramp from I-295 to I-95 North near Richmond.

Outside of that, I have seen at least one 2 mile notice in Pennsylvania on US 202 South near Malvern.

PHLBOS

Quote from: MASTERNC on January 13, 2013, 11:29:48 PMI have seen at least one 2 mile notice in Pennsylvania on US 202 South near Malvern.
That's only a temporary measure.  There's a widening project taking place south of the Chesterbrook exit (where 202 drops from 6 to 4 lanes) and will ultimately widen US 202 to 6-lanes from there to the US 30 interchange.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

nwi_navigator_1181

There is a two-mile warning on I-80/94 eastbound in the Gary area, when four lanes drop to three. The message is conveyed in the center median with a standard diamond and supplemental distance warning. It goes from 2 miles down to 1.5, then 1, then 0.5, then a final 1000-foot warning before left-lane termination. For a high-velocity corridor such as this, I think overhead cantilevers would have sufficed, similar to I-65 Southbound in nearby Merrillville when its third lane is dropped.

I too noticed the 3-mile warning on the Ohio Turnpike westbound as my wife and I passed by Toledo on our way back from Cleveland.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

agentsteel53

I-5 southbound in San Diego is striped as "lane about to exit" (double-frequency double-width lane stripes) all the way from the CA-52 on ramp to the next exit (Pacific Beach/Business Loop 5).  that distance is about 1.6 miles.

http://goo.gl/maps/YvEs8

not as long as some of the signage examples above, but it is the longest example of continuous exit striping I can think of offhand.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadman65

US 50 West and US 301 South near Annapolis used to have a typical MD WARNING sign about a mile away from MD 2 exit that read the  "RIGHT LANE MUST EXIT AT MD 2" 

What is more interesting is most people bound for MD 450 would think the lane will go for both routes being at the same interchange and usually lanes do not typically end at the first of two ramps (unless its auxillary), but at the last one.  I made the mistake in telling my dad when we were visiting the Naval Academy back in the 1970s when I was real young  that he should get into the far right lane when I saw that sign, thinking the MD 2 was for both directions of travel to Ritchie Highway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.