News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Speed limits

Started by Chris, January 23, 2009, 04:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Quotefrom Froggie: Yes, I-85 has been raised to 70 outside of Petersburg.
How far north does the speed limit stay 70?
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

Hopefully soon portions of I-81, I-77, I-64, I-66, and I-95 along with VA 288 and VA 895 will also be allowed to be 70.  I would even throw in VA 168 south of VA 190/Kempsville Rd until the toll plaza.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Crazy Volvo Guy

The reason is revenue enhancement.

80 is reasonable.  They know most people will just go 80 anyway, but the 65 limit means they can legally get you for doing a perfectly safe, reasonable speed.  This, of course, translates to lots of money coming in from ticket revenue.  Speed enforcement wouldn't be the profit machine it is if speed limits were posted at what were actually reasonable.

Additionally, we've become so conditioned to it, thanks to the propaganda machine, that we tend to think raising the limits to 80 would cause everyone to drive 95, when in fact it wouldn't.  Most people are comfortable between 70 and 85, the rest are either those who will obey the speed limit right on the nose or those who will not drive reasonably no matter what.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

Bryant5493

The speed limit on I-85, from SR 74 to the end of the I-85 reconstruction zone in Fulton and Coweta counties (GA), has been lowered from 60 m.p.h. to 50 m.p.h. There have been three-to-four major accidents in this area. This construction should be finished in late December '09.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Sykotyk

US-43|72, you hit it on the head. Most people find a comfort zone in the low 70s. Take away any speed limit, that's about the average speed people will travel.

It is a money-making venture by states, and until that little issue is corrected, speed limits will ALWAYS be artificially low.

Sykotyk

Greybear

TxDOT is temporarily dropping the speed limit on I-30 through Greenville from 70 to 60 between M/M 91 and 96 due to the upcoming reconstruction of the TX 34 interchange (Exits 93AB); construction of the new Monty Stratton Parkway interchange (future Exit 92); the addition of a turnaround bridge at Bus US 69 (Exit 94A); and the realignment of the westbound frontage road at US 69/380 (Exit 94A).

This is all in addition to converting the frontage roads along I-30 between Monty Stratton Parkway (future Exit 92) and Division St (Exit 95) from two-way to one way.

The completion date for all of this is sometime in 2011.

froggie

Bringing this old thread back, the Texas House approved a bill yesterday that would allow for a speed limit up to 85 MPH.

Alps

elsmere241

Quote from: Alex on January 24, 2009, 01:25:13 AM
All of Interstate 95 in Delaware is signed with a 55 mph speed limit. Its almost impossible to find one driver do the 55 mph speed limit during free-flowing traffic conditions.

And because of the flow of traffic around 70-75 mph, my wife will not drive that road unless she absolutely has to.

roadman65

What is with Vermont, Delaware, and New Jersey all having two lane roads at only 50 mph?  Also, Connecticut has US 7 posted at a maximum limit of only 40!  A few miles west across the state line NY Route 22 is 55 mph.

Then Arkansas has only 55 mph on two lane roads while Oklahoma lets you do 65.  No wonder why I-49 is needed! I drove US 71 from Kansas City to Lafayette, LA and it took me all day!  That 55 was too slow for that type of highway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.