Railroad grades that parallel highways for miles

Started by roadman65, January 28, 2012, 01:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

US 23's bypass of Delaware, Ohio follows an old railroad right-of-way for several miles.
In Columbus;
I-670 from the Convention Center out to 5th Ave was railroad till the late 1960s.
I-71 from Hudson St. to Eleventh Ave was a former railroad right-of-way.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Duke87

Quote from: bugo on January 29, 2012, 01:02:41 PM
one fairly unique example: a stretch of OK 51/US 64/Broken Arrow Expressway in Tulsa was built along both sides of a railroad in between I-44 and I-444, and today the rail line runs down the median.

Even more unique example: part of A-20 in Montreal runs on either side of an active rail line... with the carriageways flipped (i.e., in both directions you're driving with the tracks to your right)
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: NE2 on January 28, 2012, 11:06:18 PM
Quote from: SidS1045 on January 28, 2012, 10:48:48 PM
Almost the entire Massachusetts Turnpike ROW was purchased from the now-defunct Boston & Albany Railroad, and the portion between the I-95 and I-93 interchanges still runs next to those tracks, which are now part of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority commuter rail lines.
What the crap? The old Boston and Albany is the CSX line from Boston to (duh) Albany. The two are nowhere near each other outside 128.

(You may be thinking of the never-finished Southern New England Railway, but that's also unrelated to the Masspike, except that its grading can be seen in at least one place.)

Maybe he was referring to the Hampden Railroad, whose right-of-way was used for a few miles of the Springfield Bypass that itself was used for the Mass Pike according to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts_Turnpike#History
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

kphoger

The BA in Tulsa has a railroad running down the middle for a few miles.  I read on someone's highway page that the railroad isn't in use, but I have personally driven next to a moving train on the highway.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jwolfer

I used to live right near the CSX tracks next to US 17( Roosevelt Blvd) in Jacksonville.  I used to like seeing the Amtrack AutoTrain going by

Dr Frankenstein

I don't think these could be more parallel to the streets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwUXmEDZMhM (9th St, Erie PA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7UpEDD2hA4 (Walker St, Watsonville CA)

Yes, this is a left turn lane on the second one.

mgk920

I think that the better subject for a thread in here is 'Street running', like with the mainline railroad that uses the city street that passes though Jack London Square in Oakland, CA.

In Wisconsin, there is street trackage for a few blocks on CN's ex CNW Green Bay-Marinette line in Oconto, WI.  CN's ex WC western Canada-Chicago mainline also uses the median of Broad St on two separate sections in Oshkosh, WI.  This section of track in Oshkosh was also originally a section of a CNW line.

Mike

mightyace

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on January 31, 2012, 08:40:07 PM
I don't think these could be more parallel to the streets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwUXmEDZMhM (9th St, Erie PA)

The one in Erie (actually 19th Street) was removed in 2002.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erie,_Pennsylvania

QuoteThe mainline of the Norfolk Southern Railway, originally built by the Nickel Plate Railroad, also travels through Erie. At one time Norfolk Southern trains ran down the middle of 19th Street, but were removed in 2002.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

qguy

It's been noted that I-95 follows the Northeast Corridor in New York and Connecticut. It also closely follows the Corridor as it passes through northeast Philadelphia and lower Bucks County, Pennsylvania, from just north of Exit 27 to just north of Exit 37.

When it was constructed in 1958, the PA 309 Fort Washington Expressway was built on the alignment and ROW of the former Pennsylvania Railroad Fort Washington Branch (abandoned in 1954) between Willow Grove Avenue and Valley Green Road.

When US 202 Section 400 (Swedesford Road to I-76 Schuylkill Expressway) was widened, reconstructed, and reconfigured in 2003, a new multi-lane ramp was created for direct travel from US 202 NB and US 422 EB to I-76 EB. This ramp used the alignment and ROW of the former Philadelphia & Chester Valley RR (later the PRR Chester Valley Branch, abandoned in 1989). It also effectively enclosed an office park within the expanded I-76/US 202 interchange.

One Mr. Kitsko has a good page on his PAHighways site here: < www.pahighways.com/us/US202.html >  The page includes photos of Section 400 supplied by me when I worked at PennDOT. In some of the aerial photos, the ramp may be seen under construction. In the diagram, the ramp is seen as the long horizontal red line across the bottom.

Darkchylde

From LA 433 in Slidell to LA 41 in Pearl River, US 11 parallels a railroad pretty close, diverting from the parallel only to overcross it. It leaves the parallel for good in LA when it overcrosses it to join its concurrency with I-59.

From just north of Hammond to the LA/MS state line (if not farther,) US 51 does the same.

LA 21/Business US 190's segment in Downtown Covington is one block over from Gibson Street, which used to have a railroad running down the middle. That rail line was removed over the 90's and early 2000's to make way for Covington's Tammany Trace section.

Rick Powell

Quote from: mgk920 on January 31, 2012, 09:31:07 PM
I think that the better subject for a thread in here is 'Street running', like with the mainline railroad that uses the city street that passes though Jack London Square in Oakland, CA.

In Wisconsin, there is street trackage for a few blocks on CN's ex CNW Green Bay-Marinette line in Oconto, WI.  CN's ex WC western Canada-Chicago mainline also uses the median of Broad St on two separate sections in Oshkosh, WI.  This section of track in Oshkosh was also originally a section of a CNW line.

Mike

Go to railpictures.net and search for "street running" and those examples, plus other famous ones like the CSX thru LaGrange, KY and the South Shore line thru Michigan City, IN will pop up in pix.

qguy

In Delaware, I-495 runs next to the Northeast Corridor, similarly to I-95 in Philadelphia. Along both the driver can often be swiftly overtaken by Amtrak Acela trains. Makes you feel slow.

When I was a teen, one could still see passenger trains on the Corridor (next to I-95; I-495 didn't exist yet) pulled by the famed Raymond Loewy-designed GG1, in service incredibly from 1935 to 1983. To watch one pace your vehicle was always a treat.

BTW, I-195 in Richmond (noted by the OP) is very interesting. I've ridden Amtrak up the median twice. It's quite a head-turner having a freeway full of vehicles running on both sides of the rail car.

goobnav

US 301 in VA and NC parallels the CSX mainline which was the old Atlantic Coastline double track main in which the daily Tropacana juice trains still travel from Florida to New Jersey.
Life is a highway and I drive it all night long!

brownpelican

US 90 parallels a railroad throughout Mississippi. You can say the same about US 49 from Jackson to Gulfport (though I'm not sure if the railroad is in use anymore), US 51 and US 80 when it isn't concurrent with I-20 (all in MS).

D-Dey65

Quote from: ap70621 on January 29, 2012, 08:48:42 AM
I believe I remember US 13 in Virginia along the Delmarva Peninsula having a railroad right next to it for a while.
It still does from what I remember the last time I was there.

roadman65

I forgot about this one living in New Jersey for decades, I should have known this right away.  NJ 28 follows the Raritan Valley NJ Transit Line for miles between Dunnellen and Elizabeth.  From Dunnellon to its western terminus in Bridgewater it even runs within a few miles of the line as well.  Actually NJ 28 in its entirety follows near or close to this defunct CNJ Railroad mainline that once carried freights in addition to passenger trains since the day that all NE US railroads went belly up in the Vietnam War era.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Takumi

US 460 parallels a railroad from near Suffolk to Petersburg, then picks up following that same railroad to at least Farmville.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

golden eagle

If I'm not mistaken, there is a railroad that runs closely with I-40 and US 70 through NE Arkansas.

There is also a railroad that follows closely with I-55 in Mississippi. I remember over 20 years picking up a relative at an Amtrak station in Durant (which is off I-55). The Amtrak route has been since rerouted to go through Yazoo City and Greenwood.

cpzilliacus

Md. 260 in Anne Arundel and Calvert Counties runs on the bed of the former Chesapeake Beach Railroad, which ran between Seat Pleasant (near the D.C. border) and the Chesapeake Bay.

Most of Md. 704 in Prince George's County runs on the bed of the former Washington, Baltimore and Annapolis Electric Railway.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

D-Dey65

Quote from: qguy on February 06, 2012, 05:40:42 PMBTW, I-195 in Richmond (noted by the OP) is very interesting. I've ridden Amtrak up the median twice. It's quite a head-turner having a freeway full of vehicles running on both sides of the rail car.
Oh, I've done that myself. You mentioned the Northeast Corridor which contains Acela speeding by I-495 in Delaware, but on the opposite end of that spectrum, there's US 17 in Florida which runs parallel to a CSX line between Palatka and Green Cove Springs. This line also serves a lot of Amtrak Silver Service line trains, but whether it's freight or passenger trains, they all run slow as hell. You can drive faster on US 17, which is legally 60 MPH. If there was a grade crossing between US 17 and the tracks(besides at Palatka Union Station, of course), you could very easily beat any train.

Roadgeek Adam

I-10 in Texas out towards Plateau, Michigan Flat and Boracho Station has a rail line running parallel a distance to the north. One of those exits on Street View has a train on it.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.