Are traffic signals becoming too overrated?

Started by roadman65, December 08, 2013, 11:24:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tradephoric

How is this for interconnectivity?  Driving to your next door neighbors takes 3.1 miles!

Increasing interconnectivity may help in reducing the number of traffic signals along a corridor.  However, traffic signals at major intersecting roads are still necessary and the major corridors in Orlando appear to be irregularly spaced.  It's very hard to coordinate irregularly spaced intersections, but I do agree that eliminating some of the minor signals would be quite helpful to keep traffic moving.

As a driver, I accept that a major corridor might turn into a parking lot during the AM and PM rush.  Sometimes the capacity just isn't there.  What I can't stand is when I'm driving at 10 o'clock at night and end up getting stopped at every other red light.  A driver who is able to maintain the posted speed limit along a major corridor shouldn't be hitting red lights.

vdeane

South of Burlington on US 7, the speed limit is 35/40 but the signals are set for 30.  The signs say so.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

You know NE 2 has a brilliant plan of connecting subdivisions together.  New building laws should make that for all new subdivisions and strip malls as they too do not connect among each other as well.

I find it quite annoying now that two shopping centers next too each other have a grass area in between them and no cut across it.  With fuel consumption a must these days and safety being a big issue on our overcrowded roads, this kind of thing is causing more traffic on the roads, as we now need to go out to the street that is already congested that would allow in between vehicles to stay off of the main arterial. 

I have a Dollar Tree near my house, and I have to leave my subdivision onto the busy highway, sit through two lights where if a connection was made between the strip mall on my corner to its neighbor, I would not only have to consume energy to wait at two traffic lights, but also improve safety as I would be one less vehicle on the ever so congested OBT.

The problem is liability  as landowners and developers do not want others on their property for fear of having to be liable and do not want to pay upkeep on the pavement for those who do not patronize them either.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

The most successful, happiest, best places to live are the interconnected ones.

Scott5114

Quote from: roadman65 on December 17, 2013, 10:05:00 AM
I find it quite annoying now that two shopping centers next too each other have a grass area in between them and no cut across it.  With fuel consumption a must these days and safety being a big issue on our overcrowded roads, this kind of thing is causing more traffic on the roads, as we now need to go out to the street that is already congested that would allow in between vehicles to stay off of the main arterial. 

There is one such setup near where I live, except that the grass area has not remained a grass area. It became a dirt area because everyone just disregarded it and drove between the properties anyway.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.