News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

PSAs on VMSs Good or Bad?

Started by Mergingtraffic, December 31, 2011, 12:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sp_redelectric

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 04, 2012, 06:46:55 PMsuch uplifting messages as "courage", "dedication"
Brought to you by The Foundation for a Better Life.  LOL!

I do agree that VMSes should only be used for urgent messages (including poor weather conditions).  Travel time signs should be separate, fixed, permanent signs so that drivers who want that information know where to look for it.  When ODOT used to display the travel times on the VMSes the "travel to" destinations would periodically change.  I don't have to drive the freeway in my commute but talking to my co-workers, they tell me that each time the VMS lights up, everyone slams on their brakes.  I've even heard it on the morning traffic reports of "slow traffic due to motorists reading a variable message sign".

Scott5114

Obviously they need to post a new message...

DON'T SLOW DOWN TO READ THIS SIGN

MORON
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

gonealookin

The one in Stateline, NV on eastbound US-50 approaching NV-207 has occasionally displayed WELCOME TO NEVADA.  Talk about useless.

The westbound US-50 one a few hundred yards up the road often displays California chain control information.  Now that's useful.

1995hoo

I was watching some sports highlights the other night and one of the ones they showed was that amazing comeback by the 1992 Buffalo Bills against the Houston Oilers in the playoffs when the Bills were losing 32—3 but won the game. It reminded me of one of the dumber VMS PSAs: The following week the Bills played in Pittsburgh and I recall Sports Illustrated had a picture of a VMS on the approach to the Fort Pitt Tunnel that said "Attention Buffalo Fans/Entering Terrible Towel Zone/No Comebacks Allowed." (The Steelers lost.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hm insulators

Quote from: CL on January 02, 2012, 10:07:10 PM
Utah only uses its VMSs for travel time information and air pollution advisories when not used for emergency purposes. The air pollution messages always say something along the lines of, "Poor air quality Mon-Wed; Drive less, Travel wise." I don't think that's a bad thing.

Phoenix does something similar with their VMS signs--during smoggy days, they say something like "HIGH POLLUTION ADVISORY. CARPOOL. USE BUS."
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

kphoger

A little late to catch a bus, unless the VMS is posted right outside your front yard.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: hm insulators on January 10, 2012, 02:50:05 PM
Quote from: CL on January 02, 2012, 10:07:10 PM
Utah only uses its VMSs for travel time information and air pollution advisories when not used for emergency purposes. The air pollution messages always say something along the lines of, "Poor air quality Mon-Wed; Drive less, Travel wise." I don't think that's a bad thing.

Phoenix does something similar with their VMS signs--during smoggy days, they say something like "HIGH POLLUTION ADVISORY. CARPOOL. USE BUS."

Around here when we have a "Code Red" (or, very rarely, a more severe "Code Purple") bad-air day the buses are free and they tell everyone to use the bus and to avoid doing anything outdoors if possible. I've always wondered how I'm supposed to reconcile those two things when the nearest bus stop is a half-mile walk.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Duke87

Kinda like how sometimes around here you'll see "NYC GRIDLOCK ALERT TODAY USE MASS TRANSIT".

Too late, already in my car. And the fact that I am in my car means I am going somewhere the subway does not. Else, I would be on the train anyway.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

mightyace

I noticed during my holiday travel that Kentucky puts the drunk driving and seat belt messages on their VMSs during this period.

I pretty sure that I did not see this on the signs during non-holiday periods.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

deathtopumpkins

VMSes around Mass. over the past couple weeks have been displaying very poorly-arranged safety messages. I forget the exact wording, but something to the effect of "Obey Speed Limits / Don't Drink & Drive / [something else]"

I remember back in Virginia they would display a message similar to the ones mentioned above when under an ozone advisory.

Oh and I'm moving this thread to Traffic Control, I feel that's a more appropriate place.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

SidS1045

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on January 14, 2012, 11:55:04 AM
VMSes around Mass. over the past couple weeks have been displaying very poorly-arranged safety messages. I forget the exact wording, but something to the effect of "Obey Speed Limits / Don't Drink & Drive / [something else]"

I remember back in Virginia they would display a message similar to the ones mentioned above when under an ozone advisory.

Oh and I'm moving this thread to Traffic Control, I feel that's a more appropriate place.

The other one is an alternating message about no cell phone use for junior operators and no texting for all drivers.  (It's still legal in Massachusetts to use a handheld cell phone for calling or answering a call...no hands-free law here yet.)

They also use VMS's in Massachusetts for weather advisories, but only those that will affect driving, usually limited to severe thunderstorms or winter storms.  When one of our major-league teams is in the playoffs, they will often display "Go Red Sox/Patriots/Celtics/Bruins," whichever is appropriate.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Takumi

In the sports-on-VMS vein, whenever NASCAR or IndyCar visits Richmond International Raceway, the VMS's on I-95 northbound would say which exit race traffic should take to reach the track.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Quote from: SidS1045 on January 14, 2012, 10:58:42 PM
(It's still legal in Massachusetts to use a handheld cell phone for calling or answering a call...no hands-free law here yet.)

Seriously? Well  :clap: to Massachusetts!

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.