Typical daily/weekly highway usage

Started by golden eagle, July 07, 2012, 01:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

Not counting personal road trips, how much of your daily or weekly driving involves driving on highways, whether it's commuting for work/school, work-related travel, running errands, etc.? For me, maybe about 20% of the time. Yesterday, I didn't use the local highways at all. But on Wednesday, most of my driving involved taking US 49 to go to my mom's house and back.

Scott5114

My commute involves a short stretch of city street, then it's all OK-9 and I-35 (which OK-9 concurs with).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

huskeroadgeek

On a daily basis, generally all of my driving in Lincoln is on city streets-no highways. In fact, I can sometimes go over a week without even crossing a highway. Locally, the only highways I ever drive on with any regularity would be US 34 and NE 2. Because it's on the opposite side of the city from me I rarely even travel I-180, which is the only real urban freeway in Lincoln. When I used it to get to our local fireworks display earlier this week, it was the first time this year I had driven on it.

Takumi

I-95, VA 144, US 301, and about 20 feet of US 460 are the numbered highways I use. City streets otherwise.

At the second store I've been working at some recently, most of my commute is on US 1/301.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

allniter89

Quote from: golden eagle on July 07, 2012, 01:16:26 PM
Not counting personal road trips, how much of your daily or weekly driving involves driving on highways, whether it's commuting for work/school, work-related travel, running errands, etc.? For me, maybe about 20% of the time. Yesterday, I didn't use the local highways at all. But on Wednesday, most of my driving involved taking US 49 to go to my mom's house and back.
99%-2 city streets, 1 US highway and 2 county highways.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

InterstateNG

Every day, since my subdivision exits onto either a US or state highway.
I demand an apology.

JREwing78

Now, it's all city streets. A couple months ago, 95% of my commute was on Interstate and/or US highways.

Job didn't change; I just moved closer to it.

corco

I live on Arizona 77, so I'm on that a lot.

Beyond that, I live in Tucson, so I pretty much am only on numbered highways when I leave town, since the interstate is pretty much useless for intracity travel.

deathtopumpkins

I live a block away from MA 1A right now, and it's the main road through town, so I use it a lot, plus frequently MA 128 & 114, and fairly often US 1 and I-95. When I'm living in Boston though I'll live directly on MA 28  and spend much of my time on MA 9 - all on foot though.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Brandon

My usual commute involves 3-1/2 miles of IL-47 (office is just off it).  I can use IL-59 for a mile if I want.  Otherwise, it's all city streets and county highways.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

My commute involves a short stretch of local streets, then a duplexed US highway (54/400), then a tripleplexed Interstate (I-135/US-81/KS-15 plus a short stretch quadruplexed with KS-96), then a couple more blocks of local streets.  Almost all highway.

To and from church uses US-54/400 and then about a mile of local streets.

Our best friend lives clear on the other side of town, for which we use 54/400 to reach.

The only places we go that don't use any highway are stores and my parents' house.  That's because I've found the back streets to be faster than waiting for the stoplights to get on the highway on the way to the store, and it's a straight shot north all the way through town to my parents'.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

my commute is basically CA-67, CA-52, CA-805: all freeways.  about half a mile each on each end of surface streets.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mtantillo

For a while, a good chunk of my commute included Federally maintained roadways...Rock Creek Parkway from Calvert Street to Virginia Avenue, and GW Parkway from I-66 to I-495.  But lately I've been commuting off-peak and taking I-66 all the way to Route 7.

My typical commute from Woodley Park in DC to Tysons Corner is Calvert Street, Rock Creek Parkway, Virginia Ave, I-66, VA 7, Idylwood Road, Gallows Road, Old Courthouse Road, into my office park.  But since it is Virginia, everything in Virginia is state maintained.  In DC, mostly Federally maintained except for short stretches of city street and the Potomac River Freeway which are city maintained. 

So if you count Rock Creek Parkway as a highway, I'd say 80% of my commute is on highway. 

venturafwy

About 25 miles on city streets and 45 miles on US-101 between LA and Ventura Counties daily for me.

Darkchylde

Virtually all of my driving is on highways. If I had to give an exact number, I'd say 98.5%. Distance-wise per week, maybe 25-30 miles per week.

mcdonaat

I'd say 99% is on either a state highway or former state highway. 10% on Interstate, 50% on US highways, and 35% on state highways or former state highways. The other 5% is a parish road.

Commuting home, it's different. 30% on Interstates, 40% on US highways, 25% on state highways, and 5% on parish roads.

sp_redelectric

Quote from: InterstateNG on July 07, 2012, 07:01:55 PMEvery day, since my subdivision exits onto either a US or state highway.

Same here, I'm a block off of Oregon 99W.  Use 99W virtually all the way into downtown Portland to commute.  Most stores in Tigard are on 99W.

hm insulators

At my most recent job, I would get on Arizona 51 north at Glendale Avenue and get off at Bell Road to get there.

Near my house, there used to be two supermarkets where I frequently shopped, one east of the 51 Freeway and a bit south of Camelback Road, the other one on Glendale Avenue just west of the 51. Before the one on Glendale went out of business, I often used the 51 to get from one store to the other.

Going out to visit my mother in Sun City West, I will usually use some stretch of the Loop 101 (which one depends on which restaurant I eat lunch at) to access Bell Road. Coming home, I now use the new Loop 303 stretch that connects the Sun City West/Surprise area to I-17. It's out of the way but it sure beats fighting all those danged traffic lights on Bell Road!
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

wphiii

My course of home living only finds me driving on a real highway maybe once a week. I live within a 15-minute walk of my office, and a 20-minute bus ride from Downtown, so I take the bus when possible. If I do drive Downtown, then I'll use I-376/I-579, but I don't have the need to do that very often. Practically everything else I need I can get within a 15-minute radius using local roads.

However, I have to travel for work usually two weeks out of every month, and the nature of my job (a road-related field) does require me to be out driving quite a bit during these trips. My total driving on work-related trips usually amounts to about 200 miles or so per 3-4 day trip (very rough approximation), much of which is on State, U.S., or Interstate highways.

Kacie Jane

Generally speaking, I take the freeway to work and surface streets home.

To work: 3.5 out of 4.5 miles on I-5 and SR 11.
To home: 0 miles on numbered highways.  However, depending on the route, 2.5-3.1 miles were SR 11 until the 70s, portions of which were old US 99.

Duke87

Do the highways have to be numbered? Because here in New York we have these things called parkways...

I don't use my car on a daily basis. If I use it it's either because work demands I go somewhere the subway does not or because I'm driving somewhere to visit someone (plus roadtrips, but we said we're not including those).

Since I don't do any driving that's purely local, almost all of my miles are on state or interstate highways (just not necessarily with signed numbers). Due to where and what they are in this area, US highways don't get involved as much.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.