NJ Turnpike fire at I-195 to 'permanently' close one WB lane

Started by jeffandnicole, October 05, 2012, 09:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

On Wed, 10/3/12, a dump truck flipped over on the NJ Turnpike SB approaching Interchange 7A (I-195), directly beneath the (former) EB lanes of I-195.  This overpass had been temporary widened to allow for 2 lanes of 2-way traffic, while the I-195 WB overpass of I-195 were removed and replaced to allow for the dual-daul widening of the turnpike below. This caused both the NJ Turnpike and I-195 to be closed for several hours during the day.

The truck just happen to catch fire directly underneath I-195, which took a while to extinguish due to the leaking diesel fuel as well as its location.  The fire caused a steel beam above the 'pike to sag a bit beyond what is normally allowable.  I-195 over the 'pike reopened later in the day, 2 lanes EB, but only 1 lane WB.

The decision was quickly made to make the lane closure permanent.  This overpass was scheduled to be closed anyway around the beginning of December, after the new WB overpass is opened.  The new overpass will be wider to allow for full left and right shoulders, but for the present time will allow for 2 lanes each way while the EB overpass is rebuilt.  Officials decided it wasn't worth the time and money to fix a span that will be deconstructed in about 2 months anyway.

While the decision was probably correct, heavy congestion will be part of the daily travel for I-195 WB traffic for the next few months, especially in the morning rush hour as traffic heads towards Trenton, as well as on weekends due to Six Flags Great Adventure's popular Fright Fest.

KEVIN_224

Has the NJ Turnpike itself been impacted permanently? I've taken this exit many times, always heading west towards Trenton.

jeffandnicole

The Turnpike is fully open in that area.  They did shut down 2 lanes of the 'pike yesterday for 2 hours to re-inspect the bridge, and they said they'll do the same tonight to re-re-inspect the bridge, but those closures will occur well outside of the rush hour periods.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 05, 2012, 01:32:37 PM
The Turnpike is fully open in that area.  They did shut down 2 lanes of the 'pike yesterday for 2 hours to re-inspect the bridge, and they said they'll do the same tonight to re-re-inspect the bridge, but those closures will occur well outside of the rush hour periods.
THAT must be what I had run into. Outside the rush hour my ass, it was late morning.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Steve on October 07, 2012, 05:03:04 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 05, 2012, 01:32:37 PM
THAT must be what I had run into. Outside the rush hour my ass, it was late morning.
Which is outside rush hour.  Closing 2 of 3 lanes in a construction zone with guys on cherry picker trucks looking at burnt steel is going to cause traffic delays no matter what the time is!

hm insulators

Shades of the Paramount Boulevard bridge over California 60, where a truck on the freeway caught fire right under the overpass and the damage was so great Caltrans had to knock the bridge down and build a replacement.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

NJRoadfan

Quote from: hm insulators on October 09, 2012, 03:55:22 PM
Shades of the Paramount Boulevard bridge over California 60, where a truck on the freeway caught fire right under the overpass and the damage was so great Caltrans had to knock the bridge down and build a replacement.

In this case, a replacement was already in the process of being built! Luckily the accident didn't damage the new bridge.

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

connroadgeek

Sounds like I-95 in Bridgeport. Almost ten years ago a tanker fire melted the steel of the elevated highway and caused the steel beams to sag almost down to the roadway underneath it. The sad part was that the section of highway had just been reconstructed, and it took a few days to put a temporary bridge in place. That temporary bridge couldn't handle speeds over 45 and the speed limit was strictly enforced including big speed limit signs on just about every light post.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SteveG1988 on October 17, 2012, 07:19:31 PM
One more lane is open now.

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2012/10/new_jersey_dot_to_reopen_i-195.html

Yep - the bridge is at full capacity now.  Drove over it yesterday and no delay (or even a hint that it was reduced to one lane for a few weeks).

Alps

" The widening project is set to be completed in the next two months. "

I'm guessing they mean "I-195 over the widening project." Don't get your hopes up, New Jersey!

YankeesFan

Quote from: Steve on October 20, 2012, 01:40:47 PM
" The widening project is set to be completed in the next two months. "

I'm guessing they mean "I-195 over the widening project." Don't get your hopes up, New Jersey!

now it's time to widen I-195 from exit 1 to 16...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.