News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Places you always stop

Started by ShawnP, December 08, 2012, 12:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elsmere241

We moved from Nashville, Tennessee to Newark, Delaware in 1982, but made several trips back to Nashville in the next several years (usually for Christmas).  We usually stopped at the Taste-Freez in Blacksburg, Virginia (then Exit 37 on I-81) and usually stopped for gas at the Strawberry Plains Pike exit on I-40 east of Knoxville - at first the Pilot station on the south side, and later the Amoco station on the north side.

We usually went west every other summer through 1982, and then again in 1988) and generally took the same routes, and stopped at the same places.  I'll have to think about where exactly and come back to this thread.

lepidopteran

When travelling from Dayton, OH to points east on I-70, the "I have to go to the bathroom"s seem to begin around Zanesville.  Exit 160 seems to be the popular choice for a comfort stations.   Formerly, the exit just said "Airport" (Zanesville Municipal), but now it reads "Airport Rd. Sonora Rd."  There's a "Holidome" there which I think is now a Ramada, and once upon a time there was a Howard Johnson's restaurant.

Alps

One I just realized yesterday: Whenever I come back home via I-83 from Baltimore/southern PA (the route being 83-30-222-78 with slight variations), I always stop at the Rutter's between 83 and 30. I'll use yesterday as an example: it was 9 PM, perfect time for a late dinner and to pick up half a sandwich for the next day's lunch. Also, coincidentally, my gas gauge was nearing empty at the time, and it has about the cheapest gas that I'd seen in my travels (NC, VA, MD, NJ, PA, WV).

djsinco

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 08, 2012, 06:36:53 PM
It's been awhile since I've been to Atlanta, but when I'm there I always stop at the Varsity.

If I go straight down I-95 to Florida nowadays I stop in Florence for lunch and gas. That's getting close to the car's range limit as it is–furthest I've ever made it in this car is 455 miles and I like to stop when I have a selection of gas stations lest I get stuck with no premium gas. Going north to Montreal I always stop at the same Sunoco just off the Northway near Albany for the same reason. (I forget the exit number but would know if I looked at a map).

When I was a kid we usually stopped at the Town and Country Diner in Bordentown, NJ, en route to or from Brooklyn (we'd take I-295 to US-130 to the diner, then connect to I-195 to the Turnpike; reverse that going south.....at the time my father didnt know how easy it is/was to get to Exit 7 on the Turnpike from Bordentown).
Yes, the Town and Country, on the east side of 130. What a great place to eat that used to be. It has been many years, but always was a great stop!
3 million miles and counting

OCGuy81

I'm becoming a huge fan of the many craft breweries that are popping up all over, and always try to make a stop at a new brewpub a priority when traveling.

Some recent stops/great beers I've happened upon in recent travels.

Bend, OR - Bought a house up there in the past year, and am in love with Deschutes and especially one called Ten Barrel Brewing.

Ashland, OR - Standing Stone Brewing Co.

Chico, CA - Sierra Nevada Brewery and Taproom

San Francisco - 21st Amendment Brewing

Closer to home, old Orange Brewing in Orange, CA is really awesome.

This summer, we're going to make a trek to Seattle to explore the San Juan Islands and take a ferry to Victoria, BC.  If anybody knows a good brew stop in Washington state, I'm all ears!

PS - Don't drink (too much) and drive, kids.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on December 12, 2012, 02:42:08 PM
When we used to make our annual trip to Savannah, TN (my father's hometown) for the family reunion, we always make the same two stops. The first one was the Shell gas station in Greenwood, IN. We considered Indianapolis to be the first milestone in our 580-mile journey, so we chose a stop south of the city and stuck to it.

The second stop is the Shell in Bowling Green, KY. That's our break for gas and food, and the last stop before we hit our destination.

When I drove out on my own, I used a very gas-friendly vehicle, so I'd go to Bowling Green from Gary in one shot. Going home, I'd go to Greenwood from Savannah in one shot.

As someone who travels between Louisville and Indy a lot, I can tell you that gas is Seymour is generally 20+ cents cheaper than in Greenwood.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Kacie Jane

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 12, 2013, 09:59:28 AM
This summer, we're going to make a trek to Seattle to explore the San Juan Islands and take a ferry to Victoria, BC.  If anybody knows a good brew stop in Washington state, I'm all ears!

Well, I see you've discovered what the state of Oregon has to offer (no mention of Ninkasi???), and you'll find Washington to be much the same.  Unfortunately, my knowledge is mainly north of Seattle, so I'll be of little help to you if you're stopping your trek at the ferry terminal.  I know there's at least one or two good ones in Olympia, but I'm blanking on the names.  In Seattle, Pyramid (in Sodo by the stadiums) would definitely be worth it, Hale's not so much.

If you do plan on trekking further north (and for ones that are a bit micro-er)...

• Diamond Knot in Mukilteo or Camano Island -- especially if you're an IPA fan, their Industrial is amazing
  • Rockfish Grill/Anacortes Brewery -- the food is nearly as good as the beer
  • The entire city of Bellingham.  Boundary Bay is the oldest, most famous, and probably still the best -- although in danger of being passed by Kulshan -- but there's at least four, and you can't go wrong with any of them (although I've heard horror stories re: the service at Chuckanut's restaurant).  Unfortunately, if you come during the summer, you'll miss out on Boundary's Cabin Fever, their winter ale.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Kacie Jane on March 12, 2013, 02:31:36 PMBoundary Bay is the oldest, most famous, and probably still the best

for sure.  I once drove to Seattle just to pick up a few cases of their Scotch Ale.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hm insulators

I'm becoming a huge fan of the many craft breweries that are popping up all over, and always try to make a stop at a new brewpub a priority when traveling.

Truvelo likes that one! He was over visiting Arizona from England and we were together in Globe and he had a couple of bottles of that one. The Chico, Calif. caught my eye because my brother lives not far from there.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

agentsteel53

Quote from: hm insulators on March 12, 2013, 04:19:19 PM

Truvelo likes that one! He was over visiting Arizona from England and we were together in Globe and he had a couple of bottles of that one. The Chico, Calif. caught my eye because my brother lives not far from there.

here I thought Sierra Nevada was generally well-known.  maybe it's just southwest distribution?  I drink their Torpedo IPA pretty regularly.

I as well seek out microbreweries while on the road.  I think the most out-of-the-way one I sampled was a place in Puerto Natales, Chile, who made a damn good American-style red ale.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Kacie Jane

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 12, 2013, 04:31:54 PMhere I thought Sierra Nevada was generally well-known.  maybe it's just southwest distribution?  I drink their Torpedo IPA pretty regularly.

Definitely big in the northwest as well.  According to Wikipedia,, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is the second best-selling microbrew in the U.S.  (Sam Adams Boston Lager is first.)  So they can't be that small.

wphiii

Sierra Nevada is very easy to find throughout the the U.S.

Wish the same could be said for Anderson Valley...

OCGuy81

Quote(no mention of Ninkasi???)

Ninkasi is pretty good as well, but I still maintain that my favorite in Oregon, so far, is 10 Barrel.  To be fair, I feel I've barely scratched the surface of Oregon brewpubs.

Thanks for all the suggestions on the Washington breweries, I look forward to trying some, and getting a growler or two.

Just found another one that I plan to visit in the near future.  I have a cousin graduating from Linfield (McMinnville, OR) in May, and looked up one there called Golden Valley Brewing that is getting great reviews on its pale ale.  Should be fun.

Cheers!

djsinco

perhaps this should be shunted and moved to off-topic, as I love beer, but not here to talk about it.

A.J. Bertin

Generally when I travel I don't have too many "regular" places I like to stop. I'm one of those people who likes to mix things up a bit and stop at different places when I'm taking the same trip again and again. However, I do have a couple of Michigan examples that come to mind:

1. When I was in my early teens and my parents took me from our Detroit-area home to Interlochen, Michigan (near Traverse City) for arts camp in the summer, we always stopped at one of the fast-food joints right off U.S. 10 in Clare. Plus, we always would stop at the Welcome Center along U.S. 127.

2. Over the last few years I've had several opportunities to drive to northern Michigan from Grand Rapids for some mini-vacations. It seems like I always end up stopping at the Gaylord exit off I-75 for food. In fact, just a few months ago when my significant other and I were heading up to Sault Ste. Marie for (and heading back home from) our New Year's trip, we stopped at Gaylord both times - for lunch on the way up and then again for lunch on the way back. Different restaurants of course.

There have been so many times over the past 10 years that I've driven across the Lower Peninsula on I-96 and have stopped in places like Portland, Lansing, Fowlerville, and other cities, but I usually like to pick different restaurants.
-A.J. from Michigan

djsinco

Even though it was a few miles off my I-70 route, I seldom missed a chance to eat at Russell's Restaurant in Salina, KS (I-135/Crawford exit.) I haven't been there in several years, but everything used to be extraordinary. The prices were good, and they had a full blown bakery attached to it. Worth the trip, although, it may not be what it once was, as so many places have declined...

apeman33

Quote from: djsinco on March 15, 2013, 03:00:05 AM
Even though it was a few miles off my I-70 route, I seldom missed a chance to eat at Russell's Restaurant in Salina, KS (I-135/Crawford exit.) I haven't been there in several years, but everything used to be extraordinary. The prices were good, and they had a full blown bakery attached to it. Worth the trip, although, it may not be what it once was, as so many places have declined...

I remember that place, too, but I haven't been there in several years. My "must-do" stop in Salina is the Cozy Inn.

djsinco

Quote from: apeman33 on March 17, 2013, 01:23:47 AM
Quote from: djsinco on March 15, 2013, 03:00:05 AM

I remember that place, too, but I haven't been there in several years. My "must-do" stop in Salina is the Cozy Inn.
I will have to remember that one, thanks!

sdmichael

I always stop at Schat's Bakkery in Bishop, California on US 395 when I go through there. Mmm.... Cheese Bread!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.