News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Google Street View at Night

Started by roadman65, June 23, 2013, 06:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I stumbled across this caption on GSV that has the Google car obtaining information at night along the Berkshire Thruway in NYS. 

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Selkirk,+NY&hl=en&ll=42.508761,-73.77118&spn=0.006754,0.013797&sll=27.698638,-83.804601&sspn=8.300816,14.128418&oq=selk&t=h&hnear=Selkirk,+Albany,+New+York&z=16&layer=c&cbll=42.508761,-73.77118&panoid=HSj1QKEJDCSk878Bg7vnNg&cbp=12,304.52,,0,0

Are there any other places that Google captioned places at night like this?  So far this is the first I encountered, but I would imagine that Google would not try it here by itself, or would it?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

You think this was deliberate?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

amh424

Part of the Chicago Skyway was shot at night.

CNGL-Leudimin

I remember some footage in Key Largo FL shot at night.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

I've seen nighttime shots in various locations.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: roadman65 on June 23, 2013, 06:41:47 PMcaption

Quotecaptioned

...sure the word you're looking for isn't "capture[d]"?
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Michael

I can recall two locations here in NY that were captured at night.  Both locations have been replaced by daytime HD imagery.

• One direction of NY 17 (westbound if I remember right) between Elmira and Horseheads
  • The Thruway near the eastern I-490 interchange south of Rochester (I can't remember if it was one or both directions)
Also, NY 417 between the US 15 Gang Mills interchange and NY 415 in Painted Post was captured in the rain.

jasonsk287

I've seen this. What is the point of doing it at night? Nobody can see anything...

vdeane

So Google can claim the area is covered and put off doing it properly, I assume.  But who knows.  Google has made many idiotic decisions regarding maps - it's as if they're intentionally decreasing the quality of their product!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ChoralScholar

I saw on Facebook today that the Google Car was in my town today.  I hope they didn't take a picture of my unmowed yard with my son's bike laying in the middle of it.  lol
"Turn down... on the blue road...."

silverback1065

There's a few places in Indiana where this was the case, I believe it has been removed though, I've also seen some sunset view.  Personally the night shots are annoying, since all you can see is the blackness of the night sky and some random street/car lights.  You would think that Google wouldn't permit their drivers to do this.

Scott5114

I doubt these are intentional. Probably someone was just on the way home/back to the office to drop the car off after a long day of photography, was ready to get off, and forgot to turn the camera off. And then they just never got caught by QA before they went up on the site. Mistakes happen.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Mr. Matté

Lytton

The Ephel street view cameras definitely do better night shots than Google's earlier ones.
Fuck GPS. I rather use my brain and common sense.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.