News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Will the paper trail ever go away?

Started by SSOWorld, September 28, 2014, 11:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Medical stuff is complicated by the fact that the electronic records products can't talk to each other, negating the point of using them in the first place.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on October 04, 2014, 03:48:34 PM
The bank might have a point depending on what they need scanned.  Emails are sent in plain text with no encryption; anyone with the ability to sniff the traffic can read them.  That's how the NSA does it.  Perhaps someone should tell the bank about password-protected zip files.

Are faxes any more secure?

Scott5114

I would think faxes are less secure. With a fax you have a paper print out that can be accessed by whoever happens to be walking by the fax machine when it prints off. With an email, it goes directly to one person.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brandon

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 08, 2014, 04:41:39 PM
I would think faxes are less secure. With a fax you have a paper print out that can be accessed by whoever happens to be walking by the fax machine when it prints off. With an email, it goes directly to one person.

Depends.  Did you remember not to click "reply all"?   :spin:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Duke87

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 08, 2014, 04:41:39 PM

On the other hand, faxes operate via telephone networks rather than via internet networks. This means that to digitally sniff a fax you need a physical wiretap, you can't just hack into it. So as long as the receiving fax machine is in a physically secure location, yes, faxes are absolutely more secure than email.

But it is possible to encrypt emails, which if done properly makes them for all intents and purposes just as secure.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.