News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

State Capitals with no interstate serving it.

Started by robbones, October 13, 2014, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbones

I noticed that Jefferson City, Missouri has no interstates nearby. Are there any others in the lower 48?

Brandon

Quote from: robbones on October 13, 2014, 08:40:45 PM
I noticed that Jefferson City, Missouri has no interstates nearby. Are there any others in the lower 48?

I think we've had a topic on this before, but...

Pierre, SD
Dover, DE
Annapolis, MD*
Carson City, NV+

*Has secret I-595, and considering how you count it, I-97.
+Will be connected by I-580 in the future.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

oscar

Quote from: Brandon on October 13, 2014, 08:45:53 PM
Carson City, NV+

+Will be connected by I-580 in the future.

Is connected now.  The I-580 extension opened in 2012.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Zeffy

If you want to be real technical, Trenton NJ does not have any Interstates within the city limits, however, both Hamilton Township and Ewing Township which are considered suburbs of Trenton have Interstates that, in a way, "serve" Trenton. I-195 is probably the best example, because the western terminus of NJ 29 goes directly into Trenton itself.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

hotdogPi

And Juneau, Alaska, but that's because there are no roads at all leading out of Juneau due to being in the middle of a national park.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

oscar

Quote from: 1 on October 13, 2014, 10:08:08 PM
And Juneau, Alaska, but that's because there are no roads at all leading out of Juneau due to being in the middle of a national park.

The OP carefully limited this to the "lower 48".

But Juneau isn't in the middle of a national park.  Just the middle of nowhere.

english si

How hard would it be for AK to apply for I-A5 from Juneau northwards to the new ferry terminal?

oscar

Quote from: english si on October 14, 2014, 05:52:28 AM
How hard would it be for AK to apply for I-A5 from Juneau northwards to the new ferry terminal?

Assuming the Glacier Highway extension gets built at all -- the Federal courts seem to really have it in for that project -- the highway will still be mostly two-lane, with abundant at-grade intersections and not one grade-separated interchange.  So it would not even come close to meeting conventional Interstate standards, which would be needed to get FHWA approval to sign it as an Interstate.

Besides, there is no longer any financial advantage to having the highway designated (even if unsigned) as an Interstate rather than just as part of AK 7.  When Alaska's four paper Interstates were designated ca. 1980, Interstates got 90% Federal funding, higher than even the ridiculously high Federal share for Alaska's non-Interstate highways.  That is no more.

english si

Quote from: oscar on October 14, 2014, 06:30:02 AMAssuming the Glacier Highway extension gets built at all -- the Federal courts seem to really have it in for that project -- the highway will still be mostly two-lane, with abundant at-grade intersections and not one grade-separated interchange.  So it would not even come close to meeting conventional Interstate standards, which would be needed to get FHWA approval to sign it as an Interstate.
Who talked about signing it? Plus Alaska interstates don't seem to need standards. :P
QuoteBesides, there is no longer any financial advantage to having the highway designated (even if unsigned) as an Interstate rather than just as part of AK 7.  When Alaska's four paper Interstates were designated ca. 1980, Interstates got 90% Federal funding, higher than even the ridiculously high Federal share for Alaska's non-Interstate highways.  That is no more.
Oh, indeed, it would be a totally pointless designation!

Zzonkmiles

To make this a bit more interesting then, I just realized that the only two states in the Lower 48 that are not served by an interstate ending in 0 or 5 are North Dakota and Vermont.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.