News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Putnam County Routes

Started by dgolub, July 20, 2015, 05:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgolub

I took the train up to Brewster today and found an interesting county route oddity.  According to NYSDOT, Peaceable Hill Road is Putnam CR 53 outside the Village of Brewster, and the county route designation ends at the village line.  Yet, I found a CR 53 shield on US 6 pointing down Peaceable Hill Road, as well as a CR 53 reassurance shield at the beginning of Peaceable Hill Road, both in the Village of Brewster.  Does anyone know what's up with this?  Is NYSDOT just wrong, or does Putnam County have roads that are designated county routes but not maintained by the county?

Rothman

What source are you using at NYSDOT? 
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

dgolub

Quote from: Rothman on July 20, 2015, 07:51:29 PM

The Local Highway Inventory (LHI).

NE2

Sounds like it's signed like it should be. It does nobody any good to stop signing the route at the village limits.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Rothman

Quote from: dgolub on July 20, 2015, 09:10:17 PM

Egads.

It is very much my personal opinion that, in general, the LHI is a mess. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

dgolub

Quote from: NE2 on July 20, 2015, 09:20:31 PM
Sounds like it's signed like it should be. It does nobody any good to stop signing the route at the village limits.

I'm totally with you there, but a lot of counties tend to do just that.

dgolub

Quote from: Rothman on July 20, 2015, 09:55:56 PM

It's much less of a mess than the SLD from New Jersey.  I'm thinking a FOIL request to Putnam County is probably in order to get their official listing and see what it says.

vdeane

Egads.

I've worked with that thing before.

It IS a mess.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on July 21, 2015, 12:49:21 PM

Egads.

It IS a mess.

That's what happens when you give an army of data entry people differing instructions over time.

Dougtone

During my travels, I find that a lot of county routes in New York State end at a village line. In those cases, I find that the signage also ends at the village line.

In the case of Putnam CR 53, I'm speculating that it may be the case where the route is signed at US 6 for continuity purposes.

empirestate

I think Doug's probably right. I wonder what my website has to say about it? Maybe I used an official county map as a source.

iPhone

Dougtone

Quote from: empirestate on July 21, 2015, 01:28:31 PM
I think Doug's probably right. I wonder what my website has to say about it? Maybe I used an official county map as a source.

iPhone
I still use your website as a source when I sort through my county road photos of NY. In the field when I'm trying to clinch the county routes of New York, I use my Jimapco atlases, which I find to be accurate most of the time for New York, but they are riddled with errors for Maine.

SCH-I545

vdeane

Quote from: Rothman on July 21, 2015, 01:23:00 PM

Egads.

It IS a mess.

That's what happens when you give an army of data entry people differing instructions over time.
And different databases that accept different input... and municipalities that don't understand/don't agree with the instructions (which not even Main Office can be flexible on due to FHWA requirements)... or try to use the LHI to win arguments... or who never get it because a previous highway superintendent refuses to forward the mail... etc.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

empirestate

Quote from: Dougtone on July 21, 2015, 02:03:22 PM
Quote from: empirestate on July 21, 2015, 01:28:31 PM

iPhone
I still use your website as a source when I sort through my county road photos of NY. In the field when I'm trying to clinch the county routes of New York, I use my Jimapco atlases, which I find to be accurate most of the time for New York, but they are riddled with errors for Maine.

SCH-I545

Well, having checked my website on this question, I'm not any less confused. :confused:

iPhone

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on July 21, 2015, 05:46:15 PM
Quote from: Rothman on July 21, 2015, 01:23:00 PM

Egads.

It IS a mess.

And different databases that accept different input... and municipalities that don't understand/don't agree with the instructions (which not even Main Office can be flexible on due to FHWA requirements)... or try to use the LHI to win arguments... or who never get it because a previous highway superintendent refuses to forward the mail... etc.

Amen, sister.

cl94

Yeah, don't trust the LHI. From what I can tell, it tends to be relatively accurate when concerning jurisdiction (at least in R5), but don't rely on it. Heck, in some counties, "jurisdition" isn't even consistent. In a couple towns in Erie County, the county might "maintain" the road, but signage and signals are often installed by the town, so while it's still "county-maintained", it doesn't look much different from any other highway in the town if you don't know what idiosyncrasies to look for.

If the LHI is your only source of info (as it is in my neck of the woods), you're stuck with it, but try and find other sources for CRs. New York CRs almost always end at city boundaries, but do often extend into villages. Honestly, this might seem really stupid, but your best guess is often from the pavement, striping, and signage. While local municipalities in some states follow state signage standards, New York is not one of those and city/town/village signage is often inferior to county signage.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

KEVIN_224

@ DOUGTONE: Which Jimapco map of Maine? Online or print? I only have a print map of theirs from 2009 or 2010, It shows all of the municipal boundaries for the cities, towns and organized townships. I've lived in Maine twice and don't ever remember seeing signed county routes.

Dougtone

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on July 22, 2015, 09:18:24 PM
@ DOUGTONE: Which Jimapco map of Maine? Online or print? I only have a print map of theirs from 2009 or 2010, It shows all of the municipal boundaries for the cities, towns and organized townships. I've lived in Maine twice and don't ever remember seeing signed county routes.
I use the New England road atlas, 1st edition.

dgolub

OK, they just responded to my FOIL request with a printout from the LHI, so I'll assume it's correct for Putnam County and that it's just a village road signed as a county route.

Rothman

Quote from: dgolub on July 28, 2015, 07:08:32 PM
OK, they just responded to my FOIL request with a printout from the LHI, so I'll assume it's correct for Putnam County and that it's just a village road signed as a county route.

You know what they say about assumptions...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.