News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

And the bicycle lobby wonders

Started by roadman, July 17, 2015, 01:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on July 22, 2015, 09:06:50 AM
Bicyclists think they can go straight through a red light even through opposing traffic. That's what's dangerous, not missing the yellow by 1/10 of a second.

Not all of them.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

QuoteRunning a red light less than 1 second after it stops being yellow does not count as running a red light for purposes of this thread.

Running a red is still running a red, whether it's by 1/10th of a second or by 10 seconds.

My earlier point is that cars are by far more dangerous.  If a car hits a bike or ped, it's far more likely to cause damage, injury, and death than if the bicycle is the one doing the hitting.  As for Rothman's recent comment about bikes hitting peds, it goes both ways.  Bikes often don't give enough space while passing but at the same time there are just as many peds who unpredictably turn or have headphones on and are oblivious to their surroundings.  Furthermore, while it's not unheard of, a bike hitting a ped is far less likely to cause serious injury or death than a vehicle hitting either...

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Rothman on July 22, 2015, 09:10:56 AM
Quote from: 1 on July 22, 2015, 09:06:50 AM
Bicyclists think they can go straight through a red light even through opposing traffic. That's what's dangerous, not missing the yellow by 1/10 of a second.

Not all of them.

This is at the heart of the fatal flaw of the thread–cyclists do not share a brain, do not act collectively, and do not for the most part take part in any kind of lobby.  People who describe cyclists in blanket terms as if what I say is not true sound like Donald Trump talking about... anything.

sipes23

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 22, 2015, 10:04:30 AM
This is at the heart of the fatal flaw of the thread–cyclists do not share a brain, do not act collectively, and do not for the most part take part in any kind of lobby.  People who describe cyclists in blanket terms as if what I say is not true sound like Donald Trump talking about... anything.

I don't know. The Critical Mass cyclists in Chicago might share a brain.  :)

I joke. Mostly.

http://chicagocriticalmass.org/

Brandon

Quote from: sipes23 on July 22, 2015, 12:16:27 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 22, 2015, 10:04:30 AM

I don't know. The Critical Mass cyclists in Chicago might share a brain.  :)

I joke. Mostly.

http://chicagocriticalmass.org/

Those guys are jerks, IMHO.  Some of them actively advocate running red signals and stop signs.

The problem isn't so much that there are bicycles and cars, but that safety is compromised for all when people (using either) start doing unpredictable things (such as running red lights).  Road safety for all users is predicated on the predictability of said road users.  One should be able to predict that when the cross street has a red signal or stop sign, that all road users will wait at said red light until it turns green, or at said stop sign until traffic is clear.

That said, I had a most wonderful (in a good way) encounter with bicyclists today.  A group of them in Aurora, IL, were waiting to cross Orchard Rd (which had the green) at Galena Blvd.  However, a small crowd had decided to wait on the corner on the right side of the right turn lane instead of proceeding to the island.  Thus, I stopped as I was turning right to let them go to the island.  As far as I am concerned, if you turn across the main stream of traffic, you must wait for that stream of traffic to clear (exact same principal for turning left with oncoming traffic).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NoGoodNamesAvailable

I try to avoid threads like this. They tend to stir up a shit storm on this forum. There are bad cyclists. There are bad cycling lobby groups. But for the most part cyclists follow the rules. There are bad drivers. But most drivers are good. Blanket statements are rarely true. Of course cyclists who run red lights are stupid - who's arguing with you? That doesn't give you the right to off cyclists as a whole.

iPad

Pete from Boston

hobsini2

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on August 06, 2015, 12:12:28 AM
I try to avoid threads like this. They tend to stir up a shit storm on this forum. There are bad cyclists. There are bad cycling lobby groups. But for the most part cyclists follow the rules. There are bad drivers. But most drivers are good. Blanket statements are rarely true. Of course cyclists who run red lights are stupid - who's arguing with you? That doesn't give you the right to off cyclists as a whole.

iPad
Are you sure? I would like to off the ones who can't tell the difference between a green and red light in Chicago but I digress. On Dearborn St in the Loop, there are cyclist stoplights. Do you know how many times a day I see a cyclist ignore the light that is specific to them? At least a half dozen times a day on that street alone. That's too much. It has gotten to the point that the cyclists in this city are almost as bad as the cab drivers.

I have no issue with giving cyclists a bike lane on the road. I think they area good idea. But I do take exception to the entitled asshole who thinks the rules of the road don't apply to them too.

BTW, Chicago just added 400 cyclist cops this week AND they will be giving tickets to the cyclists who do blow the lights and stop signs.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Rothman

Quote from: hobsini2 on August 06, 2015, 10:03:14 AM
BTW, Chicago just added 400 cyclist cops this week AND they will be giving tickets to the cyclists who do blow the lights and stop signs.

Something tells me that misbehaving cyclists are in better shape than the cops.  How do you stop a cyclist when they can outrun you and how many resources should you dedicate to do so before it becomes absurdly too costly?  It's not like bicycles have license plates.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

empirestate

Quote from: Rothman on August 06, 2015, 10:08:44 AM

Something tells me that misbehaving cyclists are in better shape than the cops.  How do you stop a cyclist when they can outrun you and how many resources should you dedicate to do so before it becomes absurdly too costly?  It's not like bicycles have license plates.

Actually, in NYC they sort of do.

iPhone

Rothman

Quote from: empirestate on August 06, 2015, 10:17:22 AM

iPhone
Quote from: empirestate on August 06, 2015, 10:17:22 AM

iPhone

Huh.  I didn't know that.  Just skimming things it looks like commercial business bikes have to be marked with their business, but is there any requirement for recreational cyclists?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hobsini2

Oh I would venture to guess that there are plenty of cops who are also cyclists.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Pete from Boston

He was probably moving a lot faster than anyone else on that road.  Should've worn a sign that said "If you were biking you'd be a mile ahead by now, and in better shape."

Regardless, as stupid as this guy was, I hope the Glob starts devoting as much ink to our collective numbness to egregious driving behavior as it does to that of bicyclists.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: hobsini2 on August 06, 2015, 11:31:56 AM

Oh I would venture to guess that there are plenty of cops who are also cyclists.

Cyclists here get ticketed.  Usually in some kind of sting operation, and usually in Cambridge, but it happens.  Red light violations and failure to yield to peds seem to be the big targets. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman on August 06, 2015, 10:58:22 AM
And the absurdity continues:  http://www.boston.com/news/2015/08/05/man-rides-bicycle-interstate-during-boston-rush-hour/TNPBbcfVZ920usQAjGqTBJ/story.html?p1=feature_sec_hp

Wonder what they've been putting in the local water.

I can understand why motorists were getting out of the way.  They probably wouldn't want to be driving near a heroin-drugged hippie riding a bicycle on an interstate.  And then getting questioned by the police and their insurance company how they managed to hit the guy.

empirestate

iPhone
[/quote]

Huh.  I didn't know that.  Just skimming things it looks like commercial business bikes have to be marked with their business, but is there any requirement for recreational cyclists?
[/quote]

Not at the moment, but commercial bikes make up a very large percentage of the total traffic, at least in Manhattan where I typically encounter problems.

iPhone

jeffandnicole

Bruce

Some inexcusable behavior from a professional BMXer who breaks tons of traffic laws in NYC (skip to 2:18 for lane-splitting while going the wrong way on a one-way street):

I'm pro-cycling, but this guy is just an asshole that deserves to lose any kind of endorsements he's earned. Also needs to spend some jail time. Full article at the Gothamist.
Wikipedia - TravelMapping (100% of WA SRs)

Photos

SidS1045

Quote from: Kacie Jane on July 17, 2015, 08:30:36 PM
Quote from: roadman on July 17, 2015, 06:00:58 PMHowever, I do not have much respect for lobbyist groups who demand special infrastructure for cyclists without then agreeing that those same cyclists be legally required to use said infrastructure - i.e. bike lanes.

In Massachusetts, if a vehicle turning right is in a collision with a cyclist, the fact that the cyclist was attempting to pass the vehicle on the right cannot be used as a defense by the driver.  However, if I try passing a right turning vehicle on the right in my car, I am presumed to be at least partially fault if I collide with that vehicle.

You can't have it both ways.  In the first sentence, you want to require bicyclists to ride in their own lane (typically located to the right of vehicles) rather than allowing them to ride with vehicles.  In the second, you try to blame them for an accident when they're exactly where you've forced them to be.

You missed the point.  Just because the cyclist is "where you've forced them to be" doesn't give them a free pass on paying attention to the traffic around them.  If a car is making a right turn in front of them, it doesn't do the cyclist any good at all to be "right" or "legal."  In this case, "right" might equal "dead."

The law cited by roadman is another in a long line of laws passed by The Great and General Court of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts written by legislators who haven't a clue.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

NE2

If right equals dead, motorist equals murderer.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on October 08, 2015, 04:00:16 PM
If right equals dead, motorist equals murderer.

Unfortunately, you can't do much more once you're dead.  I got taught early that you may be in the right (and this includes while driving), but it's better not to be literally dead right.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

It's also better to kill than drive safely. Or so I learned.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.