Regional signing practices that are unusual compared to everyplace else

Started by roadman65, September 27, 2014, 08:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

I-66's westbound control point should be either "I-81" or "Anywhere else besides Sodom-on-the-Potomac."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: hbelkins on October 12, 2015, 01:14:06 PM
I-66's westbound control point should be either "I-81" or "Anywhere else besides Sodom-on-the-Potomac."

"Appalachia" and "Points South and West"

cappicard

Quote from: TXtoNJ on October 12, 2015, 01:36:42 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 12, 2015, 01:14:06 PM

"Appalachia" and "Points South and West"
Not much different than Kansas being the control "city" for southbound I-635 from MO-9, and from I-29.

iPhone

cappicard

Heh, I  think K-156's control cities from I-70 ought to be The Middle of Nowhere, instead of Great Bend and Dodge City.

For me, Dodge City IS the middle of nowhere! 

iPhone

roadman65

Saratoga Springs in the Capital Region for I-87 while the rest of the NYSDOT chooses Montreal for I-87 N Bound (including the NYTA for exit signage on the NY Thruway at Exit 24) is one.

In Florida in both Districts 2 & 5 they mostly use "Jacksonville" for NB I-95 however in Brevard County some interchanges shuffle in "Daytona Beach" or even "Titusville" or "Cocoa" at the FL 407 interchange near the Kennedy Space Center.  Then go to FDOT D4 and it becomes "Daytona Beach" between West Palm Beach and the FDOT D5 border near Sebastian, FL for N Bound I-95, and either "West Palm Beach" instead of Miami south of the Indian River County Line where Miami completely disappears to West Palm Beach itself. 

In essence FDOT D5 is a region as D2 and D4 cover more miles along I-95 then D4.

Then in Lake City area, FDOT D2 strays from "Tampa" and "Valdosta" on I-75 ramps for more local destinations such as "Alachua" and "White Springs" on the US 41 & 441 ramp signs at I-75 (Exit 414).  Then where US 441 meets I-10 north of Lake City, for some reason "Live Oak" is the control city for I-10 W Bound over the state capital "Tallahassee" as that is the control city west of Lake City for I-10 W Bound in the norm.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on October 12, 2015, 09:51:00 AM
And if you really want to be specific, look at I-90. Buffalo and Erie are both control cities, yet it enters neither.

What's fun about that is that I-90 WB essentially has welcome to Buffalo signage despite never entering the city.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on October 13, 2015, 08:22:52 AM
Quote from: cl94 on October 12, 2015, 09:51:00 AM
And if you really want to be specific, look at I-90. Buffalo and Erie are both control cities, yet it enters neither.

What's fun about that is that I-90 WB essentially has welcome to Buffalo signage despite never entering the city.

What's better is that the welcome signs are on the edge of the suburbs. If you didn't know the area, the WB sign 2-3 miles east of Exit 49 appears to be in the middle of nowhere.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

noelbotevera

Quote from: roadman65 on October 13, 2015, 01:04:53 AM
Saratoga Springs in the Capital Region for I-87 while the rest of the NYSDOT chooses Montreal for I-87 N Bound (including the NYTA for exit signage on the NY Thruway at Exit 24) is one.

In Florida in both Districts 2 & 5 they mostly use "Jacksonville" for NB I-95 however in Brevard County some interchanges shuffle in "Daytona Beach" or even "Titusville" or "Cocoa" at the FL 407 interchange near the Kennedy Space Center.  Then go to FDOT D4 and it becomes "Daytona Beach" between West Palm Beach and the FDOT D5 border near Sebastian, FL for N Bound I-95, and either "West Palm Beach" instead of Miami south of the Indian River County Line where Miami completely disappears to West Palm Beach itself. 

In essence FDOT D5 is a region as D2 and D4 cover more miles along I-95 then D4.

Then in Lake City area, FDOT D2 strays from "Tampa" and "Valdosta" on I-75 ramps for more local destinations such as "Alachua" and "White Springs" on the US 41 & 441 ramp signs at I-75 (Exit 414).  Then where US 441 meets I-10 north of Lake City, for some reason "Live Oak" is the control city for I-10 W Bound over the state capital "Tallahassee" as that is the control city west of Lake City for I-10 W Bound in the norm.
I-95 could easily have either Fort Lauderdale or Miami as its main control city. Not sure why I-75 gets Valdosta instead of Atlanta.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

roadman

Quote from: NE2 on December 22, 2014, 08:46:45 PM
Quote from: cl94 on December 22, 2014, 08:13:07 PM
-NYSDOT roads have reference markers providing location information every 1/10. Vermont has a nearly-identical system, but I know of no other states with a system as precise.
Doesn't Mass give mileage to the nearest thousandth?
That was only on a special set of milemarkers that were posted on bridges for maintenance purposes.  The system was never intended for viewing by normal road users.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Sam

Quote from: roadman65 on October 13, 2015, 01:04:53 AM

Also Buffalo and Victor on I-490 in NY, which seem oddly paired, as opposed to Le Roy and Victor (the endpoints) or Buffalo and Syracuse.

vdeane

LeRoy does appear on mileage signs.  I suspect that Buffalo and Victor are used because that's where people are going.  Victor is a developed suburb in its own right and a major endpoint for commuters.  LeRoy, on the other hand, is a small village in the middle of nowhere (most commuter traffic stops in Chili), and most people on that stretch of I-490 are probably heading to Buffalo.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.