News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Duarte's metric experiment

Started by djsekani, July 30, 2016, 02:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djsekani

https://goo.gl/maps/2t247ouMBty

Sign on Huntington Drive showing a metric speed limit of 64 KM/H. There aren't any other ones, and I've always wondered why this one was here.

7/8

Quote from: djsekani on July 30, 2016, 02:12:30 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/2t247ouMBty

Sign on Huntington Drive showing a metric speed limit of 64 KM/H. There aren't any other ones, and I've always wondered why this one was here.

I love how precise the conversion is. :-D

compdude787

That's interesting. I doubt there's very many metric speed limit signs in the US at all.

coatimundi

You see converted signs a lot near the borders, and on roads that are often used by foreign tourists. Though neither seems to be the case here. Maybe Duarte is trying to make a statement.

Max Rockatansky

At least they had the decency to put the 40 MPH up there as well.....couldn't bump that up to 65 KPH?  :rolleyes:  It probably is some sort of statement...for whatever reason, strange that it's on a section of old 66 of all things.

djsekani

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 30, 2016, 11:09:06 PM
for whatever reason, strange that it's on a section of old 66 of all things.

Yeah, I was wondering if that had anything to do with it.

Exit58

I didn't think 66 would be that big of an attraction for foreign visitors, but if there is one road in the US it would be 66.

Also, djsekani, I like the use of the SR 259 shield as your avatar. I remember when those two wild shields popped up on the freeway out of no where.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Exit58 on August 01, 2016, 11:55:04 PM
I didn't think 66 would be that big of an attraction for foreign visitors, but if there is one road in the US it would be 66.

Also, djsekani, I like the use of the SR 259 shield as your avatar. I remember when those two wild shields popped up on the freeway out of no where.

Check out how many Asian tourists make their way up 66 in Arizona on the way to the Grand Canyon.  I'd say that it's one of the few pieces of Americana that most people in general associate with this country almost world wide.

english si

I nearly broke down laughing, when walking past and seeing that the penultimate building on '66 before reaching the Ocean is a pseudo-English pub. What a sense of Americana... ;)

Of course foreign tourists do US66, though I'd imagine they wouldn't typically join it until out of the LA Basin (if heading that way). And a bi-unit sign is just going to confuse them, so I have no clue what Duarte was thinking putting that there. If it was at the border, or outside a major airport then maybe it's justified.

djsekani

I wanted to pick an obscure highway close to where I lived, this one fit the bill. Although if I can find a CA 206 shield that the forum will accept as my avatar, I'll switch it to that instead.

TheStranger

I'd love to see photos of the real life 259 signs!
Chris Sampang

formulanone

From September 2011:

I didn't see any others in the immediate area nor along old Route 66.

Exit58

Quote from: TheStranger on August 03, 2016, 01:07:12 AM

I'd love to see photos of the real life 259 signs!

Here you go!

doorknob60

There was a sign on the south end of Brookswood Blvd in Bend with a SPEED 45, with a second sign that looked like an advisory speed sign (but white), that said 45 KM/h on it. No idea why it was there (nothing else like it in the area), but it's gone now, and Google Street View's image is too new...

Desert Man

Interstate 19 from Nogales, AZ/Sonora, Mexico to Tucson, AZ has their exit numbers solely in metric (in kilometers not miles), which is helpful for Mexican truckers (and pretty much, international tourists) to go by. Would CalTrans allow this on any stretch of CA road, state highway or interstate freeway? I doubt that much. I thought the western states would have bilingual road signs by now (en espanol por favor), but many have international symbols without need of written words you find in Europe and other multilingual parts of the world.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Desert Man on August 06, 2016, 06:27:05 AM
Interstate 19 from Nogales, AZ/Sonora, Mexico to Tucson, AZ has their exit numbers solely in metric (in kilometers not miles), which is helpful for Mexican truckers (and pretty much, international tourists) to go by. Would CalTrans allow this on any stretch of CA road, state highway or interstate freeway? I doubt that much. I thought the western states would have bilingual road signs by now (en espanol por favor), but many have international symbols without need of written words you find in Europe and other multilingual parts of the world.

When I-19 was being built there was a push to convert the U.S. to the metric system that ultimately didn't happen...hence why I-19 is signed as such.

kkt

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 06, 2016, 08:46:45 AM
When I-19 was being built there was a push to convert the U.S. to the metric system that ultimately didn't happen has not yet happened...hence why I-19 is signed as such.

Fixed that for you  :D

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on August 06, 2016, 12:28:37 PM
When I-19 was being built there was a push to convert the U.S. to the metric system that ultimately didn't happen has not yet happened...hence why I-19 is signed as such.

Fixed that for you  :D

I'm convinced it's never going to at this point.  :-D

roadfro

When I-19 was being built there was a push to convert the U.S. to the metric system that ultimately didn't happen...hence why I-19 is signed as such.

And that conversion ultimately won't happen either...or at least not under current mindsets.

For example, the text of the 2003 MUTCD was written such that metric lengths and dimensions were primary and English conversions in parentheses. [e.g.: "A 600 x 600 mm (24 x 24 in) minimum sign size shall be used for Interstate route numbers with one or two digits, and a 750 x 600 mm (30 x 24 in) minimum sign size shall be used for Interstate route numbers having three digits."] This version also contained the metric speed limit signs. In contrast, the 2009 MUTCD was rewritten to remove metric lengths entirely. [e.g.: "A 24 x 24-inch minimum sign size shall be used for Interstate route numbers with one or two digits, and a 30 x 24-inch minimum sign size shall be used for Interstate route numbers having three digits."] 2009 also saw removal of the metric speed limit signs.

More analogous to this quote above: From other discussion topics on the AARoads board, ADOT has been looking to replace the I-19 signage with mileage-based units for some time now. Opposition from local businesses (who would have to change any exit numbers they advertise) is the main reason it hasn't happened yet.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

coatimundi

Quote from: roadfro on August 06, 2016, 03:03:42 PM
More analogous to this quote above: From other discussion topics on the AARoads board, ADOT has been looking to replace the I-19 signage with mileage-based units for some time now. Opposition from local businesses (who would have to change any exit numbers they advertise) is the main reason it hasn't happened yet.

I remember the local news talking about this years ago when I lived in Tucson. There was also the libertarian (and lord knows there are a lot of libertarians in AZ) argument about the cost of unnecessary sign replacement. I mean, there's no real reason to change it except for the sake of being anal about that kind of inconsistent stuff, which even only drives those who are enough so to just complain about it and not actually do anything.
There is a ton of traffic from Mexico on this road though. Mostly coming up from Sonora to stop at the malls (Tucson Mall may as well be El Mall de Nogales on the weekends) and that Walmart on Valencia. So it makes sense to have the distance and speed limit signs in KM. The milemarkers (or kilomarkers, if you will) are just a sensible byproduct of the other stuff.

Bickendan

Speaking of random metric speed limits... I saw one on US 14 east of Miller, South Dakota two days ago. 55 mph/88 kmh. Of all the random places...

coatimundi

Quote from: Bickendan on August 09, 2016, 11:41:56 AM
Speaking of random metric speed limits... I saw one on US 14 east of Miller, South Dakota two days ago. 55 mph/88 kmh. Of all the random places...

A bored yokel bureaucrat? I mean, that's probably the first time Miller, SD has ever been mentioned on the internet. Google the town now, and this thread will now probably be in the top results.

kphoger

I-19 has km-posts rather than mileposts, and distances are given in metric rather than customary units.  However, speed limits are still in mph.  But I question the usefulness of that to Mexican truckers.  Considering that the Cross-border Trucking Program remains in a constant state of political death (despite NAFTA requirements...end rant), the number of Mexican trucks on American highways is far less than it could be.  Besides which, how many of those few Mexican trucks are going anywhere except Tucson or beyond?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: coatimundi on August 09, 2016, 05:29:46 PM
Quote from: Bickendan on August 09, 2016, 11:41:56 AM

A bored yokel bureaucrat? I mean, that's probably the first time Miller, SD has ever been mentioned on the internet. Google the town now, and this thread will now probably be in the top results.

Someone must like it because the Wikipedia page includes a 1892 map and a reference to some TV show it was on in 2002:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller,_South_Dakota

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.