Roads whose pavement is bare bedrock

Started by bandit957, December 07, 2019, 09:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

One time years ago (I don't even remember when or where), it seems like I was on a road whose pavement was actually the bare bedrock (with no soil). I think this road had edge lines painted right on the bedrock. It was a minor road, and it was very short. Because it was just bedrock, it wasn't a very smooth road.

Anyone else know of any roads like this?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Brian556

Quote from: bandit957 on December 07, 2019, 09:44:39 PM
One time years ago (I don't even remember when or where), it seems like I was on a road whose pavement was actually the bare bedrock (with no soil). I think this road had edge lines painted right on the bedrock. It was a minor road, and it was very short. Because it was just bedrock, it wasn't a very smooth road.

Anyone else know of any roads like this?

was Fred Flinstone driving on the bedrock road?

Kniwt

It is, apparently, a thing now, though (although it doesn't look like bedrock in the pic):

https://bedrockroads.com

QuoteBedrock Roads - If roads could be built on solid rock they would certainly last much longer.

Roads made with a base of sand and gravel over the years have been an OK solution for many years. Unfortunately, many counties now have hundreds of miles of FAILING asphalt roads and not nearly enough funds to keep up. Civil engineers and leaders had no solution. This changed years ago with introduction of the lithification process, which turns soil, sand, silt, and clay into SOLID ROCK. With this disruptive technology, failing asphalt and gravel roads are turned into high quality, longer-lasting roads using the existing road materials and soil. This technology is a game-changer as there is now almost no need to haul any existing road material away.

vdeane

Interesting... I was picturing something more along the lines of what happened to this sidewalk (which must have been VERY expensive to upgrade to ADA standards!).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

When my mother was a kid, parts of what are now KY 777 and KY 122 were just the creek beds.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JoePCool14

Hmmm...

I honestly would prefer something like this to using Bedrock:  :)

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

vdeane

For a minute there I thought you were posting images of Borg Cubes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

csw

Quote from: Kniwt on December 07, 2019, 09:57:09 PM
It is, apparently, a thing now, though (although it doesn't look like bedrock in the pic):

https://bedrockroads.com

QuoteBedrock Roads - If roads could be built on solid rock they would certainly last much longer.

Roads made with a base of sand and gravel over the years have been an OK solution for many years. Unfortunately, many counties now have hundreds of miles of FAILING asphalt roads and not nearly enough funds to keep up. Civil engineers and leaders had no solution. This changed years ago with introduction of the lithification process, which turns soil, sand, silt, and clay into SOLID ROCK. With this disruptive technology, failing asphalt and gravel roads are turned into high quality, longer-lasting roads using the existing road materials and soil. This technology is a game-changer as there is now almost no need to haul any existing road material away.

This website (and technology) is a sham.

• No details, actual photos, or data about the product. All the video clips are just regular road building (chip seals, lime admixtures).
  • NEITHER of the companies the "principal" claims to have worked for previously exist (based on a quick Google search).
  • Most importantly, the idea that you can create a stone-like material with conventional equipment and materials, and in (allegedly) 20% of the time it takes to normally pave a road, is insane.
  • And the cherry on top: their logo uses Comic Sans.
The website as a whole reads like someone trying to sell me essential oils and homeopathic remedies. No proof, just big adjectives and claims.

I think I'll send this to my pavement design professor from undergrad for a laugh.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.