News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How many active teenage roadgeeks do we have on here?

Started by CoreySamson, June 03, 2020, 10:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

Been on City-Data since November 2016, I'm banned there since then. Joined here in June 2019.

I'm still around, I'm not as active because I've been watching the news more and playing more video games.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on June 08, 2020, 08:28:16 AM
Look up Dana Carvey's angry old man character from SNL. Occasionally popped up during Weekend Update. "Progress? Fligitty-FLOO!"

October 2000. I think me and my brother started with AOL Version 3.0. Had an old Packard Bell desktop computer. The local access number was dialed from either Southington or closer to Hartford. I was 29 years old.

Just imagine people trying to do the remote social distancing nonsense if it were 1990! :-o

I remember my Compaq 8088 with the little 4" monitor and the separate 4 color monitor and my external 2400 baud dial-up modem.  Used to call a BBS down in Darien with it.  I got my first intranet Quickmail account in high school, but you could only access it from the computer labs on campus.  I did get email in college, but it was a school sponsored email, and when I was home from school, the only way I could access it was to use my dial up to call Philadelphia.  It was a little easier when I transferred to a school closer to home, but I got my first personal (MSN) account somewhere around 1998, and upgraded to DSL from dialup in 2000 and got an SBC email account (it's still active somehow, and I use one of the addresses as one of my Yahoo Fantasy profile sign-ins).

I remember there was another younger teenager from CT that used to be on here, but he hasn't been on in a while.   
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 14, 2020, 07:27:31 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on June 08, 2020, 08:28:16 AM
Look up Dana Carvey's angry old man character from SNL. Occasionally popped up during Weekend Update. "Progress? Fligitty-FLOO!"

October 2000. I think me and my brother started with AOL Version 3.0. Had an old Packard Bell desktop computer. The local access number was dialed from either Southington or closer to Hartford. I was 29 years old.

Just imagine people trying to do the remote social distancing nonsense if it were 1990! :-o

I remember my Compaq 8088 with the little 4" monitor and the separate 4 color monitor and my external 2400 baud dial-up modem.  Used to call a BBS down in Darien with it.  I got my first intranet Quickmail account in high school, but you could only access it from the computer labs on campus.  I did get email in college, but it was a school sponsored email, and when I was home from school, the only way I could access it was to use my dial up to call Philadelphia.  It was a little easier when I transferred to a school closer to home, but I got my first personal (MSN) account somewhere around 1998, and upgraded to DSL from dialup in 2000 and got an SBC email account (it's still active somehow, and I use one of the addresses as one of my Yahoo Fantasy profile sign-ins).

I remember there was another younger teenager from CT that used to be on here, but he hasn't been on in a while.   
Don't remember username, but he was from near Williamantic and he was a "roadgeek from the middle of nowhere"
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Roadrunner75

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 14, 2020, 07:27:31 PM
I used to dial in to BBBs on a Commodore 64 with a 1200 baud modem back in the day (I think I might have had a 300 baud one before that, but can't recall).  My first PC was a Packard Bell 486 I think, sometime in the early 90s, around when I went off to college.  Same here with the dialup getting into Rutgers to access email at the time, but I lucked out because RU has a Camden campus near where i grew up that was a local call to log in - "Local" calls being something the teenage roadgeeks of this thread probably have never had to deal with!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.