News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

State Named Interstate Shields on BGS's

Started by rickmastfan67, May 16, 2010, 05:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

So, how many states (have) posted state named Interstate shields on BGS?  I've seen a few here in the Pittsburgh area.

Here's one for I-279 that is still standing as of 05/11/10.
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=40.449147,-79.999676&spn=0,0.003484&z=19&layer=c&cbll=40.449124,-79.999801&panoid=LDKj474o7Hu60vZrsQB5UA&cbp=12,66.87,,1,-13.03

agentsteel53

I think just about every state has done it - at least occasionally by mistake, or as a matter of convenience (nailing an independent-mount shield to a green sign).

a quick search through the shield gallery reveals examples for every state except:

Alaska (good luck with that!), Delaware, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia.

a lot of those states (Delaware, Tennessee, Louisiana) dropped the state name very early on, so it may just be that we don't have old enough photos.  I'm surprised about Missouri and West Virginia since they are very good at putting the state name, and similarly with Kentucky since they only recently stopped.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Maine still does it a lot. New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts (I think) did. There are a few Philly BGSs that have state named I- shields in them.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 16, 2010, 05:33:14 AM
I think just about every state has done it - at least occasionally by mistake, or as a matter of convenience (nailing an independent-mount shield to a green sign).

a quick search through the shield gallery reveals examples for every state except:

Alaska (good luck with that!), Delaware, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia.

a lot of those states (Delaware, Tennessee, Louisiana) dropped the state name very early on, so it may just be that we don't have old enough photos.  I'm surprised about Missouri and West Virginia since they are very good at putting the state name, and similarly with Kentucky since they only recently stopped.

Actually there were a couple of state-named shields for Interstate 95 posted in Wilmington:

The shields were replaced by 2000, and the signs replaced completely by 2008.

The only state-named shields on guide signs you will find in Illinois are those posted for Illinois Tollways. Found one recently for I-290 on the Northwest Tollway east of its split with I-39.

agentsteel53

Quote from: AARoads on May 16, 2010, 12:24:16 PM
Actually there were a couple of state-named shields for Interstate 95 posted in Wilmington:

excellent!  Figured it was just a lack of evidence.  Scratch one state off the list.  Anyone wanna tackle Tennessee?

jake@aaroads.com

Mr_Northside

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=40.449681,-80.026468&panoid=kaGNyJJDFkQTtJM6K8iqFQ&cbp=12,120.02,,0,-11.45&ll=40.449633,-80.026377&spn=0,0.006866&z=18

Both of the I-shields on this sign had them.
However, in the last month or two this sign was replaced with shields that don't.  The new sign is also only half as tall because they didn't keep the "End PA-65" portion.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Brandon

Some states that usually don't post new state named interstate shields have a toll authority that sometimes does post them, or a county or a municipality that posts them.  Illinois is such a state.  IDOT never posts a new state named interstate shield, but ISTHA does from time to time, as do a few of the municipalities and counties the tollway runs through.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jdb1234

I got a photo somewhere that has a state-named Interstate shield on a BGS in Alabama.

roadfro

Can't say that I've ever seen a state-named Interstate shield on a BGS in Nevada.  Doesn't mean they don't exist...I just can't recall ever seeing one.

However, some interchange sequence signs along I-15 in Las Vegas have I-215 shields with the word "LOOP" in place of where the state name would be.  Much of the early I-215 signage (both freestanding and on BGSs) around the I-15 and McCarran Airport interchanges erroneously used "Loop" in place of "Nevada" on otherwise standard interstate shields.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

agentsteel53

Quote from: roadfro on May 17, 2010, 09:27:34 PM
Can't say that I've ever seen a state-named Interstate shield on a BGS in Nevada.  Doesn't mean they don't exist...I just can't recall ever seeing one.

I know of one on an old US-40 alignment.  I believe it is in Battle Mountain.

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Quote from: jdb1234 on May 17, 2010, 02:08:50 PM
I got a photo somewhere that has a state-named Interstate shield on a BGS in Alabama.

Some times the gore point signs for Interstate to Interstate connections in Alabama feature state-named shields:

http://www.southeastroads.com/alabama065/i-065_sb_exit_000_05.jpg
http://www.southeastroads.com/alabama020/i-020_eb_i-059_nb_exit_071b_51.jpg

jdb1234

Or they could be like this:

On another note, CR 17 East should be CR 17 North.  That error has been here since the interchange was rebuilt in 2006.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US71

OKC: the "Underwood's Deviled Ham" shields   :-D

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

agentsteel53

Quote from: US71 on May 18, 2010, 09:17:55 AM

those are triangle shields, and here in CA they are the bane of our existence.  They are a standard 42x36 shield compressed to 36x36, thus destroying all the correct arcs... a horrific error; now that I have made contact with Safeway Signs (the CA state contractor) I will see what I can do about getting this malevolence off the books.

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

That will not stop them from occasionally appearing in Oklahoma, which will make any sort of sign error possible, and some that aren't.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

myosh_tino

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 18, 2010, 10:32:15 AM
Quote from: US71 on May 18, 2010, 09:17:55 AM

those are triangle shields, and here in CA they are the bane of our existence.  They are a standard 42x36 shield compressed to 36x36, thus destroying all the correct arcs... a horrific error; now that I have made contact with Safeway Signs (the CA state contractor) I will see what I can do about getting this malevolence off the books.
Are they (Safeway Signs) still making the angular interstate shields?  I drove to Los Angeles and back last weekend and while I still see some angular shields (a few of them were neutered... ugh!) I saw a number of newer 1958-spec shields along I-5.  Hopefully those hideous angular shields are gone for good.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

agentsteel53

Quote from: myosh_tino on May 19, 2010, 01:41:35 PM
Are they (Safeway Signs) still making the angular interstate shields?  I drove to Los Angeles and back last weekend and while I still see some angular shields (a few of them were neutered... ugh!) I saw a number of newer 1958-spec shields along I-5.  Hopefully those hideous angular shields are gone for good.

I will have to ask - can't overwhelm them with too many questions.  Though, luckily, they are a corporation and not a government bureaucracy, so me threatening to buy something is usually incentive enough.

jake@aaroads.com

shadyjay

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 16, 2010, 05:10:41 AMSo, how many states (have) posted state named Interstate shields on BGS?

I've seen a couple in Vermont (very old and most being replaced this year), a couple on Rt 15 (Charter Oak Bridge) in Hartford/East Hartford CT, and some on I-9 in New London CT.  Recently, however (in the past 1-2 years), the faded jumbo 1980s-era BGSs on I-84 and I-384 east of Hartford have been replaced with shields with the state name.  A similar event has occured on button copy signage on I-84 and I-91 in the Hartford area, where the button copy shields have been replaced with traditional shields with the state name - like those that would be "reassurance shields" elsewhere.

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.