News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Mn/DOT considering diverging diamond?

Started by Coelacanth, November 30, 2010, 04:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coelacanth

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/hwy100slp/pdfs/concepts.pdf

Note this is a fairly large pdf file.

Option D appears to be a diverging diamond at TH 100 and Hennepin CSAH 5 (Minnetonka Blvd).

Unfortunately I can't make their open house next week.

RoadWarrior56

The DDI concept is spreading all over the country.  There are three DDI's under development in the Atlanta area, one on I-285 and two on I-85.  I-285 @ Ashford-Dunwoody Road is currently scheduled to start construction next summer and be completed by the end of October.  I-85 @ Jimmy Carter and I-85 @ Pleasant Hill Road will follow.

TheHighwayMan3561

Whatever they do, I can't wait for them to get rid of the suicide loops from MN 7 onto MN 100. My heart beats a little faster every time I have to go down one of those ramps.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

froggie

To be fair, with the temporary 3rd-lane project from a few years ago, there's only one "suicide loop" left at 7/100.

Coelacanth

Yes, the TH 7 to SB TH 100 is the only true "suicide loop".

However, the ramp from CSAH 5 to NB TH 100 is close. Very tight acceleration lane which ends at an even tighter shoulder.

Both of these are so bad that if I'm on TH 7 (or CSAH 25) and I want to go SB on TH 100, I'll take city streets to CSAH 5. Likewise if I'm on CSAH 5 and I want to go NB on 100, I'll cut over to TH 7. Depending on traffic, of course. If it's 8 am on a Saturday none of these are dangerous.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.