In the days when people were honest & obeyed the law....NOT!!!

Started by thenetwork, July 18, 2011, 06:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Found this article in the Youngstown Vindicator from 1969 http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=1gFJAAAAIBAJ&sjid=84IMAAAAIBAJ&dq=freeway%20youngstown%20opens&pg=1153%2C5461382  which discusses a soon-to-be-open stretch of I-80S (Now I-80) and SR-11 from 1969.   

Odd that the government(s) and responsible construction companies were lax in keeping illegal drivers off the unopened road.  Even still more odd that the opening was delayed for so long due to signage & gantry issues.

Nice thing about the article is that it contains some pictures of first generation signs from the I-80 interchange with SR-46.  :sombrero:

This brings up a few musings:

1) On the top right photo, on the sign bridge in the background, I see the left sign had 3 shields:  I want to say one is for I-80 East, and one for SR-11 North.  What would the 3rd shield be? 

2) Also in the same photo, on the same sign, It also looks like the control city for I-80 East at the time was Sharon, PA instead of the now-famous New York City-and-snub-the-two-states-in-between control city.  I'm wondering when they officially made the change to NYC? 

Anyhoo, enjoy the find!!!

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

My uncle used to bike on I-490 before it was opened to cars.

I found the article below to be ironic.  Who needs a law when the TSA can accomplish the same effect?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.