Rumble Strips - does your state still use them?

Started by nwi_navigator_1181, June 10, 2012, 01:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 10, 2012, 12:42:11 PM
Illinois used to use them as well for the Toll Plazas but no longer do. The only place the still exist as far as I recall is on I-190 before 2 sweeping curves coming into O'Hare and 1 curve leaving O'Hare.

Not much point to them on the tollways anymore with 85% of users having an I-Pass or EZ-Pass.

Now, IDOT does use them before rural four way stop signs such as along IL-47 south of Dwight.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

nwi_navigator_1181

The Chicago Skyway (barely) uses them; the eastbound lanes hit three sets of three small strips right before the toll bridge. There is no such warning in the westbound lanes.

The Edens portion of U.S. 41 northbound uses them to warn traffic that the freeway is ending with an awaiting traffic signal.

Also, when I-65 had an at-grade intersection with traffic entering from the Toll Road, they used rumble strips to mark the end of I-65 northbound and the impending signal. They were removed for good when work to rehabilitate that portion of the highway began in 2000, just three years before they changed the intersection to an interchange.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 11, 2012, 08:14:31 AM
I believe Alabama still uses them. About 15 years ago they used raised reflectors to mimic what the raised rumble strips do now.

http://goo.gl/maps/4zaa
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.