News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Was the road hobby better before or after the internet?

Started by bugo, June 20, 2012, 03:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Was the road hobby better before or after the internet?

Before the intenet
3 (5.7%)
After the internet
50 (94.3%)

Total Members Voted: 53

bugo

One thing I miss about the old days is being genuinely surprised about something and waiting for the next year's atlas to show it.  I was driving on I-44 in western MO in 1995.  I was planning on exiting onto US 166.  When I approached the sign, I could see it had 2 shields on it.  WTF?  Then I got close enough to read the numbers.  US 400? WTF?  I followed it to Baxter Springs where it then followed ALT US 69 north.  I had no idea this highway existed, where it went, what it was for.  And it nagged me until I found a map with US 400 printed on it.  Nowdays, if a new US route were commissioned we would know about it before the signs even went up.

pianocello

Definitely after, although I don't have many memories of roadgeeking before the Internet. I have many reasons, mostly mentioned earlier, but with the Internet I can get older maps from pretty much anywhere on eBay.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.