State routes of SAME NUMBER intersecting

Started by Alps, March 03, 2013, 03:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 04, 2013, 04:49:15 PM
There has been discussion elsewhere about VDOT's practice of assigning one route number to an assortment of state-maintained roads and streets on several of its college and university campuses (which obviously intersect each other), including these:

Va. 302 - University of Virginia
Va. 303 - VMI
Va. 314 - Virginia Tech

See the excellent Virginia Highways Project for more.  Especially on this page.

Arkansas does the same thing.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on March 03, 2013, 03:55:00 PM
There can only possibly be a handful of these around the country. What I just discovered: The western terminus of WV 7 is mere feet from OH 7. For all intents and purposes, they intersect, despite being different roads. So, yeah, where else does this possibly happen?

is WV-7 is signed past the WV-2 junction?  it is shown on the map as a multiplex, but is there any field signage of the sort?

Norway route 820 loops around to intersect itself.

Maine state highway 102 does the same thing on Mount Desert Island, but there isn't as elaborate of a sign.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

texaskdog

How about a thread of state roads that don't intersect, like Loop 275 in Austin, and all these roads with "gaps"

agentsteel53

Quote from: texaskdog on March 05, 2013, 01:53:30 PM
How about a thread of state roads that don't intersect, like Loop 275 in Austin, and all these roads with "gaps"

Penna Turnpike and I-95 don't intersect, unless you're Evel Knievel.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

OK 66 was once a loop off of US 66 in Wellston.  OK 66/77 once existed north of OKC.  OK 270 almost meets US 270 north of Shawnee.  US 59 comes within a couple of miles from the paralleling AR 59 in Siloam Springs.  AR 102 used to intersect itself in Centerton until a few years ago.

Alps

Not one number crossing state lines, not a state route intersecting a US route, not even a state route that loops back on itself. Only two distinct state highways at (or within feet of) a border.

kphoger

So.....  Does Nuevo León state highway 1 count?  It is the highway from Nuevo Laredo to Anáhuac (and further south to Monterrey), yet it is also the highway from Colombia to a point between the two.  Here is their intersection.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alps

Quote from: kphoger on March 05, 2013, 08:17:49 PM
So.....  Does Nuevo León state highway 1 count?  It is the highway from Nuevo Laredo to Anáhuac (and further south to Monterrey), yet it is also the highway from Colombia to a point between the two.  Here is their intersection.
Based on what I've seen in Mexico, every route has the same number...

cpzilliacus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 05, 2013, 01:37:49 PM
Penna Turnpike and I-95 don't intersect, unless you're Evel Knievel.

Though the PTC and PennDOT are ever-so-s-l-o-w-l-y remediating that (PTC project Web site here).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: Steve on March 06, 2013, 12:18:14 AM

It's shown that way on pretty much every map of the area I've seen.  And I know for a fact the short end of the T is signed as NL-1 at Colombia, and that the long one is signed as NL-1 at Monterrey.  The only segment I have doubts about is this one, since the only photo of it I can find shows an erroneous sign for federal highway 2.  On the SCT list, it's referred to as NL-001-TAM, whereas the other two segments are referred to simply as NL-001.  Incidentally, the SCT list refers to the same highway on the Tamaulipas side of the state line as NL-001-TAM as well, rather than TAM-001 or TAM-001-NL as one might expect.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

texaskdog

Quote from: Steve on March 06, 2013, 12:18:14 AM

And as we learned about Canada from South Park they have only one road "follow the only road"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.