News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

State routes of SAME NUMBER intersecting

Started by Alps, March 03, 2013, 03:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

There can only possibly be a handful of these around the country. What I just discovered: The western terminus of WV 7 is mere feet from OH 7. For all intents and purposes, they intersect, despite being different roads. So, yeah, where else does this possibly happen?

corco

There's the US-95 in California/Arizona 95 mess and the US-89 in Idaho/Wyoming 89 mess, but in terms of just state highways I can't think of anything.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on March 03, 2013, 03:55:00 PM
There can only possibly be a handful of these around the country. What I just discovered: The western terminus of WV 7 is mere feet from OH 7. For all intents and purposes, they intersect, despite being different roads. So, yeah, where else does this possibly happen?

I-295 and D.C. 295 in Southeast Washington would seem to qualify, though neither are state routes (since D.C. is not a state and I-295 is not a state route either).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

CentralCAroadgeek

Not exactly the same number, but OR-39 intersects with CA-161 and CA-139 at the CA/OR border.

KEVIN_224

Are we counting the route number staying the same at the state line, such as CT Route 8 becoming MA 8 and eventually VT Route 8?

jp the roadgeek

Just about every state numbered route in New England that crosses a state boundary and retains state maintenance.  Also reciprocal in most cases with NY as well, the only exceptions being VT 9/ NY 7, and those roads that become NY county routes.  If you mean two unrelated roads with the same number (almost ) intersecting, then NH 113 and ME 113 intersect US 302 about 3 miles apart in Conway, NH and Fryeburg, ME.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

kurumi

Connecticut Route 145 had a three-way intersection (i.e. with itself) for a few decades starting in 1932. I'd love to see how that was signed.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

corco

Washington 100 has a three way intersection with itself- it's unsigned.

NE2

I seem to remember a T intersection on the state line of two same-numbered routes. Can't think of where, however.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

It's probably rare enough where two same-numbered, yet different classifications of roads intersect.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

AsphaltPlanet

Hwy 548 intersects itself at a T intersection on St. Joseph's Island east of Sault Ste. Marie.

http://goo.gl/maps/rFgbF
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Duke87

QC 132 does a big loop around the Gaspesie and then ends at itself near Mont-Joli.

But that's the same route, not two routes with the same number.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

bugo

OK 63A has 3 ends,  OK 77S has 4.  That means the routes intersect themselves.

cpzilliacus

There are plenty of state highways that retain their state number in the next state. 

I can name several of those.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 03, 2013, 09:42:09 PM
There are plenty of state highways that retain their state number in the next state. 

I can name several of those.

I assumed those didn't count for this thread because the OP referred to situations involving "different roads."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

deathtopumpkins

They don't quite intersect, nor are they both state routes, but NH 4 in Dover is only a few miles from US 4 in Durham.

I've never understood why NH numbered this road route 4. Sure, it does connect to Maine's route 4, but it's hardly a direct through route, especially considering the ME 236 multiplex right across the border and the fact that it begins, barely signed, on a side street in Dover.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Scott5114

Quote from: Stalin on March 03, 2013, 09:32:22 PM
OK 63A has 3 ends,  OK 77S has 4.  That means the routes intersect themselves.

OK 77D has 3 ends as well.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on March 03, 2013, 05:28:11 PM
Just about every state numbered route in New England that crosses a state boundary and retains state maintenance.  Also reciprocal in most cases with NY as well, the only exceptions being VT 9/ NY 7, and those roads that become NY county routes.  If you mean two unrelated roads with the same number (almost ) intersecting, then NH 113 and ME 113 intersect US 302 about 3 miles apart in Conway, NH and Fryeburg, ME.
If you include the ferries:
-NY 373 becomes a city street in Burlington, VT
-NY 314 ends at a T intersection with VT 314
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

IL-172 used to be a 'T' shaped route with a leg to Prophetstown.  I was cut back to an 'L' sometime in the 1970s.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

DandyDan

I vaguely recall that when Interstate 88 was new in Illinois, it intersected Illinois Route 88 in Rock Falls.  This was before they renamed it Illinois Route 40.  Did they simultaneously exist?  I seem to recall seeing an IL 88 sign while on I-88.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

SteveG1988

What about NJ440-NY440-NJ440, would that count, using two seperate bridges to link staten island to NJ.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

cpzilliacus

There has been discussion elsewhere about VDOT's practice of assigning one route number to an assortment of state-maintained roads and streets on several of its college and university campuses (which obviously intersect each other), including these:

Va. 302 - University of Virginia
Va. 303 - VMI
Va. 314 - Virginia Tech

See the excellent Virginia Highways Project for more.  Especially on this page.

Big John

Quote from: DandyDan on March 04, 2013, 04:19:44 PM
I vaguely recall that when Interstate 88 was new in Illinois, it intersected Illinois Route 88 in Rock Falls.  This was before they renamed it Illinois Route 40.  Did they simultaneously exist?  I seem to recall seeing an IL 88 sign while on I-88.
Yes, they simultaneously existed when I-88(west) was designated in the late 1980s until IL88 was changed to IL40 in the early 1990s

Mapmikey

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 04, 2013, 04:49:15 PM
There has been discussion elsewhere about VDOT's practice of assigning one route number to an assortment of state-maintained roads and streets on several of its college and university campuses (which obviously intersect each other), including these:

Va. 302 - University of Virginia
Va. 303 - VMI
Va. 314 - Virginia Tech

See the excellent Virginia Highways Project for more.  Especially on this page.

While it is true Virginia has plenty of these, most are not posted well enough to qualify...

Right off the top of my head, the only ones I know are posted in all directions at some intersections are VA 319, VA 358, and VA 376.

From 1933 to 1966, Virginia had a regular state highway that looped onto itself.  I don't know how it was posted, but here is a mapscan showing it.  Even weirder is that in 1966, VA 169 was extended north and the loop remained in the primary system.  I have not found a county map that shows what the loop became numbered as (169Y?):

Mapmikey
Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
www.vahighways.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.