News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Lebanon, New Hampshire Road Meet - September 21, 2013

Started by Dougtone, August 03, 2013, 09:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Please count me as a "definite".

I haven't nailed down my routing up or back, though it probably will include some unnecessary mileage in New England since I don't get up there much.

If Tom-Tom will indulge the road meet tradition of handing out paper maps as goodies, I'll have several spare Manitoba maps (not nearly as cool as the Saskatchewan maps I was giving out last year), and some from the Dakotas and other upper Midwestern states. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hotdogPi

Shouldn't be that much of a problem: Just go north when you see I-91.
Then to I-89 east. Get off at the next exit on I-89.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

jpi

Speaking of mpas, I will try to get some barrel maps for everyone, especailly since we do not have a whole lot of locations in that part of the country :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

oscar

Quote from: 1 on September 11, 2013, 03:28:24 PM
Shouldn't be that much of a problem: Just go north when you see I-91.
Then to I-89 east. Get off at the next exit on I-89.

That's too easy.  The "unnecessary mileage" part of my last post above means my route will almost certainly be indirect and include a fair amount of shunpiking. 

Mapmikey

Quote from: oscar on September 11, 2013, 04:50:41 PM

That's too easy.  The "unnecessary mileage" part of my last post above means my route will almost certainly be indirect and include a fair amount of shunpiking. 

looks like you could finish US 4 and US 7...

I can tell you from having just driven US 4 six weeks ago that it is a pretty decent ride through most of your missing portions except for the few miles either side of Lebanon.

I also see you need US 202 in most areas south of NH.  I can tell you that US 202 from US 206 to Hartford is painfully slow in most parts (don't know about Hartford to Keene).

Mapmikey

oscar

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 11, 2013, 08:36:21 PM
Quote from: oscar on September 11, 2013, 04:50:41 PM

looks like you could finish US 4 and US 7...

I can tell you from having just driven US 4 six weeks ago that it is a pretty decent ride through most of your missing portions except for the few miles either side of Lebanon.

I also see you need US 202 in most areas south of NH.  I can tell you that US 202 from US 206 to Hartford is painfully slow in most parts (don't know about Hartford to Keene).

Mapmikey

Finishing off US 4 and US 7 is very much what I had in mind, though that would mean heading north almost all the way to the Canadian border (don't need to cross the border).  US 202, less so.  More likely I'll work on snagging more of US 1 along the coast south of Boston, on the way home. 

Mapmikey

Didn't catch you were missing US 7 above Burlington...

Took me 5 hrs to drive US 1 through Connecticut on a Saturday several years ago...hardly anywhere was the speed limit over 35

vdeane

Quote from: adamjackson on September 11, 2013, 09:27:30 AM
The drive from here to Albany is a lot of fun but you're often on single lane areas where a large RV can keep you pretty frustrated. It's a shame there's no interstates that cross NY, VT, NH and ME. It would make things a lot easier up here.
Do the RVs cause significant delays?  Google says it will take 4h 21m from Rome via VT 11 and VT 103 between US 7 and I-91.  Is leaving at 7:20/7:30 early enough?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 11, 2013, 09:01:51 PM
Didn't catch you were missing US 7 above Burlington...

Took me 5 hrs to drive US 1 through Connecticut on a Saturday several years ago...hardly anywhere was the speed limit over 35
US 1 east of roughly East Haven is not bad in the off-season. The farther east you go, the easier the drive. But yeah, it's taken 3 hours to get from Greenwich to New Haven without traffic backups.

froggie

QuoteDo the RVs cause significant delays?  Google says it will take 4h 21m from Rome via VT 11 and VT 103 between US 7 and I-91.  Is leaving at 7:20/7:30 early enough?

Unless you need to clinch it, you don't need to take VT 103 (aside from the duplex on VT 11 in Chester).  To be safe, figure on about an hour on VT 11 between US 7/Manchester and I-91/Springfield, though you'll probably make it in less time.  I'd also suggest making a stop at Taylor Farms just west of Londonderry if they're open.  Awesome gouda (which might be why it usually takes me an hour).

Compulov

I got the go-head from my fiancee, so the both of us will be attending.

adamjackson

Quote from: froggie on September 11, 2013, 12:20:34 PM
QuoteInterestingly enough, no signs of leaves changing yet.  This time last year we had a few trees spotting nicely up in Greensboro VT.

Coincidentally where I'll be living once the Navy spits me out.  And strange you didn't see any...my other half says there are definitely trees starting to turn.

QuoteGreensboro is about 30 or so minutes south of Canadian border, fairly high elevation so I've always enjoyed going up there to buy beer 1st week of September and seeing some trees changing.

Hill Farmstead, by chance?

YEP I hit Hill Farmstead every 2 weeks to get growlers filled. It's a nice drive as well, tons of ways to get there.

I'm a project manager for North America and other regions for TomTom!

Tell us about map changes you observe on Map Share Reporter
http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

vdeane

Quote from: froggie on September 11, 2013, 11:54:59 PM
QuoteDo the RVs cause significant delays?  Google says it will take 4h 21m from Rome via VT 11 and VT 103 between US 7 and I-91.  Is leaving at 7:20/7:30 early enough?

Unless you need to clinch it, you don't need to take VT 103 (aside from the duplex on VT 11 in Chester).  To be safe, figure on about an hour on VT 11 between US 7/Manchester and I-91/Springfield, though you'll probably make it in less time.  I'd also suggest making a stop at Taylor Farms just west of Londonderry if they're open.  Awesome gouda (which might be why it usually takes me an hour).
Google says VT 103 is three minutes shorter than staying on VT 11, probably because VT 11 goes through Springfield.  The hour is the same as what Google says for that section, so I should be able to trust the time.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

QuoteGoogle says VT 103 is three minutes shorter than staying on VT 11, probably because VT 11 goes through Springfield.  The hour is the same as what Google says for that section, so I should be able to trust the time.

Personal experience says that VT 11 is shorter, has a better gas station along it, and there are ways to avoid the 3 traffic signals on 11 in Springfield (though it helps to have a map or GPS).  Turn right at the hospital (Park St), another right on Union St, veer left twice, the 2nd time down a steep hill on Grove St, and that puts you on VT 11 right where the 4 lane starts.  Or, for simplicity, just stay on Park St and hang a right onto 11 at the downtown signal.

Google thinks you can go faster on VT 103 because it's a "higher-class road".  In reality, it has the same speed limit as VT 11.  And is 4 miles longer.  You can be through Springfield in less time than it'd take to traverse that extra 4 miles.

jpi

Question- How is US 7 south from Rutland to Bennington and NY 7 from Bennington to Troy, NY? I am considering this for my drive back (then I-90 to I-88 to I-81 to Harrisburg) as opposed to I-91 south to I-84 west.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

froggie

You can usually make good time on US 7...the only real slow spot is Rutland proper with poor signal timing, but once you're away from Rutland you can make good time.  NY 7 can go either way...only 1 signal between Bennington and Capitol Region suburbia, but if you get stuck behind someone slow, you're basically stuck.  Not a lot of passing zones and usually enough of a platoon behind the slowpoke and enough oncoming traffic to prevent getting around them.  But overall much less potential for traffic delays than along I-84 in Connecticut.

Dr Frankenstein

Yes, U.S. 7 between Rutland and Bennington is fast, except for the downtown areas of Rutland and Bennington. Look for a two-unit signal in Bennington!

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Dougtone

I-88 is not an option between Troy and Bennington.  In my opinion, NY 7 is the best option between Troy and southern Vermont, whether you get stuck behind a slow moving vehicle or not.  Other than that, you have NY 2, NY 67 or county routes, which are either a slow go or are not nearly direct routings (although NY 2 has a very scenic view at the Petersburgh Pass).

Not many dining options between Troy (or really the suburb of Brunswick) and Bennington along NY 7, but there are a couple of my favorites along the way in the Town of Hoosick.  For a quick breakfast stop (also a quick dinner stop on the return trip), I highly recommend the Big Moose Deli (you can't miss the wooden moose sculptures painted like cows).  For a sit down dinner on the return trip on NY 7, I would also highly recommend the Man of Kent (they have great sandwiches).

agentsteel53

oh, I totally forgot where Troy was. 

county routes sound fun.  you never know what you'll find.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

spooky

jpi

Thanks guys for the advise, I think that's the way I am going to go, plan to leave Lebanon, NH around 4 to 4:30 and it looks like a much more direct route to take then what I was originally planning. So far so good weather wise both Friday and Saturday next week :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

froggie

QuoteFor a quick breakfast stop (also a quick dinner stop on the return trip), I highly recommend the Big Moose Deli (you can't miss the wooden moose sculptures painted like cows).

It also happens to be next to the one traffic signal between Bennington and the Troy outskirts.

hbelkins

Quote from: jpi on September 13, 2013, 01:34:37 AM
Question- How is US 7 south from Rutland to Bennington and NY 7 from Bennington to Troy, NY? I am considering this for my drive back (then I-90 to I-88 to I-81 to Harrisburg) as opposed to I-91 south to I-84 west.

I stayed in Rutland for the Bennington meet. Spent two nights there, actually. Did some county-collecting in the Mohawk Valley and the Adirondacks, them made my way over to Rutland via US 4. Did a county-collecting loop in Vermont the next day, with my return trip to Rutland via US 4 from the New Hampshire state line.

After the Bennington meet, I took VT 9/NY 7 to the Albany area, then I-90 and I-88 to I-81 (stayed in the Scranton area that night).

US 7 south from Rutland is a lot like the two-lane Kentucky parkways, except straighter and with fewer grades.

NY 7 put me in mind of any number of roads connecting county seats in my part of the world. I would liken it to the old two-lane portion of US 25E between Clinch Mountain and Cumberland Gap. I experienced the slow traffic and lack of passing opportunities that others have mentioned.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on September 13, 2013, 09:15:17 AM
Yes, U.S. 7 between Rutland and Bennington is fast, except for the downtown areas of Rutland and Bennington. Look for a two-unit signal in Bennington!
Going from US 7 to NY 7, one wouldn't pass through Bennington unless one took an intentional detour.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.