News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

New lane configuration at I-84's west end

Started by luokou, August 06, 2013, 05:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luokou

http://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/index.ssf/2013/08/i-84_changes_causing_some_conf.html

QuoteOver the weekend, the Oregon Department of Transportation closed the freeway's westbound lanes for 30 hours to restripe the Y-junction merge with I-5. The stripes didn't just replace faded old paint; they created a whole new traffic pattern.

When the Banfield reopened for the Monday morning commute, motorists found that the ramp leading to I-5 north had been reduced from two lanes to just one. And confused drivers found themselves making quick, last-second lane changes to avoid heading south or, worse, crashing into the a freeway barrier.

Quote"There's going to be a learning curve, especially when you make a lane adjustment on a major freeway," Hamilton said. "It often takes weeks before there's overwhelming acceptance of this kind of change."

The prior lane layout had existed for decades. Despite months of public outreach by ODOT, many drivers weren't ready for a lane to suddenly disappear.

I was aware of these new lane changes for a while, though it seems that roadgeeks like us would be the only ones who stay informed.  :-D   Looks like the new configuration could use a few "TRAFFIC CONTROL CHANGE" signs, at the very least, about a mile and one half mile before the split. Have the old BGSs approaching the split been changed to reflect the new configuration yet?

Bickendan

xonhulu

I'm wondering why ODOT felt this was necessary.  It's always seemed to me that the old configuration functioned well.  The only potential issue I wonder about is that the original right-most lane quickly became an exit-only for the Rose Qtr and Convention Center, and that might have caused some issues with drivers trying to merge left further up the ramp.  Just my speculation, though. 

For anyone not familiar with the interchange, here's what the signage and configuration originally looked like through here:

I noticed in the video that the signage at the split has changed (my 2nd picture): they removed the sign for the upcoming Rose Qtr exit.

So does anyone know the reason for this change?

agentsteel53

I like the addition of the City Center as an option, as the southbound ramp does have a sub-ramp off of it which goes to the surface.  it's good additional information to have.

that said, I'm not sure if something can be done to better inform people that the two left lanes may be taken to get to I-5 south.

I don't know enough about OMSI's popularity to say whether it's needed as a destination. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

doorknob60

Here's a diagram showing traffic patterns, before and after the change. Seems like a good change to me, as I've been through there plenty of times, and the majority of the traffic is going south, and this makes more sense to me.

agentsteel53

I'm actually kinda surprised that most of the traffic goes south.

but I suppose the thru traffic to the north has taken I-205 ... or even I-82.

jake@aaroads.com

Tarkus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 07, 2013, 07:23:42 PM
I'm actually kinda surprised that most of the traffic goes south.

but I suppose the thru traffic to the north has taken I-205 ... or even I-82.

I suspect a lot of that traffic heading south is headed either toward downtown, or more likely, toward Washington County.  It's quicker to get to the western portion of US-26 via I-5 south than it is to deal with the Rose Quarter and the Fremont Bridge.

agentsteel53

Quote from: sp_redelectric on August 08, 2013, 05:29:29 PM(Oregon's second largest tourist attraction)
(Oregon's largest signal tourist attraction)

I'm not sure how to order these.

also, what is a signal tourist?  our very own Ian?

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Fuck you. I can't figure out what you were trying to say and I bet Mr. Steel can't either.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

"signed tourist attraction"?  there are unsigned tourist attractions?  that seems unintuitive.

ARGH I GIVE UP JUST STAB ME NOW

:ded:

THANK YOU

jake@aaroads.com

Henry

Quote from: doorknob60 on August 07, 2013, 07:15:59 PM

I prefer the pic on the right better. With the stripes in place, motorists have a better idea of which way to go in order to reach their destination; the old center lane split was a recipe for disaster.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NE2

He changed it to 'singlel' [sic]. That doesn't make sense either - is the Zoo part of a larger attraction?

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

okay, that makes more sense.  I guess.

still, though, way to get worked up over the fact that no one can understand you.

jake@aaroads.com

Bickendan

Quote from: NE2 on August 09, 2013, 11:38:11 AM
He changed it to 'singlel' [sic]. That doesn't make sense either - is the Zoo part of a larger attraction?
Technically... yes: Washington Park. But that's splitting hairs; it's like saying the LA Zoo's part of a larger attraction.

Bickendan

Quote from: doorknob60 on August 07, 2013, 07:15:59 PM
Here's a diagram showing traffic patterns, before and after the change. Seems like a good change to me, as I've been through there plenty of times, and the majority of the traffic is going south, and this makes more sense to me.

Interestingly enough, according to the research I did for Clinched Highways while doing the Oregon sets, I-84 swung north via the Rose Quarter exit with US 30 and terminated at I-5 there, instead of following the southbound ramp toward the Marquam and Morrison Bridges. I wonder if that will change with this restriping.

Alps

Fun fact: Traffic theory frowns on lane drops, and says you should always have a lane split on a divergence for proper balance.

NE2

Holy crap, is that a bike lane on the after diagram? :bigass:

sp_redelectric

Quote from: NE2 on August 08, 2013, 10:46:47 PM
Fuck you. I can't figure out what you were trying to say and I bet Mr. Steel can't either.

Wow.  Just wow.  I make a simple, largely insignificant mistake and I get "fuck you".  Apparently this forum is where everyone must be a perfectionist or else the firing squad comes out.

I guess any time anyone makes a simple spelling error, we all go ape shit over each other, or is there a good 'ol boys club and anyone else must be perfect?

To placate everyone I have just deleted the posts altogether, since nobody wants to actually respond to the comments about why OMSI is posted, but other points of interest aren't.  It's much more interesting to trash someone because some people need to vent their anger at an unsuspecting person, rather than be mature adults.  Go enjoy your bashfest, I don't need to deal with this crap.

NE2

Bickendan

That's enough. Refrain from flaming or trolling in here. Likewise, do not go deleting posts even just to 'placate everyone' -- especially after said spelling error had been corrected.

Alps

Quote from: Bickendan on August 10, 2013, 02:58:52 AM
That's enough. Refrain from flaming or trolling in here. Likewise, do not go deleting posts even just to 'placate everyone' -- especially after said spelling error had been corrected.
We are coming up with a policy that says no more pointing out spelling/grammatical errors unless you can't tell what the post is about, in which case you must be polite about it. It's all off topic to roads.

NE2

Presumably you must be polite in correcting your own error when someone else can't figure out what you mean.

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on August 14, 2013, 11:09:26 PM
Presumably you must be polite in correcting your own error when someone else can't figure out what you mean.
You can't say "fuck me" anymore, cause "fuck" is the worst word that you can say. Mmm kay?

OCGuy81

I get up to Portland quite often, and have always wondered about one thing with this split.  Maybe a Portlander can chime in.

If I'm on I-84 WB, and I want to get to US 26 WB, which is quicker?

I-5 NORTH to 405 and over to 26?

I-5 SOUTH to 405 and over to 26?

If they ever continued I-84 west along US 26, I wonder how they'd route it?

NE2

Quote from: OCGuy81 on January 24, 2014, 12:22:46 AM
If I'm on I-84 WB, and I want to get to US 26 WB, which is quicker?
I have no idea. The Goog says south is shorter and faster, but if I were doing it I'd go westbound around the north side and eastbound around the south side to avoid crossing to the other side of I-5 or I-405.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.