News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

You are too old if you remember.......

Started by roadman65, August 17, 2013, 07:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiaman

Before  ths  days  of  cable  and  traslators,  every  metro  area  had  at  least  three  local stations ,one  for each  of  the major networks.  This  is  going  back  to  the  mid 50's.  Generally,  NBC  was  channel 4,  ABC  was channel 7 and  CBS  was  either    channel  5  or  channel 2.   PBS  was  whatever  was  leftover.  And  yes,  they  did  exit  off  the  air  with  some  sort  of  patriotic  song.  No  area  could  have  both  a  channel  3  and  channel  4 .

agentsteel53

Quote from: sandiaman on September 23, 2013, 06:56:41 PMNo  area  could  have  both  a  channel  3  and  channel  4 .

why is that?  too close in frequency?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

thenetwork

...When the prices on vending machines for pop didn't end in a $.25 increment.

...When newspaper prices didn't end in a $.25 increment.

...When the prices of comic books ended in some weird number -- other than .x5, .x9 or .x0.

...When one of the new "futuristic" options of a new house was a whole-house intercom system.

...When A/C, Cruise Control, Intermittent Wipers, and Rear-window defrost, electric windows & electric locks were moreso high-priced options than standard equipment.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Big John

theline

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 23, 2013, 07:22:23 PM
Quote from: sandiaman on September 23, 2013, 06:56:41 PMNo  area  could  have  both  a  channel  3  and  channel  4 .

Exactly. Adjacent channels could bleed over and interfere. The FCC assigned the numbers in each metropolitan area to avoid interference. Some folks in "fringe" areas between cities could still experience problems between, for example, channel 7 in Dayton and 8 in Indianapolis. Using a directional antenna could help alleviate the problem.

The earlier poster was wrong about networks being tied to specific channels in all areas. Though CBS managed to get channel 2 in many major cities, assignments varied. Where I grew up, channel 6 was NBC, 8 was CBS, and 13 was ABC. Smaller markets didn't get VHF (2-13) channels assigned at all, and had to settle for UHF (14-83), which had less range and required more power, IIRC.

bugo

I remember when candy bars were 26¢.  25¢ for the candy bar and 1¢ tax.  This wasn't that long ago, it was the early '80s.

SidS1045

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 23, 2013, 07:22:23 PM

TV channels are 6 MHz wide, but are not all continuous in frequency.

Channel 2:  54-60 MHz
3: 60-66 MHz
4: 66-72 MHz
5: 76-82 MHz (note the gap between 4 and 5)
6: 82-88 MHz
7: 174-180 MHz (note the gap between 6 and 7)
8: 180-186 MHz
13: 210-216 MHz
14: 470-476 MHz (note the gap between 13 and 14)
15: 476-482 MHz
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

PHLBOS

Back to a more road/driving-related item:

When gas prices featured prices other than $X.XX9 per gallon.  A few times in the late 70s/early 80s, I saw prices that actually ended in $X.XX5 (or 1/2 cents).  My parents told me that more variable tenths of a cent per gallon were seen on pumps during the gas-price wars of the 1960s.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

1995hoo

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 24, 2013, 09:29:12 AM
Back to a more road/driving-related item:

When gas prices featured prices other than $X.XX9 per gallon.  A few times in the late 70s/early 80s, I saw prices that actually ended in $X.XX5 (or 1/2 cents).  My parents told me that more variable tenths of a cent per gallon were seen on pumps during the gas-price wars of the 1960s.

I remember an old station in Fairfax City, Virginia, that had prices displayed in xx.7¢ amounts in the late 1970s or early 1980s (e.g., 65.7¢ per gallon or whatever), but the station was no longer operating as a gas station at the time, just as a car repair shop (and it's LONG gone now).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Quote from: theline on September 23, 2013, 11:21:33 PM
Exactly. Adjacent channels could bleed over and interfere. The FCC assigned the numbers in each metropolitan area to avoid interference. Some folks in "fringe" areas between cities could still experience problems between, for example, channel 7 in Dayton and 8 in Indianapolis. Using a directional antenna could help alleviate the problem.

My dad mentioned being able to pick up (barely) both Channel 3 from Louisville and Channel 3 from Huntington from our location in eastern Kentucky.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

RoadWarrior56

I have two.............when you needed a converter on the top of your TV set to receive UHF Channels.  Another is when I could return 6 soda bottles for 2 cent deposit each at the nearby 7-11 and then buy a 12 cent comic book.

agentsteel53

The earlier poster was wrong about networks being tied to specific channels in all areas. Though CBS managed to get channel 2 in many major cities, assignments varied. Where I grew up, channel 6 was NBC, 8 was CBS, and 13 was ABC. Smaller markets didn't get VHF (2-13) channels assigned at all, and had to settle for UHF (14-83), which had less range and required more power, IIRC.

when I was a kid (Boston, late 80s), 2 was PBS, 4 was NBC, 5 was ABC, 7 was CBS.  I think 4 and 7 switched sometime in the mid-90s, and 7 was something else before WHDH but I can't be arsed to remember what.

(Wikipedia can be arsed!  it was WNEV.  there's an acronym I hadn't thought about in years!)

jake@aaroads.com

hm insulators

Quote from: msubulldog on September 23, 2013, 12:54:34 PM
Some sports-related tidbits:
NFL coaches, and not just Tom Landry, wearing a coat and tie on the sideline.
MLB umpires wearing coats and ties; and at that each league having their own umpiring staffs with AL umpires wearing red coats and their NL counterparts wearing blue coats.
AL umpires wearing chest protectors outside their uniforms.
The "technicolor" look of MLB in the 70s and 80s--with teams like the Athletics, Pirates, and Indians leading the way. And to top it off teams like the Phillies, Royals, Expos, Braves, Rangers, Blue Jays, and Cardinals wearing powder blue uniforms on the road.
The Dallas Cowboys wearing blue jerseys at home.

White horns (instead of yellow or the current gold) on the then-Los Angeles Rams' football helmets.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

mefailenglish

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 24, 2013, 09:29:12 AMWhen gas prices featured prices other than $X.XX9 per gallon.
Donny's Discount Gas!

PHLBOS

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 24, 2013, 12:43:49 PMhen I was a kid (Boston, late 80s), 2 was PBS, 4 was NBC, 5 was ABC, 7 was CBS.  I think 4 and 7 switched sometime in the mid-90s, and 7 was something else before WHDH but I can't be arsed to remember what.

(Wikipedia can be arsed!  it was WNEV.  there's an acronym I hadn't thought about in years!)
Prior to the fall of 1972, 5 was CBS/WHDH & 7 was ABC/WNAC.  In addition to becoming an ABC station that year, 5 changed its call letters to the current WCVB and 5 logo to its current one. 

7's change from WNAC to WNEV (but remaining as a CBS station) happened in late 1979.

4's call letters have been WBZ since it started.

Around the same time that the 90s 4/7 NBC/CBS switch in Boston occurred; Philly's NBC & CBS stations (3/KYW & 10/WCAU) also switched over.  The reasoning for such switches was due to all the Westinghouse broadcasting companies (including Boston's WBZ-4 & Philly's KYW-3) becoming aligned w/CBS.   
GPS does NOT equal GOD

agentsteel53

so WHDH was an extant call letter set until 1972, and then again in the mid 90s?

both times to refer to a CBS station?

was it a case of old ownership coming back?  I'm not even sure what HDH stands for, but perhaps some member of the executive board liked the letters?

WNEV seems to have something to do with New England.

jake@aaroads.com

PHLBOS

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 24, 2013, 06:10:01 PM
so WHDH was an extant call letter set until 1972, and then again in the mid 90s?
For TV, yes; but it always remained on radio (AM 850) during that timeframe.

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 24, 2013, 06:10:01 PMboth times to refer to a CBS station?
Yes.

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 24, 2013, 06:10:01 PMWNEV seems to have something to do with New England.
IIRC, when those call-letters first came out; the 7 logo was changed to resemble a sideways V.  The NE, no doubt, stood for New England; but the V was likely for 7 (sideways).

I stand corrected; WNAC-7 became WNEV in May 22, 1982

WNAC's final sign-off:

WNEV's inaugural sign-on:

In 1974; UHF station channel 56 changed is call-letters to the current WLVI (Roman Numerals for 56) from its previous WKBG.

I'm guessing the execs. got tired of KBG getting mixed up with the KGB.

WKBG/WLVI Channel 56 composite (I remember the original logo very well):

GPS does NOT equal GOD

theline

Quote from: hbelkins on September 24, 2013, 12:14:24 PM

My dad mentioned being able to pick up (barely) both Channel 3 from Louisville and Channel 3 from Huntington from our location in eastern Kentucky.

Being an inquisitive kid growing up in the '60s in Muncie, Indiana, from time to time I tried to see what channels I could tune in. One afternoon, I was surprised to find a fuzzy picture on channel 2. I could see that it was an NBC program that, according to my TV News, was being shown on channel 2 in Terre Haute, 119 miles "as the crow flies." I was pleased with my achievement.

I was shocked though when the program ended, and the station identification came on for channel 2 in the Tri-Cities of Midland, Odessa, and Big Spring, Texas. That's 1,050 miles away! The signal soon faded, and I had no proof of my good luck. I checked many times after, but never again picked up that station.

We had a directional antenna with an electric rotor. The Tri-Cities and Terre Haute are on the same vector from Muncie.

vtk

Probably some atmospheric variation along a cold front forming a waveguide from Texas to Indiana.  That kind of thing happens occasionally.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

hubcity

Sure does. Here's an extreme example: a BBC Television broadcast from 1938, the only known footage of BBC Television broadcasting from the pre-WWII era.

It was captured on film by an RCA engineer in New York.

http://archive.org/details/BbcTelevisionReceivedInNewYork-1938

agentsteel53

it happens more often with AM radio, I think.  Mike Ballard (sdmichael on the forum) related to me a story of how he picked up an LA station once in Omaha, or the other way around.

jake@aaroads.com

theline

It's good to know that I wasn't hallucinating that signal from Texas. Everybody told me that TV signals couldn't bounce like shortwave.

roadman

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 25, 2013, 12:42:10 PM
it happens more often with AM radio, I think.  Mike Ballard (sdmichael on the forum) related to me a story of how he picked up an LA station once in Omaha, or the other way around.
Ability to pick up AM radio signals at locations far from the source depends on both atmospheric conditions and the output power of the station, as well as how close adjacent local stations are in frequency.  On clear winter nights at my sister's house in central Illinois, I've easily picked up signals from WBZ AM in Boston.

"Bandscanning", as it's referred to, of the AM broadcast and shortwave bands is popular with many radio hobbyists.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

HurrMark

I was browsing through some of the Boston logos and came across this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=i7Co26eXgNg

There is an I-495 sign at the very beginning of the broadcast - it looks like a fairly modern font...but apparently it has been used for at least the last 35 years

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.