News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

You are too old if you remember.......

Started by roadman65, August 17, 2013, 07:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amroad17

The ABA.  Teams such as the Virginia Squires, Kentucky Colonels, Spirits of St. Louis, Memphis Tams/Sounds, San Diego Conquistadors/Sails, Miami Floridians (whose uniforms were similar to the ones used by the Flint Tropics in "Semi-Pro"), Baltimore Claws (which only lasted through the pre-season in 1975), and the Carolina Cougars.  Players such as Zelmo Beatty, Artis Gilmore, Louie Dampier, Bill Melchionni, Mack Calvin, Billy Knight, Don Buse, and, the player with the biggest afro at the time, Darnell Hillman.

BTW, ESPN is doing a 30 for 30 film next week on the Spirits of St. Louis franchise called "Free Spirits."  I'll be watching that.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

msubulldog

At the midpoint of hour-long TV shows like The Dukes of Hazzard and Dallas, an announcer or cast member would say "(name of show) will continue" among stock footage from that show.
"But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it."
Matt 7:14, NLT

formulanone

"...after these messages!"

That seemed to disappear around 1985-86 or so. You still hear something similar on radio, because you can't just abruptly jump to an ad, unless a DJ says something annoyingly stupid to fill the void.

Now you get messages during the entirety of a program, sometimes constantly so. Along with constant "bug" to remind you that you're watching their channel.

1995hoo

Quote from: msubulldog on October 03, 2013, 02:09:10 PM
At the midpoint of hour-long TV shows like The Dukes of Hazzard and Dallas, an announcer or cast member would say "(name of show) will continue" among stock footage from that show.

Both of which aired on Friday night, too, even when Dallas was far and away the most popular show on TV. How times change.

Regarding the ad disclaimer, the FCC used to require that sort of language during programs aired at certain times of day when large numbers of kids were considered likely to be watching. I recall CHiPs had one commercial break where you'd hear a "CB broadcast" saying "Attention all units! CHiPs will return in a moment!" I don't remember it during Dallas because our parents did not allow us to stay up to watch that show. We were allowed to watch the Dukes and the Dallas theme song (mainly because my brother was really into football and liked seeing Texas Stadium) and then we had to go to bed.

formulanone

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 03, 2013, 02:51:25 PM
I don't remember it during Dallas because our parents did not allow us to stay up to watch that show. We were allowed to watch the Dukes and the Dallas theme song (mainly because my brother was really into football and liked seeing Texas Stadium) and then we had to go to bed.

Same here.  :-D  "You were too young if you remember..."

I think I was able to catch a handful of episodes when three-day-weekends loomed on the horizon. Didn't hold my attention for long, although later on, Miami Vice did (near that same time slot).

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadman65

Quote from: msubulldog on October 03, 2013, 02:09:10 PM
I remember the Rockford Files and the Love Boat would have two times during the commercial between Acts 2 & 3 which the first would have the announcer state the return of the show, and then the second would be right as the second half returned from the break with music.

In season one of the Rockford Files you had the first commercial show reminder that had a slow harmonic version of the well known theme song that even in syndication now it is not played. 

One thing about syndication, it leaves out vital parts of TV history as well as cutting out key scenes.  I love All In The Family, but every episode leaves out a great joke or something like the one episode where the Meathead had trouble achieving an erection (as the younger marriage lives was centered around sex and being Liberal) Edith called Archie out of his favorite place: The John.  Archie made the famous line "Why you selling the house" and then Edith pointed out how long he has been in the bathroom to have Archie furthermore say "Who are you, the official timekeeper!"  In syndication you do not get that classic moment.

However, you can say one network MeTV is bringing back the closing theme songs as many have eliminated it for network TV show previews with the credits at the bottom in small fast letters flipping by.  It is good to hear the ending of the Beverly Hillbillies closing song with the cast waving at the audience in sight as TBS and many others do not feature it.

You can say you are too old to remember the closing theme songs on television shows!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

theline

Quote from: formulanone on October 03, 2013, 02:38:00 PM
Now you get messages during the entirety of a program, sometimes constantly so.

This is because so many viewers are watching the program from a PVR recording and fast-forwarding through the commercials and other promotional messages. The only way they have to promote other shows in a way that is seen by all is to obtrusively place the promos duing the program material.

That's also way you see product placements in the programs.

formulanone

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 03, 2013, 03:03:38 PM
Quote from: formulanone on October 03, 2013, 02:38:00 PMyou can't just abruptly jump to an ad

why not?

I'm not an expert, but I think the FCC requires some sort of "station identification" a certain number of times per hour. Perfect timing, I say...either change stations or fire up the iPod.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on October 03, 2013, 03:53:48 PMOne thing about syndication, it leaves out vital parts of TV history as well as cutting out key scenes.
That's because there's now increased commercial time.  The actual running time of a 30-minute show used to be 25 minutes; now, it's 22 minutes.

It's even weirder when one station will air a show and cut bits-and-pieces but when it airs on another station, most of the cut scenes are at different spots.

The above was what prompted me to order every episode of M*A*S*H on DVD so I can see all the episodes as they originally aired.  Some of the cut scenes in the syndicated reruns, I haven't seen since the episodes originally aired on CBS. 

Quote from: roadman65 on October 03, 2013, 03:53:48 PM
However, you can say one network MeTV is bringing back the closing theme songs as many have eliminated it for network TV show previews with the credits at the bottom in small fast letters flipping by.
The Antenna TV network (which debuted in early 2011) also shows the original closing credits of shows.

Quote from: roadman65 on October 03, 2013, 03:53:48 PMYou can say you are too old to remember the closing theme songs on television shows!
That may have been already covered several posts back.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

agentsteel53

Quote from: formulanone on October 03, 2013, 04:07:56 PM

I'm not an expert, but I think the FCC requires some sort of "station identification" a certain number of times per hour. Perfect timing, I say...either change stations or fire up the iPod.

is this in perfect sync with how many commercial block beginnings there are in an hour?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 03, 2013, 05:27:23 PM

is this in perfect sync with how many commercial block beginnings there are in an hour?

The FCC requires station identification at the top of the hour, within five minutes either way (:55 to :05 range) with the call sign and the city of registration.  This goes for TV or radio (I know as I was on the radio at college - WMTU, Houghton, 91.9 FM).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Henry

Quote from: Brandon on October 03, 2013, 05:39:17 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 03, 2013, 05:27:23 PM

The FCC requires station identification at the top of the hour, within five minutes either way (:55 to :05 range) with the call sign and the city of registration.  This goes for TV or radio (I know as I was on the radio at college - WMTU, Houghton, 91.9 FM).
I always thought that the top of the hour would be the only time for the full ID; i.e. "WLS-AM, Chicago" at 7, 8, 9, etc. In the years before the Lite, Kiss, Magic, and Mix nicknames were created, the call letters were used a lot more frequently.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

1995hoo

Is that why, when you listen to sports on the radio, they always pause ten seconds for station identification at various times?

mgk920

(narrator voice)"(insert name of show here), A Quinn Martin production".

Mike

lepidopteran

When there were really only two ways to see a movie:

• When it was shown in the theaters.
  • When "they put it on TV".  By which I mean on one of the 3 networks in pre-cable days, though if you lived in a larger city there may have been one or more independent channels available.
Some movies, like The Wizard of Oz, came to TV on a regular basis.  But most of the time, if you missed the TV premiere, you might have to wait years for a chance to catch the movie again.

Also: when a movie being shown on TV was treated like an "event", and the networks bumpered the film with all kinds of upbeat music and animations. (Even more amazing how they were done in the days of limited or non-existent CGI technology.)  Some links to examples below.
Caution: Nostalgic reactions may be severe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiuANdElLPI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfdoU71fsHA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuzTfQM4nYE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKF58isCFn8
and if you're really older...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Vs1TLqY_A

theline

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 03, 2013, 08:02:41 PM
Is that why, when you listen to sports on the radio, they always pause ten seconds for station identification at various times?
Yes.

Quote from: mgk920 on October 03, 2013, 08:13:30 PM

Mike
If that's The Fugitive (the original TV series, with David Janssen) the narration was provided by the dulcet tones of William Conrad, who was later TV's rotund detective, Cannon. I get extra points for for being really, really old, since I know that William Conrad was first widely (pun intended) known for his portrayal of Matt Dillon in the radio version of Gunsmoke. It's not surprising that he was not chosen to recreate that role on TV.

theline

Another one related to movie theaters: movies did not used to open "wide," in hunderds of theaters around the country at the same time. In the '60s and before, movies would first open in big theaters downtown in the largest cities. It would be many weeks before the most popular movies made their way to smaller towns. I've always assumed that because of the high cost of film stock, studios limited the number of prints they made.

kkt

Quote from: lepidopteran on October 03, 2013, 08:20:15 PM
When there were really only two ways to see a movie:

• When it was shown in the theaters.
  • When "they put it on TV".  By which I mean on one of the 3 networks in pre-cable days, though if you lived in a larger city there may have been one or more independent channels available.
Some movies, like The Wizard of Oz, came to TV on a regular basis.  But most of the time, if you missed the TV premiere, you might have to wait years for a chance to catch the movie again.

There used to be second-run movie theaters, too, that showed movies that came out 6-12 months before, at a discount.  It was another chance to see hit movies.  There were also repertory movie theaters, that played movies 2 years old plus.

The second-run theaters are gone now, but there are still a few repertory theaters, maybe 1/4 as many as there were Before VHS.

Even when videocassettes were first introduced, they were less attractive than a theater.  Home TV screens were rarely over 25 inches then, the screen would be okay for showing broadcast TV but nowhere near as good as a movie screen.

Big John

There are still a few second-run theaters left, but getting sparce too.

formulanone

They're called "dollar movies", which are great if have kids or missed the first-go-round. No high concession prices, no lines, nobody chooses to sit right behind you and talk. They're not high-tech in any way, but at least you're guaranteed all the screens are the same size (remember that?) within the same theater.

SidS1045

Quote from: Brandon on October 03, 2013, 05:39:17 PM

Er, not quite right.  I've been working on the engineering/IT side of radio for over 40 years, and this rule is the subject of more misunderstanding than almost any other FCC rule.

At one time, long ago, the rule was +/- *two* minutes, not five, but it hasn't been that way in over twenty years.

The pertinent portion of the rule states:

§ 73.1201   Station identification.

(a) When regularly required. Broadcast station identification announcements shall be made:

(1) At the beginning and ending of each time of operation, and

(2) Hourly, as close to the hour as feasible, at a natural break in program offerings. Television and Class A television broadcast stations may make these announcements visually or aurally.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mgk920 on October 03, 2013, 08:13:30 PM

Name of show was frequently "The FBI - in color." 

With the closing credits featuring the lead star of the series, Efrem Zimbalist, Jr., driving a late-model Fort Motor Company product (often a Mustang) around the monumental core of the  District of Columbia.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

PHLBOS

Quote from: theline on October 03, 2013, 08:51:55 PM
Another one related to movie theaters: movies did not used to open "wide," in hunderds of theaters around the country at the same time.
Jaws was the first movie to do such back in 1975.

Quote from: kkt on October 03, 2013, 09:11:08 PMEven when videocassettes were first introduced, they were less attractive than a theater.  Home TV screens were rarely over 25 inches then, the screen would be okay for showing broadcast TV but nowhere near as good as a movie screen.
The other issue with the older TVs was the aspect ratio was not condusive for wide-screen movies.  In some of the movies made in Super/Ultra Panivision and/or CinemaScope; one would only see a third to half of the actual scenes.

That's one reason why my mother still goes to movie theaters (she's now old enough to get the senior rate); she wants to see the films (in her words) "the way God intended them to be seen".  Being 76, she grew up in an era when movies were a much bigger thing/treat but still relatively affordable.

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 03, 2013, 11:10:22 PMName of show was frequently "The FBI - in color."
The opening of the very short-lived Police Squad series did similar; obviously making a parady of the older openings.

Speaking of color;

When NBC used to air this prior to a show starting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIxGyrQz_e8
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.