You are too old if you remember.......

Started by roadman65, August 17, 2013, 07:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 05, 2013, 05:06:49 PMI have seen IGA more recently than this, but I specifically remember one being in South Dakota as of November, 2009.  it was in Hull, IIRC - if not, some other town on US-18 near the Iowa border.

As Briantroutman says, IGA is actually a cooperative of independent grocers.  Many of them trade under their own names, so often the first indication you have that a particular supermarket is an IGA is the "IGA" on generic merchandise.

In the Wichita area, Leeker's in Valley Center is an IGA grocer (note the absence of an IGA logo in the StreetView imagery of the storefront).  For a time, before Dillon's (the local branch of the Kroger octopus) realized that people actually eat fifteen-bean soup and started stocking it, one had to go to Leeker's to find it.

There used to be other IGA grocers in Wichita proper, and my recollection is that they had the IGA branding on their storefronts, but as far as I know, they have all disappeared.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hbelkins

IGA's are fairly common in small-town Kentucky.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

msubulldog

501 was the only area code for Arkansas.
601 was the only area code for Mississippi.
318 and 504 were the only area codes for Louisiana.
713 was the only area code for Houston.
214 was the only area code for Dallas.
817 was the only area code for Fort Worth.
512 was the only area code for south and central Texas.
"But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it."
Matt 7:14, NLT

elsmere241

706 and 905 were "dial-around" area codes for parts of Mexico.
There were no overlay area codes, and no area codes that covered two or more separate "areas".
Not everyone could dial international calls directly.

There was a Cabinet department called Health, Education, and Welfare.

There were PSAs to remind people to use the ZIP Code.

Big John

Quote from: elsmere241 on November 06, 2013, 11:16:48 AM

There were PSAs to remind people to use the ZIP Code.
Before that, smaller cities had no zip code while larger cities had postal zone numbers for the city where you had to put the appropriate number immediately after the city name and before the state, such as Milwaukee 12, Wis.  (also meaning no 2-letter state codes either.)

roadman

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 05, 2013, 05:06:35 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on October 27, 2013, 02:35:17 PMI remember, here in Louisiana (may have been standard practice in other states), the brown recreation signs were upside down trapezoids.  Where ever you needed to turn off, the sharp point of the trapezoid would point in the direction of your turn, and the other side would be flat-sided. In fact, the last trapezoid-shaped rec sign that I know of still in the field was replaced earlier this year.  It was for Lake Bistineau State Park on WB I-20 @ exit 47.

This trapezoidal style was a national MUTCD standard for many years, and is still used for new installs in several states, Alaska being one of them.

Use of the trapezoidal style sign is still an option in the 2009 MUTCD.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kkt

Quote from: Big John on November 06, 2013, 11:22:15 AM
also meaning no 2-letter state codes either.

Right, the 2-letter state codes were introduced at the same time as the Zip code so that city, state, and zip would still fit on one line in a standard sized window envelope.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kkt on November 06, 2013, 12:22:49 PM
Right, the 2-letter state codes were introduced at the same time as the Zip code so that city, state, and zip would still fit on one line in a standard sized window envelope.

because variation in abbreviated state name length was so much greater than variation in city name length? 

if Susquehanna Depot, Penna. did not fit inside an envelope window, then it would be more lucky than good design to have PA fit... a more robust solution would be to get a bigger envelope window, or a printer with a smaller-size font.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

PHLBOS

Quote from: msubulldog on November 06, 2013, 11:01:48 AM
501 was the only area code for Arkansas.
601 was the only area code for Mississippi.
318 and 504 were the only area codes for Louisiana.
713 was the only area code for Houston.
214 was the only area code for Dallas.
817 was the only area code for Fort Worth.
512 was the only area code for south and central Texas.
The 617 area code covered all of Eastern & most of central MA
203 was the only area code for CT
215 covered all of southeastern PA

All area codes featured only a 0 or 1 for the 2nd digit and all office/city codes featured only 2 through 9 in their 2nd digits.

This one may have been already mentioned but it is related; 7-digit dialing to local numbers inside the same area code at all locations and area codes.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

agentsteel53

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 06, 2013, 01:11:49 PM
This one may have been already mentioned but it is related; 7-digit dialing to local numbers inside the same area code.

I think this still exists.  there are pockets of society where phone numbers are advertised with only 7 digits.  Nome, Alaska comes to mind.

jake@aaroads.com

PHLBOS

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 06, 2013, 01:14:39 PM
This one may have been already mentioned but it is related; 7-digit dialing to local numbers inside the same area code.

I think this still exists.  there are pockets of society where phone numbers are advertised with only 7 digits.  Nome, Alaska comes to mind.
I knew should've added the words at all locations and area codes to the above.  So much for assuming that it was implied.  Earlier post is now edited.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

7 digit dialing applies to the 856, 609 & 908 area codes in New Jersey as well.

Delaware still only has one area code - 302.

elsmere241

In Delaware you can dial seven digits for local calls within the area code.  (Like I remember what those are anymore, since I have unlimited long distance.)  I often dial seven digits the first time I call someone, and then out of habit.  My VoIP phone lets me dial ten digits and hit "send", and that's what I usually do.  Anyway, when I was a census enumerator in 2010, I noticed a generational difference when I asked for someone's telephone number.  Those under 40-50 usually gave me ten digits (Delaware is all 302, but a lot of folks do bring in mobile phones from outside) while those older gave me seven.

briantroutman

I think seven-digit dialing still exists in most area codes that aren't currently covered by an overlay (and aren't being readied for an overlay by the PUC). Not necessarily limited to podunk towns and rural outposts. When the 408 area code (South Bay/Silicon Valley) was overlaid in 2012 (emphasis added) it was fairly big news with local media outlets running stories of people lamenting now needing to dial the area code. My childhood area code (was 717, then 570) just switched to 10-digit dialing this year in preparation for an overlay.

Not that all of this matters much, though, as more telecommunications originates from contact records, hyperlinked "call" buttons, etc., worrying about long and complex phone numbers will be like worrying about long and hard-to-remember IP addresses. And if we shook out all of the numbers that are tied up with one-horse "phone companies", assigned to disposable prepaid phones lying in sludge filled gutters, etc., I think the concerns about running out of numbers and needing to create new overlays would prove quite misplaced.

agentsteel53

Quote from: briantroutman on November 06, 2013, 01:47:12 PMall of the numbers that are tied up with one-horse "phone companies", assigned to disposable prepaid phones lying in sludge filled gutters, etc.,

"hi, is this Legitimate Tony's House of Narcotics and Unregistered Machine Guns?"
"no, wrong number!"
"well, whoever this is, you have crossed us and we're coming to kill you."
"crap.  I wish I had gotten Chris Rock's old number instead!"

jake@aaroads.com

elsmere241

Quote from: briantroutman on November 06, 2013, 01:47:12 PMAnd if we shook out all of the numbers that are tied up with one-horse "phone companies", assigned to disposable prepaid phones lying in sludge filled gutters, etc., I think the concerns about running out of numbers and needing to create new overlays would prove quite misplaced.

Actually, they took a step in that direction a few years ago.  Instead of phone companies being required to take blocks of numbers by the 10,000 (area code and three digits), they now can by 1,000 (area code and four digits).

corco

In Idaho and Montana we only use seven digits and most advertising/signage only has seven digits on it except right by state lines, since these states are vast and only have one area code for the entire state.

Where i live now in Montana, four digits is the norm for specifying numbers since we only have one exchange, though seven digits are still required for dialing. But when people ask your number, you say "5555" and they understand that means (406) 846-xxxx

The town I went to high school in in Idaho had two exchanges- 634 for landlines and 630 for cell phones, so a five digit pattern emerged for telling people your number at the grocery store or wherever once the 630 exchange came out. Prior to that we used four digits, just like where I am now in Montana. Once that second exchange popped up though, people would say "call me at 4-5555" or "0-5555" and the (208) 63 was implied. They have introduced two more exchanges though in the last few years so according to my parents that practice is all but gone now.

formulanone

Oddly, the city of and greater Boca Raton, Florida still requires 7-digit dialing for intra-city calls on landlines (like many cities, it's based on the exchange). If you dial the area code 561 for local city calls, the call will not go through. The cities to the north and south require 10-digit dialing, just like the rest of the South Florida area (since 2001 or so). So it's an odd duck; town locals usually do not mention their area code, unlike everyone else from the region.

The nuisance is when someone neglects to mention they (or their cell phone) were/weren't from Boca Raton, or just over the limits; you try the number with the 561 area codes, it won't work...try the 954 area code "next door", and that doesn't work...so only then you dial it without any area code, and only then you've finally placed this call on a land line. Cell-to-cell calls don't have this problem, you just punch in all ten digits.

SidS1045

Quote from: Henry on November 06, 2013, 01:01:25 PM
Three words:

THIS IS CBS.

To the visual of a peacock spreading its plumage, Mel Brandt's voice:  "The following program is brought to you in Living Color, on NBC."

http://www.kingoftheroad.net/colorTV/peacock2.html
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

kkt

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 06, 2013, 12:50:53 PM
Quote from: kkt on November 06, 2013, 12:22:49 PM
because variation in abbreviated state name length was so much greater than variation in city name length? 

if Susquehanna Depot, Penna. did not fit inside an envelope window, then it would be more lucky than good design to have PA fit... a more robust solution would be to get a bigger envelope window, or a printer with a smaller-size font.

It was the early 1960s, there were no laser printers, and no other graphical printers in use for data processing applications.  Typical businesses sending bills or statements would use line printers.  Changing fonts would have been impossible without scrapping a perfectly good line printer that probably cost thousands.

Penna. was Pa. even under the traditional Associate Press abbreviations.  For excessively long names, look for examples in Alaska and Hawaii, which had no standard abbreviations in the Associated Press stylebook or Government Printing Office lists.

roadman65

MA was Mass.
MI was Mich.
FL was FLA or even Fla
SD was S Dak
ND was N Dak
MN was Minn
MS was Miss
AL was Ala
CT was Conn
WA was Wash ( I think)
CA was Calif.
TN was Tenn
AR was Ark
NE was Neb
IL was Ill.
IN was Ind
DE was Del

This was back in the days when you never heard of road rage and no one did stupid stuff on the roads like they do now.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

agentsteel53

Quote from: roadman65 on November 06, 2013, 05:19:57 PM

This was back in the days when you never heard of road rage and no one did stupid stuff on the roads like they do now.

and kids listened to their elders, and everyone was above average, and television programs were neither immoral nor depraved, and women stayed in the kitchen where they belonged.

jake@aaroads.com

Big John

^^ And Ohio was just O, ignoring that Oklahoma and Oregon start with the same letter.

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on November 06, 2013, 05:19:57 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Mania#Historical_significance
QuoteThis cartoon reveals that road rage is not a recent phenomenon, but an issue recurring with each generation of drivers.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.