News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

You are too old if you remember.......

Started by roadman65, August 17, 2013, 07:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Parking meters that take coins smaller than quarters and coin-op phone calls costing 10¢.

Mike

kkt

2nd run and repertory movie theatres.  It was fun seeing the films in an audience.  I suppose if VHS and disc sale or rental hadn't killed them off, the pandemic would have.

tmoore952

Quote from: mgk920 on February 05, 2024, 10:49:05 AM
Parking meters that take coins smaller than quarters and coin-op phone calls costing 10¢.

Mike

Jim Croce "Operator" 1972

"...and you can keep the dime"

kkt

formulanone

Quote from: kkt on February 05, 2024, 11:07:34 AM
2nd run and repertory movie theatres.  It was fun seeing the films in an audience.  I suppose if VHS and disc sale or rental hadn't killed them off, the pandemic would have.

Ironically, I passed by one showing 1980's movies in Hiawassee, Georgia in mid-2020...probably because nothing else new was being distributed at the time.

kkt

I'm surprised it was open at all in mid 2020.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

kkt

Dental X-ray photos taken on film that had to be developed over a couple of days, instead of digital cameras and images available instantly.

1995hoo

Mike

When everyone was outraged about stamps going up to 15¢.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

wanderer2575

frankenroad

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 07, 2024, 07:47:56 AM

Mike

Ha, I remember when they went from 3 cents to 4 cents.  Probably around 1964.  My first "paid" job as a kid was to deliver mail for my parents (grocery bill, dentist bill, etc.) since we lived within walking distance.  My dad paid me what he would have spent on stamps.  That's probably the only time in my life I got a 33% raise!
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Rothman

Quote from: frankenroad on February 07, 2024, 01:52:33 PM

Mike

Ha, I remember when they went from 3 cents to 4 cents.  Probably around 1964.  My first "paid" job as a kid was to deliver mail for my parents (grocery bill, dentist bill, etc.) since we lived within walking distance.  My dad paid me what he would have spent on stamps.  That's probably the only time in my life I got a 33% raise!
You are too old.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

GenExpwy

Mike

3¢ → 4¢ August 1, 1958
4¢ → 5¢ January 7, 1963
5¢ → 6¢ January 7, 1968

ran4sh

I was watching a gaming live stream where the streamer is only 20 years old, and the streamer didn't know what Minesweeper is (the computer game)
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

MikieTimT

when either my brother or I would have to get up from the bunk bed or bean bags and turn the channel knob on our 11" black and white TV in our bedroom, then proceed to move the rabbit ears to reduce the snow and crackle of the reception it was capable of.

when turning 16 getting my first job in a supermarket that paid the minimum wage of $3.35/hr.  Thankfully, my work ethic got me a raise a few months later, but the money kept the car gassed and insured a lot better than the previous job of mowing lawns for family members did.

when a teenager was expected to have a job at all.

Scott5114

Quote from: MikieTimT on February 08, 2024, 08:08:57 AM
when a teenager was expected to have a job at all.

Teenagers had way less homework they were expected to do then. When I was a teenager in the 2000s I usually had about four hours' worth. I only managed to hold a job and get it done by resorting to...extraordinary measures.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Parking meters that take coins smaller than quarters

:hmm:  Parking meters here in Wichita accept nickels, dimes, and quarters.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on February 08, 2024, 10:12:34 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on February 05, 2024, 10:49:05 AMParking meters that take coins smaller than quarters

For now, yes.  The city is working on a plan that will eventually require a smartphone app (or use of a pay-and-display machine) to pay for parking in metered spaces.  There was a controversy last year when a early phase in the plan resulted in the minimum charge going from ten cents to five dollars for the spaces that people park in for performances at Century II.

Personally, I have little confidence that this plan won't cause more problems than it solves.  Similar systems in Detroit and St. Louis have led me to parking in spaces that are either not metered at all or where metering is not in effect at the time I am parking, just to avoid hassling with payment.  Parking will also be more expensive overall since a large part of the cost consists of paying a private company to take our money.  However, this scheme has the support of influential movers and shakers who cite it as key to downtown revitalization efforts.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Rothman

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 08, 2024, 01:12:48 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on February 05, 2024, 10:49:05 AMParking meters that take coins smaller than quarters

For now, yes.  The city is working on a plan that will eventually require a smartphone app (or use of a pay-and-display machine) to pay for parking in metered spaces.  There was a controversy last year when a early phase in the plan resulted in the minimum charge going from ten cents to five dollars for the spaces that people park in for performances at Century II.

Personally, I have little confidence that this plan won't cause more problems than it solves.  Similar systems in Detroit and St. Louis have led me to parking in spaces that are either not metered at all or where metering is not in effect at the time I am parking, just to avoid hassling with payment.  Parking will also be more expensive overall since a large part of the cost consists of paying a private company to take our money.  However, this scheme has the support of influential movers and shakers who cite it as key to downtown revitalization efforts.
How dare Wichita adopt a system like those that have been implemented in hundreds of urban areas of all sizes, from Boston to Syracuse to San Francisco?

The apocalypse didn't occur there, so I wouldn't worry about doomsday scenarios just by installing a parking system that allow payment by app.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

mgk920

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 08, 2024, 01:12:48 PM

Appleton tried and has already gotten rid of a central paybox system in a few places, they were not popular and difficult for many to figure out.  Appleton also eliminated meters taking coins below quarters by the 1990s, They now take quarters and dollars, as well as using a city cell phone app.

Mike

1995hoo

The Parkmobile system used as an option in Washington, DC, allows—or, at least, used to allow—people who don't have smartphones to pay over the phone by calling a number to make payment. I don't know whether that option still exists because I've never used it—I have the Parkmobile app, but I haven't parked on a meter in DC in quite a few years, probably not since they eliminated the 12-hour meters back where Audi Field is now. I used to park back there to go to Nats games.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

frankenroad

Quote from: GenExpwy on February 08, 2024, 05:24:17 AM

Mike

3¢ → 4¢ August 1, 1958
4¢ → 5¢ January 7, 1963
5¢ → 6¢ January 7, 1968

If this is accurate (and I assume it is), I must be remembering the 4c to 5c jump as I was not even 2 in August of 58.  So I guess my raise was only 25%.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

JayhawkCO

The earliest I remember is a $0.26 -> $0.29 jump.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.