News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What's the Best Way to obtain Traffic Signs?

Started by Zeffy, September 16, 2013, 12:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

I'm genuinely curious. I've seen traffic signs in the most random of places, and yet I don't have one myself. So, can anyone tell me a good way to obtain one that meets this criteria:

-Follows the MUTCD
-Price Range: $10-$70 Maximum (I'm not made of money)
-Made of real materials
-Will last long and look great

So, I've been wanting to buy a custom Interstate sign. After some Googling, I got led to this website:
http://www.roadtrafficsigns.com/sign/custom-interstate-80-sign/sku-k-3278.aspx

First, they have a lot of 5* reviews, plus a custom Interstate shield from here is extremely cheap for a 24x24 made with actual MUTCD specifications. However, they show a person holding a NON-CUTOUT shield on the main page for Interstate shields. This is why I don't know if I should just purchase one from there, because I sure as hell can't make it a cutout if it's not.

And I know that many people don't actually buy signs brand new like I'm considering - they find them being handed out once they are due to be replaced or taken down. How does one go about doing this? Or, are there any other websites or places where I should consider instead?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Brian556

US71

ebay (watch the pricing, though)
flea markets
"junk" stores (the more cluttered, & disorganized, the better the deal...usually)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Mike Tantillo should chime in here. He bought a "Maryland 817" (the route does not exist) sign for Mike and Laura's wedding present, since their wedding date was Aug. 17.

agentsteel also sells signs, does he not?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

eBay.

I could make you an 18x18 interstate but it would set you back $99 plus shipping.

I've got all kinds of old, used signs at all kinds of prices, if you are interested.  any specific states you are looking for?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 16, 2013, 06:30:58 PM
eBay.

I could make you an 18x18 interstate but it would set you back $99 plus shipping.

I've got all kinds of old, used signs at all kinds of prices, if you are interested.  any specific states you are looking for?
You should create a page on AARoads that lists all of your signs and the associated prices.

realjd

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 16, 2013, 06:30:58 PM
eBay.

I'll give a recommend for Jake's custom made signs. He did an unusual one for me a few months ago and it was well worth the money.

nyratk1

I had a NY 25 sign made a few years ago by Traffic Management Inc. They do all kinds of MUTCD compliant signs and if need be, You could probably send them a detailed image of what kind of specs you'd want. Prices are very, very reasonable and the customer service rep was friendly and attentive. When I had the NY 25 sign made, it was $32 total. I think the interstate signs would be near $40-50 total depending on what kind of reflective sheeting you get.

http://www.trafficmanagement.com/store/signs/chart-detail/702/

(Off tangent a bit, but I eventually ended up with two more NY 25 signs, both road used. One was a 1970s handpainted one done by Suffolk County DPW and the other was a state-done embossed 1930s-1950s cutout that I got last week. Both were obtained cheaply.)

Scott5114

Find out who your DOT contracts with, and see if you can order a one-off from them. You might also contact your state/county/city DOT sign shop and see if they'll run one for you.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Zeffy on September 16, 2013, 12:22:59 AMAfter some Googling, I got led to this website:
http://www.roadtrafficsigns.com/sign/custom-interstate-80-sign/sku-k-3278.aspx

Yeah, pretty sure you shouldn't go with this site.  It's pretty clear to me you'd be getting a non-cutout, both from the pictures provided and from the description "Novelty Interstate Signs".  Also, I'm enjoying the grammar here:

QuoteA major interstate highway in the south of United States, the Interstate 20 (I-20) stretches from Kent, Texas to Florence, South Carolina.

PHLBOS

You might want to re-word your thread title to What's the Best Way to LEGALLY obtain Traffic Signs to prevent any postings of true confessions from the Bring some tools and go in the dead of night crowd.
:sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

agentsteel53

Quote from: nyratk1 on September 18, 2013, 12:46:51 AM

(Off tangent a bit, but I eventually ended up with two more NY 25 signs, both road used. One was a 1970s handpainted one done by Suffolk County DPW and the other was a state-done embossed 1930s-1950s cutout that I got last week. Both were obtained cheaply.)

you got that one that was a Buy It Now for $59 on eBay?  good pickup!  I was tempted to go after it.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mapman1071

Years  ago the City of Phoenix, AZ from Mid November to Early January used to have a Public City Store that would sell logo taged products (Coffee Mugs, Shirts ect.) they would also have old and worn out, or sun faded traffic signs as well as reproduction signs printed on cardboard.
All signs would have labels on the back stating for "private use only, Illegal to place on public or private right of way."

Scott5114

Quote from: mapman1071 on September 18, 2013, 01:27:37 PM
"private use only, Illegal to place on [...] private right of way."

When was Phoenix annexed by Alanland?

mapman1071

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 18, 2013, 06:01:19 PM

Private Right of Way would be Parking lots, Mobil Home Parks, Private streets/driveways: Townhome, Gated Community, Apartment Complex.

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 18, 2013, 11:37:41 AM

you got that one that was a Buy It Now for $59 on eBay?  good pickup!  I was tempted to go after it.

I can't believe you didn't, for that price.

nyratk1

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 18, 2013, 11:37:41 AM

Yeah. It was the first time I saw a NY cutout for that cheap and it was a local route to boot.

Scott5114

Quote from: mapman1071 on September 18, 2013, 06:16:33 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 18, 2013, 06:01:19 PM

Private Right of Way would be Parking lots, Mobil Home Parks, Private streets/driveways: Townhome, Gated Community, Apartment Complex.

Yes, I'm aware. If you bought a sign and put it in your business parking lot, wouldn't that be 'private use' and thus conflict with 'illegal to place on private right of way'? Are they even able to enforce that, if you buy a stop sign from them and use it to control traffic in an apartment complex you own? How is that any different from buying one from Uline or something?

Central Avenue

My guess would be that "private use" refers to "private" not in the sense of private property, but "private" in the sense of "not in public".

That's no excuse for the poor phrasing, though.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 18, 2013, 11:35:23 AM
You might want to re-word your thread title to What's the Best Way to LEGALLY obtain Traffic Signs...

Why?  :spin:

Alex4897

Every single one of mine was knocked off of a pole and I snagged it.  I have too many to hang in my room.  :-P
👉😎👉

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.