News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

Is there a picture showing the sign flashing?

Also, US 206 has been reopened, albeit to vehicles under 20 tons. Vehicles over that limit are still restricted to the detour route.
http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2016/03/njs_oldest_bridge_reopens_on_route_206_in_princeto.html#incart_river_mobile_index
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on March 07, 2016, 03:16:13 PM

GSV will have to do for now.  Note the right-most like doesn't work...hasn't for a few years.

https://goo.gl/maps/EvX1stCWvyL2
https://goo.gl/maps/4NPurTzYnNE2

Zeffy

That sign reminds of one just like it just getting off the Delaware Memorial Bridge in Delaware. I believe it was on the curve to DE 9, but I may be mistaken.

Also, I drove on the new replacement for the US 206 bridge last night in Princeton. There weren't any cops and I saw two trucks drive over the damn thing anyway, so hopefully it doesn't break. Again. The bridge lanes are a bit narrow because the shoulders are mostly covered by Jersey barriers, but hey - it's one of the best segments of road pavement in the state as of now.  :sombrero:

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on March 08, 2016, 09:29:59 AM
That sign reminds of one just like it just getting off the Delaware Memorial Bridge in Delaware. I believe it was on the curve to DE 9, but I may be mistaken.

It's on the curve to US 13/40.  The sign was needed because the DBRA replaced a perfectly fine ramp with one much too sharp, and cars were flying off it!  https://goo.gl/maps/1cdVjaZwDn92

J Route Z

Also, I drove on the new replacement for the US 206 bridge last night in Princeton. There weren't any cops and I saw two trucks drive over the damn thing anyway, so hopefully it doesn't break. Again. The bridge lanes are a bit narrow because the shoulders are mostly covered by Jersey barriers, but hey - it's one of the best segments of road pavement in the state as of now.  :sombrero:
Were new weight limits posted?

Zeffy

Quote from: J Route Z on March 08, 2016, 12:23:26 PM

Yes they are - clearly they need to put some sort of attention-grabbing feature on the sign so trucks don't continue to go over it.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 08, 2016, 09:49:17 AM

It's on the curve to US 13/40.  The sign was needed because the DBRA replaced a perfectly fine ramp with one much too sharp, and cars were flying off it!  https://goo.gl/maps/1cdVjaZwDn92

Damn it, that was my original guess too!! I wasn't sure if it was right after the bridge or the exit after...

Alps

Quote from: Zeffy on March 08, 2016, 04:19:53 PM
Quote from: J Route Z on March 08, 2016, 12:23:26 PM

Yes they are - clearly they need to put some sort of attention-grabbing feature on the sign so trucks don't continue to go over it.

The only such feature that will work is police.

Alps

Critical ramp is closing: http://patch.com/new-jersey/parsippany/5-month-rt-80-ramp-closure-begin-next-week-0
This affects a LOT of people. People use that ramp at all hours. There's no good way around it. Getting to I-280 Exit 1 is inconvenient and sticks you in the long line there. Using Beverwyck Rd. gets very congested. This is going to have broad regional effects.

lepidopteran

When I was a small child, I remember one just like this inside (the long-removed) Freehold Circle facing US-9 NB.  I distinctly remember the flash pattern:

• Full arrow on
  • Dark
  • Full arrow on
  • Dark
  • One-by-one bulbs light up in line, then the chevron
(Repeat above)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 07, 2016, 12:43:58 PM
The end of an era?

Take a close look in the pic below. You'll seeing laying on the ground the large flashing arrow that greeted motorists just before they make the sharp left on I-295 South as they entered the infamous Aljo curve.  High winds during a recent thunderstorm appears to have been too much for the wooden posts, blowing it over. Construction in the area would've required its removal within the next few years anyway.

Btw, apparently I was wrong (1st time in last 10 minutes...who would've thought!). The arrow board for the Aljo curve was put back into service, with new posts and footors. Yet they didn't bother replacing the bad light!

akotchi

Quote from: Alps on March 22, 2016, 07:01:14 PM
Critical ramp is closing: http://patch.com/new-jersey/parsippany/5-month-rt-80-ramp-closure-begin-next-week-0
This affects a LOT of people. People use that ramp at all hours. There's no good way around it. Getting to I-280 Exit 1 is inconvenient and sticks you in the long line there. Using Beverwyck Rd. gets very congested. This is going to have broad regional effects.
Yikes . . . Do you know what the posted detour route will be?  Interestingly, the article does not say.

I did work in that area years ago (along the whole stretch of I-80, while also looking at U.S. 46) and the two possible detour routes (using intersections you alluded to) were not good even then.  I cannot imagine they are any better now . . .
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

cl94

Quote from: akotchi on March 23, 2016, 01:17:18 PM
Yikes . . . Do you know what the posted detour route will be?  Interestingly, the article does not say.

I did work in that area years ago (along the whole stretch of I-80, while also looking at U.S. 46) and the two possible detour routes (using intersections you alluded to) were not good even then.  I cannot imagine they are any better now . . .

Oh, boy. I'm familiar with the area and that won't be pleasant. I'm assuming Beverwyck Road will be the posted detour and I agree that Exit 1 is a PITA. I wonder if NJDOT will retime some of the signals in the area to help with traffic flow.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Ian

I found a picture in my old files that I took of the old one going northbound (which is basically the same sign). Only the first three heads were lit when I took the photo.

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

jeffandnicole

I have pics of various lights lit somewhere. I'll try to grab video of it in action.

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on March 23, 2016, 04:42:16 PM

Oh, boy. I'm familiar with the area and that won't be pleasant. I'm assuming Beverwyck Road will be the posted detour and I agree that Exit 1 is a PITA. I wonder if NJDOT will retime some of the signals in the area to help with traffic flow.
Route 46 needs three through lanes at Beverwyck even without this closure. I really am clueless how they plan to deal with this. NJDOT used to just do whatever without regard to traffic volumes, but I thought they'd gotten better about that (ramp closures later at night instead of 8 PM for example). I... guess... we'll... see?

cl94

Quote from: Alps on March 24, 2016, 12:14:11 AM
Quote from: cl94 on March 23, 2016, 04:42:16 PM

Route 46 needs three through lanes at Beverwyck even without this closure. I really am clueless how they plan to deal with this. NJDOT used to just do whatever without regard to traffic volumes, but I thought they'd gotten better about that (ramp closures later at night instead of 8 PM for example). I... guess... we'll... see?
I'm trying to figure out why NJDOT isn't using accelerated bridge construction. Yeah, the weekend where they swap out the bridges would be pure hell, but it'll be 5 months of hell as it is. It's like ripping off a Band-Aid versus slowly removing it- both hurt, but one is much faster.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jeffandnicole

I originally mentioned this public meeting on the Garden State Parkway thread, but I'll move it to the more appropriate thread here now...

I stopped in yesterday at a public meeting in Mt. Laurel, NJ for a project on NJ 73.  The primary objective is to improve the intersection of 73 & Church road by grade-separating Church over 73, but the project has expanded to upgrade nearly 1.75 miles of 73 as well.  Church has an unusual configuration with 73, as the current intersection doesn't allow for straight-thru traffic but requires motorists to remain on 73 for a very short distance.

A few highlights:

> Church Road will fly over Rt. 73, eliminating a busy intersection and source of congestion for several hours of the day. 

> There will be no immediate connection to 73 at Church Rd.  Instead, connections will be made via RIRO turns near Church, and via a newly created 4 way signalized intersection about 1/2 mile south of the current intersection (it's currently a signalized T intersection with Atrium Way).

> Rt. 73 will be widened to no fewer than 3 lanes from 295 to near Church Street, with 73 North gaining a 3rd lane south of Church, and 73 South losing a 3rd lane just north of Church. 

> Rt. 73 will gain a 4th lane in each direction between 295 & the NJ Turnpike.

> The 73 overpass over 295 will be slightly widened.  The entire bridge deck will be replaced. 

> The Fellowship Rd. jughandle from 73 South will be reconfigured and extended to Century Parkway, which will allow traffic to circulate back to Fellowship Rd.  The current jughandle is an unusual 2 lane jughandle, with both lanes meeting into Fellowship Road's right lane.  It works only because every sensible road rule is ignored with this configuration.

> The maps showed a little road work on 295 itself at the interchange, although I'm not sure what that may involve.  Maybe slightly lowering 295's profile to increase clearance under the 73 overpass.

> Dual left-turn lanes from Fellowship onto 73.  In the case of Fellowship south of 73, the map is showing an usual 6 lane design features a 5 vs 1 lane split...1 Southbound lane vs. 5 Northbound lanes (2 left turn lanes, 2 straight, 1 right).  The current width is 5 lanes total.  One of our prominent, featured members on this board had mentioned in the past that his firm has looked at this intersection.  NJDOT staff who worked on this project mentioned that re-working this intersection was greatly looked at too, and unfortunately due to all the nearby businesses, there were serious issues with trying to grade-separate this intersection.  Even putting a jughandle in from 73 North to Fellowship was impractical without taking away some businesses, and the volume of traffic they feel doesn't necessitate such.

From my perspective, this is a pretty good, thorough project.  It succeeds in widening 73 at a very major junction of 2 interstate highways, and eliminating the bottleneck that can jam up 73 for quite a distance.   While some residential property owners would be affected with the new roadway from Church to 73, best I can tell is no one will lose a house.  Some business owners will be affected with reconfigured driveways, and those right next to the overpass may have to contend with a wall to support the new overpass.

Construction, they estimated, is about 5 years away, which IMO is pretty optimistic.

My big concern is signage, especially between 295 & the Turnpike.  I talked with the project manager who kinda ho-humed that any improvements were needed, but he did say it's in the Concept Development Stage and signage is looked at later.  A few other people I spoke with were very familiar with what I was talking about though, and absolutely agreed that they are pushing for changes to the signage.

ekt8750

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 24, 2016, 01:17:53 PM
I originally mentioned this public meeting on the Garden State Parkway thread, but I'll move it to the more appropriate thread here now...

I stopped in yesterday at a public meeting in Mt. Laurel, NJ for a project on NJ 73.  The primary objective is to improve the intersection of 73 & Church road by grade-separating Church over 73, but the project has expanded to upgrade nearly 1.75 miles of 73 as well.  Church has an unusual configuration with 73, as the current intersection doesn't allow for straight-thru traffic but requires motorists to remain on 73 for a very short distance.

A few highlights:

> Church Road will fly over Rt. 73, eliminating a busy intersection and source of congestion for several hours of the day. 

> There will be no immediate connection to 73 at Church Rd.  Instead, connections will be made via RIRO turns near Church, and via a newly created 4 way signalized intersection about 1/2 mile south of the current intersection (it's currently a signalized T intersection with Atrium Way).

> Rt. 73 will be widened to no fewer than 3 lanes from 295 to near Church Street, with 73 North gaining a 3rd lane south of Church, and 73 South losing a 3rd lane just north of Church. 

> Rt. 73 will gain a 4th lane in each direction between 295 & the NJ Turnpike.

> The 73 overpass over 295 will be slightly widened.  The entire bridge deck will be replaced. 

> The Fellowship Rd. jughandle from 73 South will be reconfigured and extended to Century Parkway, which will allow traffic to circulate back to Fellowship Rd.  The current jughandle is an unusual 2 lane jughandle, with both lanes meeting into Fellowship Road's right lane.  It works only because every sensible road rule is ignored with this configuration.

> The maps showed a little road work on 295 itself at the interchange, although I'm not sure what that may involve.  Maybe slightly lowering 295's profile to increase clearance under the 73 overpass.

> Dual left-turn lanes from Fellowship onto 73.  In the case of Fellowship south of 73, the map is showing an usual 6 lane design features a 5 vs 1 lane split...1 Southbound lane vs. 5 Northbound lanes (2 left turn lanes, 2 straight, 1 right).  The current width is 5 lanes total.  One of our prominent, featured members on this board had mentioned in the past that his firm has looked at this intersection.  NJDOT staff who worked on this project mentioned that re-working this intersection was greatly looked at too, and unfortunately due to all the nearby businesses, there were serious issues with trying to grade-separate this intersection.  Even putting a jughandle in from 73 North to Fellowship was impractical without taking away some businesses, and the volume of traffic they feel doesn't necessitate such.

From my perspective, this is a pretty good, thorough project.  It succeeds in widening 73 at a very major junction of 2 interstate highways, and eliminating the bottleneck that can jam up 73 for quite a distance.   While some residential property owners would be affected with the new roadway from Church to 73, best I can tell is no one will lose a house.  Some business owners will be affected with reconfigured driveways, and those right next to the overpass may have to contend with a wall to support the new overpass.

Construction, they estimated, is about 5 years away, which IMO is pretty optimistic.

My big concern is signage, especially between 295 & the Turnpike.  I talked with the project manager who kinda ho-humed that any improvements were needed, but he did say it's in the Concept Development Stage and signage is looked at later.  A few other people I spoke with were very familiar with what I was talking about though, and absolutely agreed that they are pushing for changes to the signage.

I hope the widening of the NJ 73 overpass over 295 will eliminate the weaving that goes on with traffic coming off 295 North to 73 West.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ekt8750 on March 24, 2016, 01:55:07 PM
I hope the widening of the NJ 73 overpass over 295 will eliminate the weaving that goes on with traffic coming off 295 North to 73 West North.

While it won't eliminate it, it will clean it up a bit.  Currently as you're probably aware, that ramp sorta-kinda becomes its own lane, although it's not really striped as such, which is a condition noted by NJDOT (you would think that would be an easy fix, but as-is is as-is!.  As proposed, 73 will have 3 clearly defined lanes thru the interchange, and a 4th lane will be for traffic merging on and off 73.

odditude

what's happening to Ramblewood Pkwy?

roadman65

Oh yes the NJ 73 going N-S thing just like NJ 42 and NJ 168.  Considering that PA has its part of the two state route signed as E-W, that NJDOT would have made the exception.  I can see both routes 42 and 168 being this way as they run more N-S than E-W, but then again they do not change cardinal direction at a state line like Route 73 does.  PA 73 runs more E-W than NJ 73's existence of N-S but for continuity sake NJ would break the rules for this one.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ekt8750

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 24, 2016, 02:04:54 PM
I hope the widening of the NJ 73 overpass over 295 will eliminate the weaving that goes on with traffic coming off 295 North to 73 West North.

While it won't eliminate it, it will clean it up a bit.  Currently as you're probably aware, that ramp sorta-kinda becomes its own lane, although it's not really striped as such, which is a condition noted by NJDOT (you would think that would be an easy fix, but as-is is as-is!.  As proposed, 73 will have 3 clearly defined lanes thru the interchange, and a 4th lane will be for traffic merging on and off 73.

(Forgot 73 is North/South in NJ)

While that ramp from 295 North to 73 North does become its own lane, the ramp from 73 North to 295 South splits off of it almost immediately. I can't tell you how many times I've been cut off coming off of 295 by someone trying to get on it. It also doesn't help that the signage for the interchange is terrible.

ekt8750

Quote from: roadman65 on March 24, 2016, 03:38:31 PM
Oh yes the NJ 73 going N-S thing just like NJ 42 and NJ 168.  Considering that PA has its part of the two state route signed as E-W, that NJDOT would have made the exception.  I can see both routes 42 and 168 being this way as they run more N-S than E-W, but then again they do not change cardinal direction at a state line like Route 73 does.  PA 73 runs more E-W than NJ 73's existence of N-S but for continuity sake NJ would break the rules for this one.

Most 1 and 2 digit state routes in PA follow the direct opposite of the national numbering/direction rules. Odd routes, east/west; even routes, north/south.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: odditude on March 24, 2016, 03:32:57 PM
what's happening to Ramblewood Pkwy?

The direct connection will be a RIRO with 73 North.  Indirectly, a small new road sticking out across from Fairway Terrace will intersect with Church, which will then allow them access over to the South side of 73.

Quote from: ekt8750 on March 24, 2016, 03:39:40 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 24, 2016, 02:04:54 PM

(Forgot 73 is North/South in NJ)

While that ramp from 295 North to 73 North does become its own lane, the ramp from 73 North to 295 South splits off of it almost immediately. I can't tell you how many times I've been cut off coming off of 295 by someone trying to get on it. It also doesn't help that the signage for the interchange is terrible.

Yeah...it's that whole lack of marked lane situation that's present.  With any C/D type auxiliary lane, you're still going to have to mix into traffic.  But it'll be better defined in the future!

Mergingtraffic

Are the button copy signs on I-280 WB by the NJ Turnpike and the button copy signs on the ramp from the GSP to I-280 still around?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.