2014 NYC National Road Meet (June 28-29, 2014)

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 08:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amroad17

Quote from: SSOWorld on March 21, 2014, 10:49:34 PM
I'm 41 - and have a paranoid mother.  I just do it anyway.  Seriously nowadays I think she's getting senile - or is trying to convey a sense of humor. :/
I'm 52 and have a paranoid mother-in-law!!! :-D

This is one meet my wife and I would love to attend, but not sure if it will fit into our availability.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

PHLBOS

Quote from: Duke87 on March 21, 2014, 11:41:24 PM
I tend to frequently update Facebook when going on a long trip. That reassures everyone that I am still alive. :P
Including stalkers, buglars, hit-men, etc.  :sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Brandon

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 24, 2014, 09:24:10 AM
Quote from: Duke87 on March 21, 2014, 11:41:24 PM
I tend to frequently update Facebook when going on a long trip. That reassures everyone that I am still alive. :P
Including stalkers, buglars, hit-men, etc.  :sombrero:

Well I most certainly want the hit-men to know I'm still alive and that they're complete and total idiots for missing me.  :colorful:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Dr Frankenstein

My parents would not have let me go if I was 16, and I kind of understand that opinion. At 16, you're a minor, which means that you (unfortunately) legally have to be under someone else's responsibility, and they might ask you about that at the border (and you'll need a permission letter anyway). I managed to drag them with me when a skiing forum organized a meet, and once they had met the usual bunch, they were a little more permissive.

I know Ian's father used to come to the meet lunches. If your parents want to come, sammi, good for them.

For Internet access, if you have a smartphone, it's easy to get a prepaid line if it's carrier-unlocked.

Zeffy, your mother needs your father's (emotional, not monetary) support more than ever, and – I hate to put it out so flatly – some help too. It's normal for her children enter adulthood, and it's not normal for her to react like that.

Roadgeek Adam

I seem to have more in the hands-off when it came to parents. My first two road meets (LI & Hartford 2008), my father came on the tour. Ever since, he's never gone to one except to drop me off. With other events, even going back to when I was 15, my parents let me go.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

AsphaltPlanet

I have never met most of you before, but I think I'd like to attend this meet.

The Yankees are playing the Red Sox at Yankee Stadium this weekend, and I'd also like to go to one of those games while in NYC.  Any idea on when the itinerary will be up?
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

corco

Good luck with that, the cheapest available seat right now is almost $400

AsphaltPlanet

there are some cheaper seats than that for the saturday game.  I'm willing to pay a premium to see the Red Sox vs. the Yankees though.  (Not sure why, seeing as I hate both teams :) ).
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

corco

Yeah, as a baseball fan its definitely on my bucket list to see that, but in this stage of life its above my pay grade.

AsphaltPlanet

They have a number of seats in around the $100 per seat level.  If there is any interest, I can pre-buy a couple for distribution later, if there isn't interest, I am just going to get a seat of my own for the Saturday night 7:15 start.

Alps

Nah, we'd be going to the minor league rivalry, Staten Island Yankees vs. Brooklyn Cyclones. I've seen Red Sox Yankees - from the Green Monster seats, the year they opened, waiting in line for 6 hours in bitter cold, $30 each. You can't get them for $300 now.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: corco on March 28, 2014, 10:50:32 AM
Good luck with that, the cheapest available seat right now is almost $400

I'll bet that a small amount of cash at the gate after the first inning will find you a ticket from a guy that had a fight with his girlfriend and she doesn't want to go now, and some cash is better than none.  Allow yourself the ability to walk away and watch the game at Stan's, knowing you will still have a memorable day.  That ability is your best ticket-buying friend.

Thus gets me into a surprising (even to me) number of events.

The market is rarely as simple as the Internet will have you believe.

jpi

Ok, I went from a BIG maybe to now 75% going, just put in for the request off and I plan on cashing in some free motel nights so this will help with expenses and staying with family in central PA on the way to and from the meet. I would like to get out to long island possibly late Sunday afternoon for sight seeing, light houses and getting the 2 counties on long island, any suggestions and if I should stay on LI Sunday night or will I be able to do a 3rd night in Edison, NJ where I plan on staying Friday night and Sunday night.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel
But not for much longer! ;-)

SSOWorld

Anyone going from far away who has desire to climb to the Statue of Liberty's crown...

is out of luck. (No, I'm not surprised :pan: )
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

signalman

Quote from: jpi on April 20, 2014, 03:12:40 PM
Ok, I went from a BIG maybe to now 75% going, just put in for the request off and I plan on cashing in some free motel nights so this will help with expenses and staying with family in central PA on the way to and from the meet. I would like to get out to long island possibly late Sunday afternoon for sight seeing, light houses and getting the 2 counties on long island, any suggestions and if I should stay on LI Sunday night or will I be able to do a 3rd night in Edison, NJ where I plan on staying Friday night and Sunday night.
Neither will be a real bargain, traffic wise.  Sunday afternoon and evening traffic from Long Island to NYC will be brutal.  If you opt to stay out on Long Island Sunday night and head west on Monday morning, traffic will also be thick with commuters and weekenders who chose to head back to the city Monday morning.

Alps

Quote from: signalman on April 21, 2014, 12:21:18 PM
Neither will be a real bargain, traffic wise.  Sunday afternoon and evening traffic from Long Island to NYC will be brutal.  If you opt to stay out on Long Island Sunday night and head west on Monday morning, traffic will also be thick with commuters and weekenders who chose to head back to the city Monday morning.
One of the several reasons the meet is based in Jersey - a lot easier access (you can head west and avoid the commuter directions).

I need to put a document together that's going to be along the lines of "NJ roads for dummies." It'll explain weekday and weekend traffic patterns, things you can see if you're around for times that aren't the meet, the three types of jughandles... and I'll try to keep it short and sweet. It's coming.

jpi

Quote from: signalman on April 21, 2014, 12:21:18 PM
So I was thinking about staying on Long Island Sunday night then spend Monday mid morning sight seeing and by Monday afternoon before rush hour starts head back towards NJ\ PA. I figured I would be running into heavy traffic at some point and I have EZPass so not concerned there. Thanks for the feed back :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Duke87

To avoid morning rush hour, either get into the city before 6 AM, or after 10 AM.
To avoid evening rush hour, either get out of the city before 3 PM, or after 7 PM (8 PM on Friday).

If you are going to sightsee in Long Island Monday morning, watch out for the second - be across the Hudson River before 3 PM, or suffer.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on April 21, 2014, 11:26:40 PM
To avoid morning rush hour, either get into the city before 6 AM, or after 10 AM.
To avoid evening rush hour, either get out of the city before 3 PM, or after 7 PM (8 PM on Friday).

If you are going to sightsee in Long Island Monday morning, watch out for the second - be across the Hudson River before 3 PM, or suffer.

Be across the EAST River by 3 PM. Be across the HUDSON by about 4.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Alps on April 21, 2014, 11:29:05 PM

I'm assuming we should forget about weekends.  :happy:
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Duke87

Quote from: Alps on April 21, 2014, 11:29:05 PM

Eh, route dependent. Getting into the tunnels between 3 and 4 isn't the end of the world, but the GWB and the SIE will both be backed up at that time.

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 21, 2014, 11:42:54 PM
I'm assuming we should forget about weekends.  :happy:

Weekend traffic is pretty much an all day thing, but it happens mostly in specific places that are known to be trouble spots, rather than across the board. So while it's not as easy to time your trip around it (all problems are in play 11 AM - 7 PM, some a couple hours longer on either end), you can to some degree route your trip around it.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

SSOWorld

Makes sense. When I did my brief road tour of NYC in 2010 (post-Providence) - I did it early on a Sunday Morning, but outside the West Side Highway/West Street, I stuck to expressways and parkways.  I got to NYC about 8 pm the previous night and used the CBE. It was not as packed as I thought it would have been.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

jpi

Decided to stay on LI Sunday night, plan to spend most of the day Monday on LI sight seeing and taking in some beach time, any suggestions?
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Alps

Quote from: jpi on April 24, 2014, 10:22:25 PM

Decided to stay on LI Sunday night, plan to spend most of the day Monday on LI sight seeing and taking in some beach time, any suggestions?

Monday is a good day to see some beaches, since most people will be at work. Fire Island is the classic "amazing" beach, but I wouldn't say it's a must-see. But I prefer the less-visited beaches, so don't listen to me. Anything along Ocean Parkway is probably good.

jpi

Quote from: Alps on April 25, 2014, 12:24:52 AM
Quote from: jpi on April 24, 2014, 10:22:25 PM

Monday is a good day to see some beaches, since most people will be at work. Fire Island is the classic "amazing" beach, but I wouldn't say it's a must-see. But I prefer the less-visited beaches, so don't listen to me. Anything along Ocean Parkway is probably good.
Cool! I would liek to get out to Montauk point\ light house and Fire Island light house, I will be staying in the Medford area, smack in the middle of LI.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.