News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

AARoads Blog

Started by austrini, June 03, 2009, 09:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

The new Florida 293

Photos and observations from the Mid-Bay Bridge north from Destin to Niceville and the new Mid-Bay Connector.

Alex

Indiana-Michigan Trip Day 1 (Montgomery, AL to Cincinnati, OH)

Trip report of day 1 of our recent trip to Indiana and Michigan.

Alex

Indiana-Michigan Trip Day 2 (Cincinnati, OH to Coldwater, MI)

A look at downtown Cincinnati, the Interstate 74 corridor west to Interstate 57 and the return trip to Indiana. Had daylight through to Elkhart but stopped the report at the end of the Tri-State.

Alex

Indiana-Michigan Trip Day 3 (Coldwater, MI to Port Huron, MI)

Interstates 69 north to Interstates 96 west to 196 to 94 east with stops at Lansing, Grand Rapids, and Battle Creek.

Alex

KEVIN_224

Are there really TWO I-69 shields on that one overhead BGS? Strange! :)

Alex

Alex

Mid-South Road Trip — May 19 — Pensacola, FL to Shreveport, LA

Mid-South Road Trip — May 20 — Shreveport, Texarkana, Little Rock, Clarksdale, MS

Summaries and photos of a two-day whirlwind roadtrip from Pensacola to Lake Charles, Shreveport, Texarkana, Little Rock, Clarksdale and back.

Zeffy

Quote from: Alex on May 29, 2014, 11:05:06 AM
Mid-South Road Trip — May 19 — Pensacola, FL to Shreveport, LA

Dear LADOTD:

This

Is

NOT

OKAY!

...ahem. Other than those fugly signs, great photos otherwise!

QuoteShields painted on the I-10 viaduct at I-110 resemble shields that a knight would use versus those for an Interstate highway.

LOL!
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

seicer

What's wrong with these? Perfectly legible signs, good use of font height (unlike some older Clearview font applications in Pennsylvania that had bad proportions) and nice spacing on the arrows that actually correspond to the lanes.

1995hoo

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on May 29, 2014, 11:44:47 AM
What's wrong with these? Perfectly legible signs, good use of font height (unlike some older Clearview font applications in Pennsylvania that had bad proportions) and nice spacing on the arrows that actually correspond to the lanes.

Some people feel strongly about the use of Clearview numbers because the FHWA didn't authorize it in their interim approval for the use of that typeface, although the FHWA's guidelines have been widely ignored.

What I find ugly on those signs is:

–On the first sign shown, the I-10 shield seems disproportionately small.

–But on the signs in the I-12/I-10 assembly, the shields look disproportionately big.

–The "Exit Only" arrows on the I-12 sign look too big because of how they jam up close against the top and bottom of the yellow area (compare to the downward-pointing arrows in the next photo).

–I find it illogical to use a space between the digit and the fraction ("1 ½ MILES" instead of "1½ MILES"–you don't put a space before a decimal point, for example, like "1 .5 miles").

–The pavement-marking shields look more like Quebec Autoroute shields than Interstate shields.

I don't think the Clearview numbers look bad on those particular signs at all, and they've certainly done a better job than some agencies that make the uppercase letters way too big (almost like they're using a drop capital).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.