News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5280

The H.E. Bailey Spur needs to be completed that last 6 miles to I-35. They just need to build new frontage roads and get it done. There is just enough ROW between the utility easements to build it.

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on January 09, 2023, 12:31:47 PM
The program still exists in various parts of the U.S., but yeah, a lot of businesses were like, "That's a great idea!...Oh wait, you mean we have to pick up litter more than once?"

Most of the Adopt-A-Highway sections around here are non-profit organizations, like Boy Scout troops, churches, and fraternities/sororities.

I remember when I was in Boy Scouts, we had a lock-in at the church once where we got to stay up all night playing video games, drinking soda, and eating pizza...then at daybreak we had to go out and pick up litter...yeah........

Quote from: kirbykart on January 09, 2023, 02:40:45 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 09, 2023, 02:24:27 PM
On the topic of Adopt-A-Road, imagine if AARoads adopted a road. Where would we go?

We would adopt the H.E. Bailey Turnpike Spur to Norman, OK.

As someone who used to have that on my commute...why? I don't remember it having a whole lot of trash along it. The 80 MPH speed limit is pretty cool, though.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

On the topic of Adopt-A-Road, imagine if AARoads adopted a road. Where would we go?

Part of the AA Highway in Kentucky, of course.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 09, 2023, 07:34:08 PM
The program still exists in various parts of the U.S., but yeah, a lot of businesses were like, "That's a great idea!...Oh wait, you mean we have to pick up litter more than once?"

Most of the Adopt-A-Highway sections around here are non-profit organizations, like Boy Scout troops, churches, and fraternities/sororities.

I remember when I was in Boy Scouts, we had a lock-in at the church once where we got to stay up all night playing video games, drinking soda, and eating pizza...then at daybreak we had to go out and pick up litter...yeah........

In some states, you sponsor the route so inmates can literally do the dirty work for you.

It's probably a different story in smaller towns; for example, the local church cleans up their half-mile of roadway near my house but asks for volunteers.

LilianaUwU

A new building forces a stop sign to be on the far side of an intersection, at least until it gets hooked up to the building itself:

Stop sign on the far end of the intersection by Liliana Vess, on Flickr
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 09, 2023, 07:34:08 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that ~200 km stretch of ON 401 is cleaned up by such non-profit associations.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

thenetwork

I just passed a sign in Aztec, NM (SR- 516)that only says:  DO NOT THROW TRASH

I guess it is okay to just gently drop it on the ground next to you....

kphoger

Quote from: thenetwork on January 10, 2023, 10:38:01 PM
I just passed a sign in Aztec, NM (SR- 516)that only says:  DO NOT THROW TRASH

I guess it is okay to just gently drop it on the ground next to you....

This is a common sign in Mexico, although it's of the sort whose use is now deprecated.

(The first time we drove to Mexico, my wife thought she kept seeing signs that meant "NO TIRE TRASH" in English.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ClassicHasClass

CoreySamson

I thought this was strange wording for a construction sign...

Riverside Dr. @ S John Williams Way, Tulsa, OK
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Amaury

A sign for Montana Secondary Highway 375 at a junction with Montana Highway 2, but from the little research I've done, there is no such highway. Noticed it when I was coming back from my drive to Whitehall back on September 27.

https://goo.gl/maps/WVA3oWnuWgTa5KAX9

https://goo.gl/maps/w7YtpbEW4knoANrX8
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

FrCorySticha

Quote from: Amaury on January 13, 2023, 07:53:16 PM
A sign for Montana Secondary Highway 375 at a junction with Montana Highway 2, but from the little research I've done, there is no such highway. Noticed it when I was coming back from my drive to Whitehall back on September 27.

Wiki states that Continental Drive was Secondary 375 until 1993. Those signs are clearly newer than that, and apparently were posted by MDT based off the existence of the decal on the back. I don't think MDT used decals like that in 1993. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_secondary_highways_in_Montana#Sec0375

thenetwork

I have been through Craig, CO well over a dozen times. But I just happened to look up at the right time today for this gem...

This one is vintage, likely over 30 years old.  I believe the reason this one still stands is because the trees on either side of the pole has turned it into a hidden, forgotten assembly:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/uQRj4jEcbMVbT2DV6

US 89

Quote from: thenetwork on January 18, 2023, 08:51:38 PM
I have been through Craig, CO well over a dozen times. But I just happened to look up at the right time today for this gem...

This one is vintage, likely over 30 years old.  I believe the reason this one still stands is because the trees on either side of the pole has turned it into a hidden, forgotten assembly:

Whoa, how have I never seen that? I have also been through Craig, westbound by that sign, probably a dozen times. Makes me wonder what else I've missed right under my nose.

thenetwork

Quote from: US 89 on January 18, 2023, 08:55:27 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on January 18, 2023, 08:51:38 PM

Whoa, how have I never seen that? I have also been through Craig, westbound by that sign, probably a dozen times. Makes me wonder what else I've missed right under my nose.

Even in the dead of winter with no leaves on the trees, it's still pretty camouflaged!!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/cNnyLBPZDCHTnfjZ7

zachary_amaryllis

All the roads that trigger people. Things like I-238, Breezewood, I-99 and the like.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

hbelkins

When you need a "y" and don't have one in your stock of demountable copy, just cut the top off a "g" instead.

On the Daniel Boone Hal Rogers Parkway eastbound between London and Manchester. The signs originally listed only London and Hazard, but Hyden was added later.

2022 road trip photos - 227 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

2022 road trip photos - 228 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/62Saq8ZqS2tyt3BG8
This mileage sign seems to feel the need to post the "mi"  abbreviation for miles instead of the standard numbers only.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

machias

Quote from: roadman65 on January 25, 2023, 11:25:26 AM
This mileage sign seems to feel the need to post the "mi"  abbreviation for miles instead of the standard numbers only.

I believe there's a sign on NY 12 South approaching NY 49 that lists the next three interchanges with mileage, and "MILE"  is on every line.  There's a newer version that this one.

formulanone

Quote from: machias on January 25, 2023, 09:53:30 PM

I believe there's a sign on NY 12 South approaching NY 49 that lists the next three interchanges with mileage, and "MILE"  is on every line.  There's a newer version that this one.

Here's that sign in 2018, so they just carbon copied it...

JoePCool14

Quote from: formulanone on January 26, 2023, 05:12:19 AM
Quote from: machias on January 25, 2023, 09:53:30 PM
This mileage sign seems to feel the need to post the “mi” abbreviation for miles instead of the standard numbers only.

I believe there’s a sign on NY 12 South approaching NY 49 that lists the next three interchanges with mileage, and “MILE” is on every line.  There’s a newer version that this one.

Here's that sign in 2018, so they just carbon copied it...

That is a lazy carbon copy. They could've removed the MILE tags, removed AND from the third line, removed both Jct tags, and increased the size of the W in West (assuming this was done since 2009).

1 1/4 MILES also sounds better than 1 1/4 MILE.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

Didn't NY post signage in km for a while at one point? I wonder if this sign was immediately before or after one in km.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 26, 2023, 08:26:44 AM
Didn't NY post signage in km for a while at one point? I wonder if this sign was immediately before or after one in km.

I'm not sure what year it was (1993 or 1994), but early in the Clinton administration all projects funded by the Department of Transportation projects were required to be done in metric.  The firm I worked with started producing everything in metric for non-DOT funded projects because at any moment our clients might get an infusion of some Federal monies.  Not sure if this made any difference, but about the same time we got a bunch of projects in other countries (all of which used metric).  If I recall correctly, this ended prior to Clinton's second term.

The FHWA still has this posting from 1995:  https://highways.dot.gov/public-roads/summer-1995/metric-conversion-how-soon

J N Winkler

I think it's interesting that the older distance sign has state route marker digits in Series D, while the newer one has them in Series F.  Isn't it supposed to be the other way round?

When I first started collecting construction plans in the early noughties, many were in metric, often with special logos in the chopblocks.  But the contractor backlash was already well in progress, so state DOTs started noping out of metric one by one.  The Millennium and 2003 editions of the MUTCD were explicitly designed to be metric-compatible, while the 2009 follows 1988 in using customary units only.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Amaury

Nothing too special, but, for some reason, at this one location, the US 2/US 97 concurrency isn't signed when heading northeast. The concurrency is otherwise perfectly signed everywhere else. They could probably easily add a US 97 shield below the US 2 shield, though: https://goo.gl/maps/4SDcMrairyiZZqVQ7
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.